Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 09:07   #16
BHPian

The petrol variant never had a huge waiting period. I got my Petrol Dzire way back in June 2008 in around 3 weeks. 3 weeks at a time when the car was just launched in the market. I got it from Kerala as in Chennai they told to wait for about 1 month.
Old 16th February 2010, 09:09   #17
Team-BHP Support

From what i know Swift Dzire Vdi in white has long waiting periods,
others significantly less
Old 16th February 2010, 09:30   #18
BHPian

Culprit is "extort" not "export"

Quote:
Originally Posted by aKrain View Post
I believe MS also exports a lot of cars from India and they must be earning better margins on those models. Hence, the capacity constraint in India and the long waiting period
Sales for FY 08-09

Domestic : 722144
Export: 70023

Export is nominal, hence it can not dent the dometic supply.

Culprit is 'Extort' and not 'Export'
Old 16th February 2010, 19:54   #19
BHPian

To be fair to MSIL, I think it is genuinely because they cannot meet production capacity to meet the demand. The agreement with Fiat says they cannot produce more than X engines per year. Of course Fiat makes more by selling cars than engines and their models are not selling so much.

Unfortunately for Maruti, some unscrupulous dealers are creating a reputation and are using the long waiting period argument as a marketing USP. That is bad. The Dzire was never the best in its segment. Maybe more manzas/fiestas/Lineas on the road will make Maruti see some sense and bring out a better engineered car.
Old 16th February 2010, 20:28   #20
BHPian

I don't think that a company will produce less number cars, show waiting period as a marketing gimmick.
rather they will make more cars, sell more and thus make more profit.

So i think it is capacity constraints of some sort somewhere.

-Sanjubaba
Old 16th February 2010, 21:47   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

The waiting period is only because of the unprecedented demand for the car because of its sheer VFM attributes ;I know cases of people graduating from a hatch to executives downgrading from Corollas - both categories zeroing on this model.

Diesels are in bigger demand,Pearl white in particular.
Old 16th February 2010, 21:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
The waiting period is only because of the unprecedented demand for the car because of its sheer VFM attributes ;I know cases of people graduating from a hatch to executives downgrading from Corollas - both categories zeroing on this model.

Yes, the Dzire has become a madness. Tomorrow they can launch a completely different car and call it the Dzire. Even if it is an eggshell Indian people will buy it. Such is the craze. The most important thing I am waiting to see is how the Etios sells when it comes out.
The Dzire is probably the best example of a not-so-great car that has become a success.This is just my personal opinion so please don't flame me.But there is an easy option he he . Buy a Manza .I heard some tweets that even the Manza has a waiting period.What do you call this?
Old 16th February 2010, 22:06   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

The Manza is certainly a good option;but then people's perception of Marutis and Tatas are poles apart.

and the standard question that people ask is,"What value does the car command during resale?"The answer tilts scales in favour of the DZire.

I am a big fan of Maruti quality,having owned and experienced two cars of theirs, but the approach of their people is third class.
Old 16th February 2010, 22:10   #24
BHPian

I guess it takes that much of time for swift to gain extra 40kgs dry weight

Jokes apart , probably it has to do something with the supply chain ( ? ) or indeed a marketing gimmick to show off the demand which in turn increases the demand and proof is it's numbers ( sale ) although voted as the car with ugliest butt!
Old 16th February 2010, 22:21   #25
BHPian

Like how Coconut is dear to Kerala, so is Maruti to Indians. So nothing to get surprised about the waiting period !
Old 16th February 2010, 22:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjubaba View Post
I don't think that a company will produce less number cars, show waiting period as a marketing gimmick.
rather they will make more cars, sell more and thus make more profit.

So i think it is capacity constraints of some sort somewhere.

-Sanjubaba
I absolutely agree, had there been a possibility they would not let people wait & look for other options, MS will immediately latch on all customers by increasing production

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

I dont think it is only about demand, reason already being stated above. The real reason which also seems logical is the constraint which Fiat deal may have put on them due to the limitation in production of number of engines

But as i could not have waited for Swift (not Dzire) i bought GP E+ and i am very happy
Old 16th February 2010, 22:40   #27
Senior - BHPian

Have you guys thought of a situation where the Swifts and Dzires were readily available? Would there be any difference in demand for indian car buyers?
Old 16th February 2010, 22:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Have you guys thought of a situation where the Swifts and Dzires were readily available? Would there be any difference in demand for indian car buyers?
Yes I have .That situation would last for a few days or weeks only .
Else I will eat my toothpaste. And there will be a difference in the demand. It will increase .
Old 17th February 2010, 00:19   #29
BHPian

i got my dzire ldi the same day i booked....i had to compromise on the colour of my vehicle but it was not that important for me......yes they are short of cars but not as much as they project to be .....the sales guy told me that the car which he is giving to me is booked for someone else who is not accepting the delivery due to shraddh period....still i got the car on the 1st navratra....when i asked the sales guy that what answer will they give to the person who has waited for it ...he said that they will send him a letter stating that due to his non-acceptance of delivery the car is given to someone else and he has to wait for sometime now(who on earth would buy this statement).....i was happy to walk out with that car....they have a simple funda .....if a customer can wait then let him wait...if he can't and threats to buy another car(ford fiesta base model in my case) then give a car to him....

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team :
Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this.
Thanks.

Last edited by bblost : 17th February 2010 at 12:10. Reason: Please check your post.
Old 17th February 2010, 07:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
First of all it is not Maruti it is 99% suzuki now .Maruti is just the name.
Waiting period is only a fool making system to impress on people how popular the car is !

I second you on this. Being a fan of Swift, I respect this car a lot. But Dezire does not deserve a waiting period. Of course its a good car but after all its the same Swift. I'd rather buy a Swift than buying a Dezire.

Well, before something ignites, "My fellow BHPians, no offense meant here. I didn't want to offend anyone saying this. Respect others opinions too".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks