Punto Sport (1.3 MJD - diesel with VGT, 85bhp) 73 33.33%
Punto T-Jet (1.4 turbocharged petrol, 108bhp) 131 59.82%
I prefer (or already own) an existing variant of the Punto 15 6.85%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 19:36   #31
BHPian

I would vote for the MJD any day.with fuel prices all set for another hike and no reduction in prices going to come any time soon, the t-jet will not be practical at all!!that too at the price they may be planning to sell it.

I too am a petrol-head and the description which roms gave is something even i have experienced in my 1.6!!but at the end of the drive, there is always the visit to the fuel station and then i regret what i did!!!enthusiasts have to think practically too so the petrol engine would not make sense!!at least for fiat!!
Old 15th February 2010, 19:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Voted for diesel 85 bhp option. I think Fiat makes better diesel units than petrol units.
Next, its more practical to have diesel considering the rising cost of fuel. Also the torque is available in greater amount which actually helps, both on highway and city driving. And the torque does help a lot while overtaking on highways. It actually makes the car safer while overtaking as one has to spend less time on the wrong side. The difference might be just a 0.5 or 1 second, but it does matter.

The real reason why diesel takes the crown is because of its lower operating cost. I am big fan of high revving petrols that have power concentrated on the top of revv range. Here, diesel is more practical than the petrol as it has better torque and operating cost.

Had it been Suzuki or Honda, I would have voted for petrol units.
Old 16th February 2010, 00:36   #33
Senior - BHPian

I want both!
It'll with great indeed if both these engines are added/replaced to/with the current Punto range.

The range-topper T-Jet would set the streets on fire,but not quite the sales chart.But it'll bring back the magic of the Palio 1.6 back,and will soon have a fan following.Good for Fiat.

The MJD on the other hand will generate the sales plus it won't be a douche-bag on the roads either.Again good for Fiat.
Old 16th February 2010, 00:44   #34
BHPian

Its gonna be the 1.4 T-jet for me. I also know it is going to be a distant dream.
Old 16th February 2010, 11:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

Had it been Suzuki or Honda, I would have voted for petrol units.

You are funny, Suzuki uses fiat Diesel engines and honda does not have a diesel car accross the segments in india, so why going OT.

Pramod
Old 16th February 2010, 11:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Voted for diesel 85 bhp option. I think Fiat makes better diesel units than petrol units.
This is debatable, they actually make fine petrol motors too. Look at the 1.6 100 Bhp DOHC engine, it is a sweet combination of very good low end torque, raw power when revved, and decent FE - yea a 100 Bhp engine that gives you 14-15 Kmpl on highways in a car like Petra is a decent FE.

The engine is rev-happy and it begs to be driven hard unlike the typical 85 Bhp engine which cries for mercy when floored or revved hard. Forget that the humble 1.2 SOHC engine in Palio has amazing torque at lower rpms compared to these 85 bhp engines.

Quote:
And the torque does help a lot while overtaking on highways. .
IMO, it's not the really torque but the turbo kick that helps you more to do an easy overtaking in a Turbo diesel.

Last edited by clevermax : 16th February 2010 at 11:51.
Old 16th February 2010, 11:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Next, its more practical to have diesel considering the rising cost of fuel.
Well hopefully soon enough they have that extra tax on diesel cars to nullify the subsidy advantage on fuel.

Quote:
Also the torque is available in greater amount which actually helps, both on highway and city driving. And the torque does help a lot while overtaking on highways. It actually makes the car safer while overtaking as one has to spend less time on the wrong side. The difference might be just a 0.5 or 1 second, but it does matter.
As per figures I read here, T-Jet produces some 200Nm of torque at 2500rpm and being a petrol will do that for a longer time than a diesel. I think that's quite a lot of torque and only about 10-15% less than what a Fiat 1.3VGT produces.

And your overtaking argument holds little water. It depends on speed of overtaking, length on vehicle being overtaken, number of vehicles to overtake etc etc. But taking the safest option, why overtake if 0.5-1 sec makes a difference between life and death!
Old 16th February 2010, 14:40   #38
Team-BHP Support

The future's bright, the future's diesel. 100% agree with roms.
Old 16th February 2010, 20:58   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Even with 85 BHP, the Punto is really not going to be fast, is it. For enthusiasts, ONLY the T-Jet will do! No two sides to that.

Ideally though, Fiat should launch both. A VGT 1.3 MJD with 85 horses, and the stonking T-Jet.

EDIT : IIRC, the T-Jet was only planned for the Linea, and NOT the Punto. When did this news come in? My information is based on first hand interaction with company execs.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2010 at 21:00.
Old 16th February 2010, 21:33   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Even with 85 BHP, the Punto is really not going to be fast, is it. For enthusiasts, ONLY the T-Jet will do! No two sides to that.

Ideally though, Fiat should launch both. A VGT 1.3 MJD with 85 horses, and the stonking T-Jet.

EDIT : IIRC, the T-Jet was only planned for the Linea, and NOT the Punto. When did this news come in? My information is based on first hand interaction with company execs.
I don't think the news has come in GTO. This poll is basically a wishlist for Fiat, that's it.If only wishes were horses, Fiat will bring in both as you yourself wished
Old 28th February 2010, 23:59   #41
BHPian

I vote T-Jet.
If performance is needed and a quick dash to 100 is wanted, Petrol is the only option at this point. I don't like driving much above 100 any where near any city, but it's how fast I get to that speed matters.

That aside, a large part would depend how good the engine is in a Fiat. The MJD is much better in the Swift than the Punto.
Old 1st March 2010, 00:07   #42
BHPian

haven't read through all the posts - but its quite simple - the words diesel and sport don't really go together - diesel is economy not sport - thats the reason why i hate the fiat 500 in india. and no don't tell me about the oddball diesel sports cars or the oodles of torque and black smoke :-)

throw in the words petrol and sport and throw a turbo in the mix and thats what we all want - something you can rev the nuts off :-D
come on fiat don't try to tell us what sport is - 1.4tjet it is, unless you just want to badge it sport and give it a few lame cosmetic mods!

Last edited by jassi : 1st March 2010 at 00:09.
Old 1st March 2010, 04:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

The diesel would be quite spritely and make more sense, the Punto Sport with better quality interiors should be one heck of a hatch.
Old 1st March 2010, 13:10   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
haven't read through all the posts - but its quite simple - the words diesel and sport don't really go together - diesel is economy not sport - thats the reason why i hate the fiat 500 in india. and no don't tell me about the oddball diesel sports cars or the oodles of torque and black smoke :-)

throw in the words petrol and sport and throw a turbo in the mix and thats what we all want - something you can rev the nuts off :-D
come on fiat don't try to tell us what sport is - 1.4tjet it is, unless you just want to badge it sport and give it a few lame cosmetic mods!
There was Audis Diesel that (black) smoked all the competitors cars in Le Mans couple of years back. There are many fomum members who have repeatedly mentioned how enthusiastically their Swift Diesel perform (w/o Pete-ing) vis-a-vis the petrol cars in street races.

I vote for the Punto diesel anyday. But, I also hear that Fiat have developed a latest varient of (national) diesel engine that produces 95 bhp (increase of 5 bhp overthe existing one).

But, the ineriors should anyway improve in Punto (like in 2010 Linea).
Old 1st March 2010, 15:55   #45
BHPian

It is merely a wish list and not the manufacturer's agenda. I don't think that for a very long time to come, Fiat will even think about powerful yet thirsty engines for the Indian market. However, if they do, it will have to be a 2-door, sunroof, body decals, seksy alloys, body hugging seats with a 1.4 Tjet under the hood.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks