Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2010, 04:18   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
If this was true, it was so uncalled for Toyota and Honda to recall all those vehicles.
These cars were re-called for manufacturing defects and not to change any of the specification's or mechanical upgrade and/or downgrade, but just to replace the defective parts.
Old 17th February 2010, 06:30   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
These cars were re-called for manufacturing defects and not to change any of the specification's or mechanical upgrade and/or downgrade, but just to replace the defective parts.
As they did a recall, i can say that they didn't do proper testing of product before delivering? Or is it the case of ignorance being a bliss until it became a major issue?

I do appreciate them recalling, but why not take care and do some more research or testing before launch. And this applies to all manufacturers.

Atleast we didn't hear the same thing from Hyundai regarding verna. So far, IIRC Hyundai recall its model for switches of brake light which remains illuminated or something like that. Compare that to a stuck pedal and which one is more dangerous?

just my 2 cents.
Old 17th February 2010, 09:18   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
In the cases of car recalls by Honda and Toyota, there were problems identified in the cars itself. Come on, the accelerator getting stuck is a serious problem with the car! As far as I know, there are not such complaints against the Verna/3G Accent.
But, I know what you meant by your comment
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Riiiiiiight. Brilliant logic right there.

The Verna performs and handles just as Hyundai intended it to. When people drive beyond their skill and/or beyond the capabilities of the vehicle, they crash, and sometimes they die.

On the other hand, when the throttle doesn't respond to the accelerator pedal, that's a part that is not working as intended. Which requires a recall.

Looks like the tone in this thread itself is a little dangerous

Before pouncing on me, just look at the context in which I made that statement.

I am not saying Verna should be recalled, far from it.

Quote:
+1

I totally Agree.

Its the one who drives and not what he/she drives.
In response to this, I was trying to make a point that not always "Its the one who drives and not what he/she drives". Try telling this to the family of those who lost their lives in the Toyota crash in US.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I agree that some vehicles might be more susceptible to accidents under certain conditions - whereas some accidents are purely 100% due to driver error, but not always.

Once again, the point I am trying to make is "One cannot tell for sure that it is 100% mistake of the car or 100% mistake of the person driving it - it is a combination of a few factors" - Do you guys agree?

If you don't, you are all welcome to share your thoughts. This thread is interesting because of every one sharing their thoughts/opinions (A little strongly sometimes)

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 17th February 2010 at 09:25.
Old 17th February 2010, 09:47   #124
BHPian

I used to drive an Omni in the 90s for around 5 years (almost 30K kms). I am still alive and kicking. Heck, does that make the Omni a safe vehicle? A big NO.

Same is the case with Verna. Just because some of you guys are still here to tell the stories of your verna's, does not make it a safe car.

And, is this the first time somebody in this forum has suggested that the Verna is unstable at high speeds? I can point to you numerous instances. When we joke about the new 10km elevated expressway that has been opened in Bangalore, one thing everybody says is that, it would be a Verna or a Scorpio that would first jump out of the expressway, because they cannot handle well.

Coming to the intentions of the original poster, I was one among them who saw evil intentions in his FIAT quality thread. I had to eat my words when he went ahead and picked up a Punto himself. So, please don't accuse anybody without sufficient proof.

Somebody claimed here that this thread was based on a few crashed Vernas. That is not true. You are not thinking properly. When you see so many crashed Vernas, the first thing that comes to one's mind is the often heard accusation that the Verna is an unsafe vehicle.

So, all the original poster has done is, created a thread here and asked Verna owners here whether they had similar experiences. What he failed to see was the oncoming wrath from Verna owners, because here we feel sensitive about anything we love. Not just cars, but with religion, language, ethnicity etc. We Indians are like that.

Verna IS an unsafe vehicle, whether the current owners like it or not. Yes, it is up to the driver to do the crashing, and he may be able to avoid it if he is driving carefully. But, my take is, it is more likely to crash if it is driven the way a 10L rupee, 106BHP sedan is supposed to be driven.

Last edited by civic-sense : 17th February 2010 at 09:50.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:05   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Who read this accident? What in God's green earth can be learnt from this? No amount of frontal, side, rear, doggy style testing could have protected a passenger from this death!!!
@Santosh, I couldn't stop laughing by seeing this paragraph. But I can safely say that after seeing the accident(the link you mentioned)I am also a victim of the same type of accident but I was safe.My car came out after going below the lorry.Saying that makes Matiz a strong safety car having a good A pillar.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:26   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
My intention is not product bashing but I am asking a real question- is a Hyundai verna diesel CRDI an uncontrollable car at high speeds?[list]

I want to ask Verna diesel owners that have they experianced any braking problem like wheels getting locked, long braking distances, uncontrollable chassis at high speeds etc?

Please post your True and honest experiences here.

Proof below: 5 cars, all diesels, all same fate, all clicked by me.
What he was asking and what replies he has got

My Daddy can beat your Daddy, seems the thread is going the same way,

The question i presume asked was vis a vis with ANHC, Fiesta, SX4 etc
Old 17th February 2010, 10:39   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post

Same is the case with Verna. Just because some of you guys are still here to tell the stories of your verna's, does not make it a safe car.

And, is this the first time somebody in this forum has suggested that the Verna is unstable at high speeds? I can point to you numerous instances. When we joke about the new 10km elevated expressway that has been opened in Bangalore, one thing everybody says is that, it would be a Verna or a Scorpio that would first jump out of the expressway, because they cannot handle well.

Coming to the intentions of the original poster, I was one among them who saw evil intentions in his FIAT quality thread. I had to eat my words when he went ahead and picked up a Punto himself. So, please don't accuse anybody without sufficient proof.

Somebody claimed here that this thread was based on a few crashed Vernas. That is not true. You are not thinking properly. When you see so many crashed Vernas, the first thing that comes to one's mind is the often heard accusation that the Verna is an unsafe vehicle.

So, all the original poster has done is, created a thread here and asked Verna owners here whether they had similar experiences. What he failed to see was the oncoming wrath from Verna owners, because here we feel sensitive about anything we love. Not just cars, but with religion, language, ethnicity etc. We Indians are like that.

Verna IS an unsafe vehicle, whether the current owners like it or not. Yes, it is up to the driver to do the crashing, and he may be able to avoid it if he is driving carefully. But, my take is, it is more likely to crash if it is driven the way a 10L rupee, 106BHP sedan is supposed to be driven.

MY question, Do you own a Verna? If yes then i'll be intersted to hear more from you.

BTW not only Verna Baleno, OHC all in mid-level powerful cars has same stability issue at higher speed after 150 KMPH.

I also drove my baleno around 175 KMPH for few seconds, but handling was a big issue in that speed.

My point is if there is stability issue during high speeds there are lot of cars which unstable on that speed.
Old 17th February 2010, 10:45   #128
BANNED

Where is sidindica? He seems to have disappeared from this thread after posting it?

Sir Sid, Do you have enough data now from 9 pages and details from quite a few Verna owners having replied to come up with an analysis and conclusion on this?
Old 17th February 2010, 11:22   #129
BHPian

To steal and modify a dialogue from Spidey-1, "With a bit-more-than-moderate power, comes great responsibility'.

I mean look, the limits of the car are for you to judge, and adhere to. If she's built to be powerful, and comfortable, she ain't going to corner so well. So don't throw her in hard. Rather enjoy the power on long straights.

If the braking isn't top notch, don't keep it for a little-too-late.

And when we are talking of stability at speeds over 150 kph, let's remember that TII (this is India). Are our roads even meant for such speeds?

They say DR**K RESPONSIBLY. I say DRIVE RESPONSIBLY
Old 17th February 2010, 11:58   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I agree. They are like that only.

SiD is entitled to his own opinion and belief. If Verna is not a safe car for his standards, so be it.

I say that because some of the posters have started to act like Shiv Sena.
Old 17th February 2010, 11:59   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
MY question, Do you own a Verna? If yes then i'll be intersted to hear more from you.
No, I don't own one. But I have driven, and it was scary; and a lot scary in the back seat. I am glad that I don't own one. Perhaps not owning one helps me make an unbiased opinion.
Quote:
BTW not only Verna Baleno, OHC all in mid-level powerful cars has same stability issue at higher speed after 150 KMPH.
You are picking the wrong cars to compare. Both Baleno and OHC are cars from an older generation (2 in the case of the City). And I am sure OHC and Baleno handles well. It is their light weights that make them unstable at higher speeds.
Quote:
My point is if there is stability issue during high speeds there are lot of cars which unstable on that speed.
Wholeheartedly, agree. But having other unsafe cars in the market does not make the Verna a safe vehicle. Hyundai has to fix that car.

Last edited by civic-sense : 17th February 2010 at 12:01.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:18   #132
BHPian

I was shocked to read this thread, Verna coming from Hyundai is an unsafe vehicle and uncontrollable at high speeds. Safety cannot be compromised and more so in cars. Human life is at stake and it cannot be left to the whims and fancies of companies. No amount of backing by verna owners can justify that the drivers are responsible for the crashes. The point is that at high sppeds, because of turbo the car becomes uncontrollable. But then does Hyundai issue some warning or does it train the verna owners....NOOO...
Verna is definitely an unsafe vehicle and Hyundai needs to fix it.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:30   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
@Santosh, I couldn't stop laughing by seeing this paragraph. But I can safely say that after seeing the accident(the link you mentioned)I am also a victim of the same type of accident but I was safe.My car came out after going below the lorry.Saying that makes Matiz a strong safety car having a good A pillar.
Shishir, I also had your Matiz in mind, but didnt want to re-focus on a fellow's BHPians ill-luck, so decided to leave it aside.

Going back to my post a few pages back, does it warranty a new thread? There are so many threads in TBHP talking about new cars, TD's, MOD's, silly-mods, et all. But in USA and other such places there are studies done on ALL automobiles that move, float, fly around and are analyzed for accident data and given ratings which directly reflect on the insurance premiums and road tax, directly impacting sales numbers also.

Manufacturer's in India talk about safety, Also provide it adequately (note my word), and advertise it. ARAI's certifying work also revolves around what they are presented with by the maker. But it is the insurance companies that get actual data what I am talking about that can make more sense in claiming which car is a tin-can and which is a TANK.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:35   #134
Senior - BHPian

That the verna is an unsafe car is a totally baseless comment.

Any car can be crashed, mind you.

But yes, the skinny tyres, avarage brakes along with the VGT make a deadly combo.
Old 17th February 2010, 12:42   #135
Senior - BHPian

Our Automatic Verna Diesel came with four wheel discs and ABS she feels as secure as our 2001 E220 CDI was at braking, acceleration and handling keeping in mind that she is 2 sizes smaller so in relative terms. Have not taken her on the highway/high speed but feels like a pretty planted car in my initial usage. My tire guy - Saifee in mumbai said the current setup in 14 inch is fine and he would not recommend broader set on 14inch I believe the car takes on some wierd characteristics!?? He did say if I upsize to say 15 or 16 no problem with handling and the wierdness of the 14inch broader set up!? Anyway she is a month old so can't comment but would be keen to get low down experiences of other automatics users

Last edited by canonball : 17th February 2010 at 12:43.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks