Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 20:26   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?

My intention is not product bashing but I am asking a real question- is a Hyundai verna diesel CRDI an uncontrollable car at high speeds?
  • I am alarmed at increasingly number of verna crdi cars being spotted at hyundai workshops with front ends completely ripped apart, suspension torn off, mangled offset crashed bodies, every third day on an average. Last week alone I think I saw about 14-15 cars in Delhi/Noida like these.
  • First, I hear that the car has below average brakes, then Hyundai deletes the rear discs from SX models and equips with skinny tyres.
  • No airbags, not even as an option, while the cheaper I20 has 6 of them.
Why this stepmotherly treatment in a high powered diesel sedan from Hyundai with absolute lack of safety features?

I want to ask Verna diesel owners that have they experianced any braking problem like wheels getting locked, long braking distances, uncontrollable chassis at high speeds etc?

Please post your True and honest experiences here.

Proof below: 5 cars, all diesels, all same fate, all clicked by me.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?-dsc02155.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?-dsc02156.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?-dsc02157.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?-dsc02158.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?-dsc02159.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?-dsc02163.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?-dsc02164.jpg  

Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?-dsc02270.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 15th February 2010 at 20:37.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:35   #2
BHPian

i second that.
i have also seen swift and dezire(diesels) in a similar condition at most maruti workshops.simply a case of skinny tires and too much torque.people take them to high speeds but dont know how to control them later.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Can we put it like that the Driver is at fault, mustang89 has pointed to the torque aspect which I agree to. There maybe some issues with the car as mentioned but ultimately a careful drive ensures safety against such collisions.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:59   #4
BANNED

I've driven one Verna, and its awfully fast.

The turbo kicks in so damn fast, that it is actually impossible to control the car during that period, but after it spools and running is fine, the brakes are not adequate.

This is the similar fate to most of Dieselised Dzires and Swifts, I dont understand why Maruti's and Hyundais have tuned it in such a way.

5 of my known friends and cousins have sold their DDIs swifts and gone in for Punto's and Vista's for the same reason.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

I dont think you can blame the car. If the driver is responsible and smart enough to understand his car, he will change his driving style accordingly.

We own a VTEC, Innova and Wagon R. 3 completely diff cars. If i start driving the Innova like the VTEC or the Wagon R like the Innova, im just asking for trouble.

It doesn't take an Einstein to realise a car's weak points.

If you feel the brakes are poor, start braking early.
If you find the suspension is too soft, cut down on your cornering speed.

Iv seen my own cousin drive his Swift D (with 165mm tyres) like he has 205s on it. Even i dont try braking that late on crowded roads (even though i drive a lighter car with 195s).

Now, after he's had a few close calls (smashed his bumper in one incident), he is thinking of a tyre upgrade.

Shan2nu
Old 15th February 2010, 21:16   #6
BHPian

I tend to agree on the poor brakes and breath taking acceleration which is USP as well as a downside.

I test drove Verna CRDi and found it to be a bit uncomformatble when turbo kicks in. The only way remains is engine braking by down shifting as brakes were not that effective.

Obviously Fiesta is making way into garage as I found it to me more controlled and composed even at high speed braking.

However I will not entirely blame on the Verna as even driver is equally responsible for the fate if he / she tries to take the vehicle for granted without realizing the weakness.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:17   #7
PCS
BHPian

Sid !

I own an verna crdi KA 03 MB 6191 , 3yr old (No Airbags, No Rear Discs)

I Somehow felt the car is ok upto speeds of 100.

But @160 the car feels bit nervous (and to some extent driver too)

The engine is absolutely ripper, i have replaced front tyres twice in a span of 57000 kms
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna CRDI-is it an unsafe car?-100_7519.jpg  

Old 15th February 2010, 21:19   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I'll tell you why. Because they didn't plonk that engine into too many Getz (else you'd have seen more Getz in worse condition than you see Vernas ). 110 bhp on tap, 24 kg-m of torque, responds like rocket-powered roller skates, and with an idiot behind the wheel. I'm sure there are more Vernas being crashed around the country than any other similar-priced sedan.
Well, Sid, I guess that comment of mine above provoked your thread. And it's true.

When I started driving the Accent Viva CRDi after graduating from an Indica over 5 years ago, ABS was not such a common thing. It wasn't an option in my car at all, though I would have paid a lot more to get it then than you would today.

Soon enough, I figured out that the car needed a lot more grip to stop than the OE tyres (175/70-R13) could offer it. Locking up was easy, and because there was minimal nosedive on braking unlike the Indica or SUVs, you hit the brakes harder - and locked them up. And it was a 82-bhp 19 kg-m 3-pot - the Verna can run rings around it.

Then came the Verna - with an even quieter engine that could eat the 3-pot CRDi for breakfast. 110 bhp, 24 kg-m, though the kerb weight went up by about 25 kg, and the tyres gained only 10 mm of extra rubber (185/65-R14). In the beginning ABS (or airbags) was not even an option. Six months after launch, Hyundai deigned to give us ABS for an extra Rs.30,000 or so, only on special order (the ABS car would take 3-4 weeks to be put together and sent from Chennai). So they never sold ABS-fitted Vernas (and even today only a small percentage of Vernas are sold with ABS).

Having driven a Verna (and a CRDi Getz), I can say my money would not go into these cars without ABS and a tyre upgrade, even for the kind of sedate driving I do - and I would also daresay that all those boy-racers who buy the Verna for its class-leading ability to nip in and out of traffic would rather save the few thousand INR on ABS and install bling.

In the hands of a good driver the Verna is a great car. In the wrong hands it is all too easy to push the car beyond the limits of its tyres and brakes.

My two cents.

EDIT: Look at the wheels of the cars in your pictures. All have alloy wheel upgrades, but the tyres appear in pretty lousy condition on most.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 15th February 2010 at 21:26.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Now, after he's had a few close calls (smashed his bumper in one incident), he is thinking of a tyre upgrade.
Shan2nu
All I'll say is that he's been lucky to get away with just a smashed bumper.

Agree with you that people need to understand the limitations of their cars.

Its unfortunate that the vast majority does not upgrade due to the fact that they don't understand the difference that spending a few thousand on a tyre upgrade can make.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

@SIDINDICA - Just I was expecting to see this thread to be started by you, especially after me going through the last page of "Accidents in India Pics".

So what I'd running on my head was, probably the vehicle tempts drivers to keep pushing further & only to find the vehicle could not be stopped as desired - the fact as you said - uncontrollable.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

This is the similar fate to most of Dieselised Dzires and Swifts, I dont understand why Maruti's and Hyundais have tuned it in such a way.
. While the kick is amazing its fatal at the same time. I recently bought a Dzire diesel and found it difficult to control once the turbo kicks in. You would have neared an object even before you lift your legs from the accelerator and put it on the brakes. Also you don't need to press the accelerator to get the car moving, releasing the clutch will do, and it moves damn fast at that (around 20kmph). I am yet to get a hang of taking a proper turn.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Good thread.

A primary reason I did not buy the Getz CRDi was because of lack of safety features - ABS, Airbags.

p.s. My insurance guy told me that they give VERY low discounts for policies for the Verna CRDi - Reason - Very high No of Claims!!

Last edited by AbhiJ : 15th February 2010 at 21:33.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looks like SID is trying some investigative journalism

i find the topic very good. As I am not an owner, i have no comment to make other than "the outcome of this discussion for sure will sensitise the owners and new potential owners"
Old 15th February 2010, 21:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

then the getz crdi should be an even bigger death trap.

I see tons of crashed indica's when i go to my TASC. I guess its a natural consequence of having so many of them.
Old 15th February 2010, 21:47   #15
BHPian

I agree, However What i belive is that goverment should enforce safety rules in the same wa as pollution rules & car above certain power should have ABS, Airbags & Discs.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed