Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2010, 21:49   #106

Though not an apple to apple comparison, this thread reminds me of the notoriety Bajaj Pulsar attained during its initial days. Riders enjoyed ample power at their disposal. The vehicle had good stability and was equipped with good brakes, still many many young lives were claimed. I personally know 2 such fatal incidents.

The point here is most of the accidents occurred before the riders got a good grip on the machine they were riding. I think any vehicle needs little time and attention to let the driver know of its DNA. Once you have tamed the beast, it won't let you down. But as I said it requires little time and patience to tame a beast.

I do not own either Verna or Pulsar so can't comment on their traits. Still I think this kind of discussions and threads could be eye-opener, which can spread the awareness to future buyers. Spend atleast 1000-2000 km to know your vehicle before you take it out for a glide.
Old 16th February 2010, 21:52   #107
BHPian

I have not driven the Verna diesel so I can't comment on it specifically.

Almost every Modern car in India can at least touch 120 kph. The difference is Verna gets there a lot quicker. As everyone said, the driver HAS to know his car's limits.

In general, how much importance does an average Indian buyer give to safety ?

If you give him a car with premium interiors, a blasting audio system, automatic power windows and another bare bones car with ABS and Airbags, 8 out of 10 would buy the first.

This is how we grew up. How we are in others' eyes takes priority over anything else. Cars with Bling and of course good FE do sell better.

The trend is slowly changing where we give more importance to safety.

Manufacturers, on the other hand need to have more options.

Why every car with ABS and Airbags have to be only fully loaded ?

Why can't I have a Swift Lxi or Hyundai i10 Era with at least ABS, Airbags at the Price of a Swift Vxi / i10 Sportz ?

For example, I can give power windows, premium fabric, integrated audio, climate control, spoilers, body coloured mirrors, bumpers a skip if you give me a basic car with ABS and Airbags.

Let us hope Manufacturers bring up a better variant strategy at least in the Future.

Last edited by para_7k : 16th February 2010 at 21:57.
Old 16th February 2010, 22:00   #108
BHPian

In any case, one point of the Verna is it is heavily heavily overpriced. At least Hyundai can plug the ABS and Airbags like on the top-end XXI. No need to change the price and further short-change our verna lovers ,but I think there is a valid case here for that.India has arrived, needs safety more than ever due to the accidental death rate (in general - not only due to the Verna), and that is not something that can be wished away.

Hyundai - are you listening?
Old 16th February 2010, 22:42   #109
Senior - BHPian

This thread has only added to the Verna's charm.

Its like one of those toys that have to be enjoyed by the responsible, grown up, skillful individuals, not for all. In their hands this toy will rock. The rest may hurt themselves playing with it.

Folks this is a diesel car and can make other so-called high performance petrol cars run for cover. Handling can be tidied up.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:08   #110
Senior - BHPian

The Gone in 60 secs thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
About your last para. Please start toning down. You have started getting personal now and are fast acquiring a tenor in this thread which we would rather not see. You may own a Verna and think the world of it. But that does not provide you any licenses to just start taking things so personally. Please start using facts, figures and arguments to support your judgement but not the "if you are not with me then you are my enemy" attitude.

And that holds for you as well sir. You are getting into a difficult territory there. You need not tell moderators on how they need to act. You have a problem? Be our guest and report it. If there is a merit to it we will act.

By the way, what gives you an idea that this is a "lousy car bashing thread" as you call it? The thread owner has observed something which he has posted here and sought the opinion of the owners of the said make of cars. It is a question that has been thrown at the members in general and to the owners in particular. The answer to which should involve some facts, figures and your arguments for or against it and a final wrapping line like "I agree with you" or else "I do not think I agree to your POV". Start acting a little more mature please. Everything does not need to become a rabble-rouser, troubled thread of pro and anti teams slugging it our.
Oh dear! The Rabbit hole indeed runs deep, doesn't it? Is it time I said "Malice, who the *** is Malice?"

Ok, some cold logic for you sir. The thread owner has observed something for which he has no numbers, no facts and figures, just some random pics and a brainstorm (which lead to creating this thread). Note that he doesn't even claim having driven a Verna. The entire thread is based on assumptions, hearsay and pics of 5 crashed cars! That doesn't seem a problem for you.

But when we poor Verna owners, people who are living with the car day in and day out, try to defend the car, it is then a big problem. The tone, oh the tone! Not realizing that one possibly cannot present facts and figures to prove hearsay wrong.

And poor old Pras! How dare you try to gang up with a fellow Verna owner and present argument, when the whole point of the thread is bakar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Bravo! Well said.

~ A living uncrashed Verna CRDi owner. Me.
That makes 2 of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
This thread is along the same lines as sid's other thread 'Is there a quality lapse at the Fiat plant'. Pure speculation based on a few random pics.
Hushhh! "Don't get personal"! Didnt you read what Zappo wrote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
This thread has only added to the Verna's charm.

Its like one of those toys that have to be enjoyed by the responsible, grown up, skillful individuals, not for all. In their hands this toy will rock. The rest may hurt themselves playing with it.

Folks this is a diesel car and can make other so-called high performance petrol cars run for cover. Handling can be tidied up.
Thank you for the uninitiated praise. Well summed up. I'm outta here.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:16   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghosh View Post
Though not an apple to apple comparison, this thread reminds me of the notoriety Bajaj Pulsar attained during its initial days.
Totally understand what you mean. When I was buying a Pulsar some 5 years back, lots of well-wishers advised me against it saying it was a dangerous bike to be on. I had a tough time explaining to them but nevertheless I went ahead and bought it

While I enjoyed the quick acceleration in stop-start traffic, I also used its excellent stopping power equally often. Of course I was careful to stay within the bike's and my own limits.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:28   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
In any case, one point of the Verna is it is heavily heavily overpriced. At least Hyundai can plug the ABS and Airbags like on the top-end XXI. No need to change the price and further short-change our verna lovers ,but I think there is a valid case here for that.India has arrived, needs safety more than ever due to the accidental death rate (in general - not only due to the Verna), and that is not something that can be wished away.

Hyundai - are you listening?
Verna comes with ABS also right? I own a Verna 2009 model and it has ABS with discbrakes on all 4 wheels. 2010 model had disc brakes only in the front.

Verna is a drivers car. Only thing is you need to know your car when you drive it. In no way it is an unsafe car.

Last edited by ArunV : 16th February 2010 at 23:30. Reason: edit
Old 16th February 2010, 23:29   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post

I totally Agree.

Its the one who drives and not what he/she drives.
If this was true, it was so uncalled for Toyota and Honda to recall all those vehicles.

It can never be solely dependent on one factor when you are talking about driving.

In my opinion; both the vehicle and the driver are partly responsible, and partly the conditions in which the accident happen and partly many more other factors.

Yes, some vehicles by design might be more prone to accidents at certain speeds/conditions; and this is what we are debating - just reminding some guys about the main topic.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:37   #114
Senior - BHPian

I am not taking sides in this debate, but why are people so strong on this "any bad driver can crash the safest car" thing? If a car's handling or braking is unpredictable or simply not good enough, even 'safe' drivers can crash it.

The only response that seems logical is that Verna owners let us know if their Vernas have ever demonstrated any signs of unpredictable or simply poor (unpredictable more critical here) handling and braking. If not, then the Verna is not "unsafe" or a "death trap".

Another thing, a Verna diesel braking from 120-0 kph would be only suffering from extra engine weight of the diesel engine as compared to the Verna petrol in the same circumstances. If poor braking is the cause for frontal collisions on the Vernas, petrols and diesels are equally unsafe. I think sidindica could hardly spot any Verna petrols on NCR roads, let alone crashed ones.
Old 16th February 2010, 23:41   #115
BHPian

+1 to that sid....i agree that braking in verna and swift dzire(i currently own one) is not upto the mark....at low speeds one has to use half clutch to get through....a verna in second gear has idle speed close to 20-25km\h.....i never had to be that cautious while driving an indigo(i had it earlier)......my personal opinion is that indigo has better brakes than dzire....don't knw if anyone else would agree to this
Old 16th February 2010, 23:41   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
If this was true, it was so uncalled for Toyota and Honda to recall all those vehicles.
In the cases of car recalls by Honda and Toyota, there were problems identified in the cars itself. Come on, the accelerator getting stuck is a serious problem with the car! As far as I know, there are not such complaints against the Verna/3G Accent.
But, I know what you meant by your comment
Old 16th February 2010, 23:42   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Verna comes with ABS also right? I own a Verna 2009 model and it has ABS with discbrakes on all 4 wheels. 2010 model had disc brakes only in the front.

Verna is a drivers car. Only thing is you need to know your car when you drive it. In no way it is an unsafe car.
Yes buddy, The rear discs not being there is the problem.The SX is almost
10 lakhs onroad in Bangalore. What excuse does Hyundai have to deny people those rear discs ? I mean they are not providing Verna as a cut price vehicle anyway.
Old 17th February 2010, 00:18   #118
BHPian

I do not own a verna, nor did i drove it.

But this thread does not look good with lot of bashing going on here.

BTW, taking couple of accident pictures in a Hyundai body repair shop does not make verna a unreliable car. If you have some stats to prove it, provide it, otherwise i think we should stop discussing/bashing and please close this thread.
Old 17th February 2010, 01:47   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Riiiiiiight. Brilliant logic right there.

The Verna performs and handles just as Hyundai intended it to. When people drive beyond their skill and/or beyond the capabilities of the vehicle, they crash, and sometimes they die.

On the other hand, when the throttle doesn't respond to the accelerator pedal, that's a part that is not working as intended. Which requires a recall.
Old 17th February 2010, 03:47   #120
BHPian

Stats & facts is exactly what this guy is trying to collect. Read the first post on this thread carefully.

If I see x number of Brand-Y cars smashed en-route of my workplace, I would post a similar thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks