Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 12:44   #61
BHPian

IMO there is no issue related to any of the car(Verna or Indica) here, except the driver and driving condition in our country where I think you can not go further to 100KMPH in any good highway, because you never know from where the big trucks, animals or even some fanatic people come across your car??And I think in our country no one is serious about "Lane changing" or rather to say no one knows what the **** is "Lane changing" or not to come in wrong side, how to cross the roads etc!! Majority of people drive the vehicle without any rules and regulations.
So considering these all facts, I strongly believe that our roads or highway are not made to go further to 100KMPH, even our National Express Highway No.1(Ahmedabad to Baroda) has max speed limit of 100KMPH for cars and 80KMPH for heavy vehicles where the highway is completely guarded by fencing so no animal or even a person can enter on it and there is no entry to any two or three wheeler!!
Old 16th February 2010, 12:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
jraj:I really dont know who to blame on this - Is it Hyundai for giving a true performance engine or the buyer's who are in a mad rush to meet their makers?
I dont think Verna with poor safety feature can be called performance car. Performance without safety is a BIG NO NO!

Hyundai should have detuned the car if they were not offering the safety features.

Having said that, Hyundai are not only to blame. Being a responsible driver, one should understand his/her car before trying to squeeze the performance out of it!

@normally_crazy,

are you talking about indicabs? in that case its due to those cabbies without driving sense! Even with safety features and ABS fitted Indicab, I am sure you will see indicabs with airbags open every where
Old 16th February 2010, 12:52   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
I am going to start a thread on the Dangerous Indica - all of you please reply there.
I think Greenhorn is out to beat you to it.

That said, i believe the question which the OP posed was with respect to what he has observed. As mentioned by others, this observation is highly dependent on the sample data which is used to arrive at the conclusion.

Its a fact that its the driver behind the wheels who needs to learn where the limits lie, and not push beyond it.

What we as consumers need to do is push for greater safety features to be provided as standard on cars, and opt for the safer options against saving money by skimping on the safety features. Honda showed the way with providing ABS as standard on all variants of the new City.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:55   #64
BHPian

Its a fairly speculative thread. I have nothing to contribute cuz I have never driven Verna and neither have I seen totalled Verna's on road. That said, A reasonable title for this thread would have been - Is Verna an unsafe at high speeds ? or Are the Verna brakes sufficient for high speeds its capable of? or something on those lines - a fairly neutral title.

Hyundai Verna CRDI- is it an uncontrollable death trap on wheels? though only slightly different makes it sound as though Verna at high speeds can result in certain death or is a certain death trap or whatever. With this title it will sure invite the wrath of Verna owners irrespective of how politely questions are worded under the title.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:58   #65
BHPian

I think some of us have started to miss the whole point in the original posting. It echoed a very persistent rumor about the Verna which has been there since its launch.

And since when have automobile enthusiasts started complaining about acceleration and lots of it?

And while on it, does somebody remember the toppling over scare when the Santro was first launched?

Last edited by Yeldo : 16th February 2010 at 13:09.
Old 16th February 2010, 12:59   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What kind of logic is this ?

All my life I have only seen Indicas crashed not even a single Verna - according to me the Indica is a much more dangerous vehicle.
The Indica is a hot seller, especially in the taxi market. The Verna is not that popular. So if the OP sees as many crashed Vernas as, say, Santros at his workshop on a consistent basis, then something isn't right. The numbers have to be in the same ratio as the number of cars running on the road.

The OPs observations are not conclusive, nor has he ever claimed they are. But you have to start somewhere. And that's why he's asking Verna owners whether they have faced issues controlling the car at speed. Quite a few Verna owners have answered that they do have issues at speed. Perhaps those who have no issues are more talented and safe drivers. But when many owners have issues with the Verna's behaviour, its time for Hyundai to throw in fatter tyres, a stiffer suspension and better brakes.
Old 16th February 2010, 13:04   #67
Senior - BHPian

Well, when I saw the title of this thread, only one thing came to my mind. If I were still in the middle east, I would have replaced Hyundai Vernai CRDI with NISSAN MAXIMA and everything said here will fit perfect.
Nissan Maxima is called the Death-Car in the middle east with surival chances of less than 1% in case of accidents. Very fast, but uncontrollable at high speeds, have caused so many deaths, most of them youngsters of course, in Saudi Arabia.
Youngsters drive crazy, but they drive all kind of cars there. More fatalities with Maxima.
Maxima and Verna have the same problem I guess, too light to stop or steer at high speeds. The Maxima almost feels like floating above 120 kmph,while other cars like Camry or Galant keeps low, planted to the road. I haven't driven a Verna yet, but I can guess from all the dicussions the same scenario here too.
Old 16th February 2010, 13:27   #68
Senior - BHPian

Interesting thread.
Many seem to be of the opinion that it is actually the driver (who must be careful) and not a particular car which is ultimately responsible for the accidents. As a general rule, a well designed product (car in this case) should take in to account the potential behavior of the users including the chances of making 'human' errors, and provide means to minimise the damage.
Car with a powerful engine 'must' have good braking ability and other safety mechanisms. Cars and many mass products are not designed for 'clever' or 'expert' users but for 'Average' and sometimes 'Dumb' people. That's what I belive as a good design philisophy.
Old 16th February 2010, 13:31   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Well, when I saw the title of this thread, only one thing came to my mind. If I were still in the middle east, I would have replaced Hyundai Vernai CRDI with NISSAN MAXIMA and everything said here will fit perfect.
Nissan Maxima is called the Death-Car in the middle east with surival chances of less than 1% in case of accidents. Very fast, but uncontrollable at high speeds, have caused so many deaths, most of them youngsters of course, in Saudi Arabia.
Youngsters drive crazy, but they drive all kind of cars there. More fatalities with Maxima.
Maxima and Verna have the same problem I guess, too light to stop or steer at high speeds. The Maxima almost feels like floating above 120 kmph,while other cars like Camry or Galant keeps low, planted to the road. I haven't driven a Verna yet, but I can guess from all the dicussions the same scenario here too.
Tooo shocking stats here... and lots of guessing.. in the end..
By the way whats the lower speed limit in middle east..? Is it that only the youngsters drive fast or that everyone has to drive fast because of that limit..
Old 16th February 2010, 13:36   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to what SStraveller mentioned. I would attribute the driver skills ahead of the bad quality of a car's component atleast in this particular case.

Even i have experienced my Pete'd Viva CRDi just cannot stop in a rush on OEM tyres ( due to which i had a minor accident as well) and after tyre upgrade to additional 20mm thickness, stopping power and handling has miraculously changed.

Some points :-

1. Driver Skills is as equally important as knowing how far you can push a Verna

2. Upgrade tyres and maintain them properly. Like SS mentioned, all those cars seem to adorn worn tyres

3. Buy this car with ABS or dont buy it

I have driven a Verna several times and like everyone i am also addicted to it's insane power.

Only thing that i found different from Viva CRDi is that my car had better road handling manners than a Verna. I found the Verna to be quite bouncy after 100kmph which becomes evident even for backseat passengers.

Do the Verna owners experience this phenomenon? If yes, Do they feel its a major hindrance?
Old 16th February 2010, 13:39   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Braking performance :

80-0kmph
Verna VGT - 31.8m - 2.72secs
Verna 1.6 - 34.9m - 3.08secs

100-0
Verna VGT - 51.1m - 3.88secs
Verna 1.6 - 51.2m - 3.76secs

Shan2nu
Is the 100-0 figure not high?

I havent driven a Verna either to comment on it! But there are a few owners who have written about losing confidence on speeds above 120! Looks to be a genuine glitch that needs to be addressed, by Hyundai.

Giving a car that can do 0-100 in under 10 secs is just not enough, the 100-0 matters more than the 0-100 for the driver to be there to see this world.
Old 16th February 2010, 13:49   #72
BHPian

Still can't forget the accident happened to my friend in Verna. Lost the control when he crossed 140kmph and luckily the person is still alive.
Old 16th February 2010, 13:58   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

Anyway, the point is, a car is like a bottle of whisky. It is only as dangerous as the man who reaches out for it!

So don't give the Verna a bad name. Enjoy the fact that atleast one manufacturer dared to give us a performance diesel sedan below 10 lakhs, and enjoy the power responsibly.
Bravo! Well said.

~ A living uncrashed Verna CRDi owner. Me.

Quote:
What kind of logic is this ?

All my life I have only seen Indicas crashed not even a single Verna -
I disagree. I have seen no crashed Indicas in the Hyundai workshop. You should go to the Tata workshop to take pictures and write about the Indica.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 16th February 2010 at 14:00.
Old 16th February 2010, 13:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

I agree with few of the posts her that it is nothing to do with the car. It is all to do with the person driving behind the wheel.

Many a times, in Guragon and Delhi, I have seen Maruti 800's and for some reason Suzuki Ritz cars speeding excessivly. And on several occasisons I have seen these cars crashed. I dont think it apt to say the Ritz has bad brakes etc. BUt some people do not know how to follow road discipline or do not understand basic laws of physics.

Verna is a decent car, with good power at its disposal and at times in the wrong hands
Old 16th February 2010, 14:07   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
As a general rule, a well designed product (car in this case) should take in to account the potential behavior of the users including the chances of making 'human' errors, and provide means to minimise the damage.
Car with a powerful engine 'must' have good braking ability and other safety mechanisms. Cars and many mass products are not designed for 'clever' or 'expert' users but for 'Average' and sometimes 'Dumb' people. That's what I belive as a good design philisophy.
I agree to that Guna. The design has to take everything into consideration. Hyundai has provided a GREAT engine at a very much affordable price point where an upgrade from M800 to Verna is easily possible. But for Verna to be a good performance car, it should compliment the engine with better dynamic abilities.

All people upgrading to a Verna may not able to control it. Some people (not the enthusiasts here) have a feeling that bigger the car, safer it is to take it to high speeds. They end up knowing they were wrong only when they actually take it to speeds higher than what they can control.

So blame has to go to the drivers as well. Hyundai could have been a little more sensible by providing ABS and fatter tyres across all variants, but then, a car is only as safe as the one who drives it.

OT: Another car which is a potential candidate for a similar thread would be the Vista with a VGT. It can do serious speeds even with the FGT, but has real bad cornering abilities. Sorry for being off topic.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed