Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 18:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
So what is next, Like the global auto majors, Split TM to Passenger Cars and Commerical vehicles divisions with seperate management and independent charge, reporting to Mr Foster?
Looks like TM right now focussed on Cars. I hope commercial vehicles, bread & butter of TM will not get neglected. Right now, lot of new entrants are coming to the Indian CV segment, and TM cannot afford to loose its focus.
I think that will be a good move. TATA Motors should concentrate on passanger cars while a new firm for CVs should be created. This was, efficiency could be maximized and economies of scales could also be achieved in their respective industries.
Old 19th February 2010, 23:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
I think that will be a good move. TATA Motors should concentrate on passanger cars while a new firm for CVs should be created. This was, efficiency could be maximized and economies of scales could also be achieved in their respective industries.
Rajiv Dubey should report to Mr Foster similar to Dr. Ralf Speth of JLR, not to Telang...as simple as that.......

Last edited by teamveevee : 19th February 2010 at 23:42.
Old 20th February 2010, 00:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

I hope "Carl bhai" revives the Aria/open roadster/coupe concept and brings one into production. TATA Motors must have a flashy roadster if it plans to make inroads in major markets and even in growing but discerning markets such as South Africa and Brazil too.
Old 20th February 2010, 03:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Ravi Kant has been made the non-executive Vice-Chairman of Tata Motors and Carl Foster reports to him and the board.

I always thought Rajiv Dubey was the no.2 and would succeed Ravi Kant.

Anyways an expatriate is good as TM absolutely needed knowledge of Best Practices across segments and geographies and this is where "Carl - Bhai" will be helpful
Old 20th February 2010, 06:46   #20
Senior - BHPian

Mr.Foster was the rebel within GM. He strongly campaigned for GMs European operations especially Vauxhall/Opel to be independent of the US parents interference. The European operations have severely suffered under the parenthood of GM America wherein they had to live with a stepmother'ly attitude, poor investment, forced sharing of sub standard American platforms, and the final straw came when chevrolet badged Daewoos (which even after a decade has negligible sales in Europe) were shoved down their throats rather than concentrate on Vauxhall/Opel.

He led the campaign for the Magna/Sberbank constrium to buy Opel. This would have been a masterstroke had he succeeded, one the operations would be free of a debt ridden parent, a la GM, secondly they would have ready access to global production facilities of Magna (worlds largest sub-contract car maker) rather than rely on European production alone, and the financial muscle of Russian banking powerhouse Sberbank. But GM somehow stayed onto Opel and Foster had no option but to resign.

The biggest advantage I think Tata will have from this veteran is his links with Magna and Sberbank, giving them instant access to a Global manufacturing base and financial muscle.
Old 20th February 2010, 07:48   #21
BHPian

Seems to me like Mr. Forster was brought in primarily to establish the global footprint of TML. With Nano revolution ready to spread beyond india in a few months and the intention of TATA to market Aria MUV in european markets, it is time for TML to have a global view and this seems like a step in the right direction.

Good luck TATA.
Old 21st February 2010, 11:53   #22
BHPian

OT

I felt This is the best place to ask this question about TATA motors finacial stability after their JLR aquisition causing pressures for TML.

One of my friend is contemplating to invest sizeable amonunt around 25L in TATA motors Fixed deposit scheme for 3 years tenure. Is it a good decision to go ahead with TML offered FD scheme?

My friend lost money with Citibank/Zurich managed funds.
Investing 25L in TML pose Any serious risks?

In year 2010 with the positive turn around in Indian economy, how much risk JLR aqusition posing for TML?

Expert advise will be highly appreciated.
Old 31st March 2010, 11:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Carl Forster appointed MD of Tata Motors. From the official Press Release

Quote:
Appointment of Mr. Carl-Peter Forster as
Managing Director of Tata Motors.

Mumbai, March 30, 2010: At the meeting of Tata Motors’ Board of Directors today, Mr. Carl-Peter Forster was appointed as Managing Director and Group CEO of the Company with effect from April 1, 2010.

This is in continuation of the announcement on February 15, 2010 of the appointment of Mr. Forster as the Group CEO, with overall responsibility of Tata Motors’ operations globally, including Jaguar and Land Rover.

Last edited by Dippy : 31st March 2010 at 11:36.
Old 31st March 2010, 13:28   #24
BHPian

Whats clear from all this is that TATA motors wants to be a global company - and it wants the sheen at the top to take it there.

Clearly they beleive that they can emulate Hyundai to become a global player - the difference being that they think the EU is a more relevant market than the US for them.

I just feel sorry for the guy who led JLR through the financial crisis - hope he was resettled well (with a good severance package)

Most Viewed