Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2010, 16:57   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
I do not think Toyota is to be blamed entirely. A lot of their parts are outsourced to other manufacturers. teh same holds for the power steering assembly. So all cars which were fixed by that particular outsourced company's equipment are the ones being recalled. Technically its not Toyota's fault, its the outsourced company's fault. Toyota should scrutinize the factories who make parts on behalf of Toyota.
It's the duty of their quality control department. Outsourcing should not and is not a valid excuse. Toyota is at fault. It's their (i.e. auto manufacturers) good luck that in India we people can't sue these auto manufacturers left and right like they do in USA. Since we people buy these vehicles with their hard earned money, every manufacturer must be held accountable for it's lapses. This should apply to EVERY manufacturer, not Toyota in general.

But as they say, with great power comes great responsibility. Had it been any other manufacturer, it would have gotten away but not the big fish which indeed is a big fish in auto industry.
Old 18th February 2010, 21:18   #32
BHPian

Not all manufacturers are Honest.

EDIT:
Check these two links
Volkswagen Of America My Experience with Volkswagen:EXPENSIVE engine failure Auburn Hills Michigan

My Experience with Volkswagen: Insidious Problem Surfaces

Excerpt:
Quote:
My Experience with Volkswagen:
Insidious Problem Surfaces

[center]About this web page: The objective of this web page is to let as many people as possible know about my experience in owning a Volkswagen. It is not, or at least not meant to be, hysterical, libelous, defamatory, abusive, disrespectful, or anything like that. It is intended to just present the facts of a unfortunate situation that I have found myself in and change it from a “I lose/they win” situation to a “I still lose/ but they lose too” situation.
One more engineer's comment: "...Having a non heat treated gear installed shouldn't be your issue but a quality control investigation at their supplier."

Note from Support: Post edited. Please do not Copy-Paste entire articles from other websites. A small para or two is fine but links must be provided. Thanks!

Last edited by aah78 : 20th February 2010 at 00:27. Reason: See note.
Old 19th February 2010, 00:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

I just made a flowery presentation on Toyota Quality Management principles a couple of months back in college. Was supposed to review it next week. Gulp.
Old 19th February 2010, 01:48   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTO_CRAZY View Post
Not all manufacturers are Honest.

My Experience with Volkswagen:
Insidious Problem Surfaces

Your comments are appreciated.
Thanks for that detailed post. I really loved the new VW Polo and was seriously evaluating it as my next car. No more.

So the issues about skoda all over the forum are no fluke or exceptions. It is in their genes!

Last edited by aah78 : 20th February 2010 at 00:28. Reason: Post edited.
Old 19th February 2010, 07:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Thanks for that detailed post. I really loved the new VW Polo and was seriously evaluating it as my next car. No more.

So the issues about skoda all over the forum are no fluke or exceptions. It is in their genes!
So VW joins the bandwagon on team Bhp .
Old 19th February 2010, 15:51   #36
Senior - BHPian

Just now got the info that "Toyota head prepares for Congress grilling on recalls"

Source :: Toyota head prepares for Congress grilling on recalls- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 19th February 2010, 23:40   #37
BHPian

Insight into Toyota's honesty (also quality and reliability).

Toyota Turncoat May Get The Last Laugh

Quote:
Dimitrios Biller, the former counsel for Toyota who has made a personal mission of revealing the automaker's devious, alleged coverups, was asked by the Congress yesterday to turn over all documents relating to safety and litigation defects involved in his 2008 lawsuit.

Quote:
Wall Street Journal: Mr. Biller's attorney, Jeffrey F. Allen, based in Santa Monica, Calif., said he received the subpoena and planned to turn over the documents to Congress. Mr. Biller, through Mr. Allen, declined to comment.

Mr. Biller is suing Toyota under federal racketeering laws. The lawsuit, which says Toyota agreed to a $3.7 million severance payment for Mr. Biller, alleges the auto maker and its executives have conspired to "unlawfully withhold and conceal evidence from plaintiffs and obstruct justice in lawsuits against Toyota throughout the United States."
Biller was recently prevented from releasing the documents by a California arbitrator, which a spokesman for the plaintiff's attorney has previously said did not contain a "shred of evidence."

Biller has said that during 2003-2007, when he was counsel for Toyota, he amassed evidence that the company was destroying evidence. Toyota has consistently denied Biller's accusations.

The subpoenaed documents are due by Feb. 23.
For further reading: Congress Subpoenas Former Toyota Lawyer as Toyota Chief Agrees to Testify - WSJ.com
Old 21st February 2010, 18:18   #38
BHPian

Toyota way.

Attorney says Toyota owners took concerns to dealership before fatal Southlake crash.

Quote:
12:56 AM CST on Sunday, February 21, 2010

Bob Cox, Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Monty and Linda Hardy had taken their 2008 Toyota Avalon to a Grapevine dealership "several times" with complaints about uncommanded acceleration but were told there was nothing wrong, their attorney says.

On the day after Christmas, Monty Hardy was driving the Toyota in Southlake when it sped through a T-intersection, barreled through a steel fence, struck a tree and landed upside down in an icy pond. He and all three passengers in the car were killed.

The family of one of the passengers, Sharon Ransom of Grapevine, filed suit last week in Dallas, accusing Toyota of a design defect in the car.

At least six deaths have occurred since early November in Texas accidents that, lawsuits say, were caused when Toyotas suddenly accelerated and the driver lost control. And more than 100 Texas drivers in recent years have reported their Toyotas unexpectedly accelerating.

Since the fall, Toyota Motor Corp. has issued recalls covering more than 8 million vehicles to address sudden-acceleration problems that the company said could be caused by certain types of floor mats or a "sticky" gas pedal. The company faces enormous pressure from growing consumer worries, threats of government investigations and planned congressional hearings.

And there is mounting evidence that the problem is bigger and more complex than Toyota has been willing to concede. Data compiled by an independent research firm from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration records indicate a growing number of incidents of sudden acceleration.

As of mid-January, Safety Research and Strategies, a Massachusetts firm that often does research for lawyers, found that in recent years there have been 105 documented Texas consumer complaints to the NHTSA about unintended or unbidden acceleration problems with Toyota and Lexus vehicles. At least 20 injuries were reported by consumers or safety authorities in accidents stemming from accelerator complaints.

Toyota officials declined to be interviewed. They referred questions to Dane Minor, general manager of Freeman Toyota in Hurst and chairman of Toyota's dealer advisory council.

A few weeks ago, as reports about Toyotas' acceleration problems gained wide attention, Minor said he asked his service manager whether any customers had reported problems to the dealership. "He said no, not at all."

Accident victims' lawyers say that they don't buy that Toyota officials were unaware of the problem and say that the most logical explanation for many of the acceleration cases is faulty software in the throttle control – essentially small computers that determine how much fuel is delivered to the engine in response to electronic signals from the gas pedal.

Randy Roberts of Tyler, the lawyer for Linda Hardy, the widow of the driver in the Southlake crash, said his client had taken the vehicle to Texas Toyota of Grapevine "several times" because of acceleration problems.

"Sometimes she started to apply the accelerator and the car took off more than you would think it should," Roberts said. "There were times she felt like she didn't have sufficient control."

The dealership hooked the car to its diagnostic computer but found no problems. Roberts said the computer can identify only problems that it is programmed to look for.

"We're not blaming the dealer. They only know what they are told" by Toyota, he said.

Chris Grady, general manager of the dealership, confirmed that the Hardys brought in their vehicle for "routine maintenance, not exceeding oil changes," but that there "were never any complaints" about acceleration problems.

Since taking over the dealership 16 months ago, Grady said, "I'd not heard of any complaints about uncommanded acceleration until the recall came out. Since the recall came out, I've heard from five or six people."

Bob Cox,

Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Last edited by anmol2k4 : 21st February 2010 at 18:22.

Most Viewed