Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 20:49   #46
BHPian

330i Launched + 320d corporate (officially?) Source : ET

Quote:
The price (ex-showroom Chennai) has been fixed at Rs 33.40 lakh for the BMW 330i version and Rs 23.95 lakh for BMW320d Corporate edition, he said.
Old 26th February 2010, 00:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The price (ex-showroom Chennai) has been fixed at Rs 33.40 lakh for the BMW 330i version and Rs 23.95 lakh for BMW320d Corporate edition, he said.
So a 1 lac increase over January prices and the only difference is semi-electric seats. THis price hike was actually effected in end-Jan / early-Feb itself, they've continued with it. I hope they don't hike post-budget YET again. BTW 22.95 works out to 28.71 OTR Mumbai, if you go by their 98k/year insurance quote.
Old 27th February 2010, 05:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Thanks for that man. Appreciated. Well the Beemer will be predominantly for weekend pleasure drives & alike. It wont come out of the garage unless there is some important occasion or function to be attended within the city. 85% of the times the future Beemer would be zipping on the expressway to either Lonavala or Pune. Both models discussed here are real quick cars...35i and 30d. The only point of consideration would be, with the D, i would not be visiting the fuel pumps as often as the i. With those kind of engines, both are really attractive prospects.
I have driven a lot of bimmers with the 35i engine and I have to say it's brilliant. It's very powerful and torquey. You will definitely love it. On the other hand, I own a 530d. Its loaded with torque. Both cars have completely different feels. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 27th February 2010, 11:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

guys, any idea how does the 330i fare against the brilliant Audi A4 3.2 FSi?

Last edited by theragingbull : 27th February 2010 at 11:46.
Old 27th February 2010, 11:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stranger View Post
I have driven a lot of bimmers with the 35i engine and I have to say it's brilliant. It's very powerful and torquey. You will definitely love it. On the other hand, I own a 530d. Its loaded with torque. Both cars have completely different feels. You can't go wrong with either.

Oh thats a known fact ...both are absolutely fantastic cars in their own different ways. 1 having insane power and the other, oodles of torque. But again, as i said before.. the only problem with the 535i would be the limited availability and high expenditure on high octane fuel. ( though speedy has said not much power would be compromised upon even if normal unleaded fuel available here like speed, extra premium etc. is used.fingers crossed on that 1 )
Old 27th February 2010, 11:51   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
guys, any idea how does the 330i fare against the brilliant Audi A4 3.2 FSi?

well the 3.2 fsi churns out 265bhp whereas the 330i has 258bhp. So they are both quite similar on paper, ridiculously fast that is. the Audi 3.2 has been around for sometime now and everyone who has driven it has been mind boggled by it. The 330i though powerful, its drive experience remains a mystery. But going by BMW's reputation of handling, steering response, driving thrill etc, i would say Audi have some real competition on their hands for the first time in this segment. But again, this is just a preface. Who the real winner would be, obviously remains to be seen. Its too hard to predict as the rivalry is so intense IMO.
Old 27th February 2010, 11:54   #52
BHPian

Quote:
well the 3.2 fsi churns out 265bhp whereas the 330i has 258bhp. So they are both quite similar on paper, ridiculously fast that is. the Audi 3.2 has been around for sometime now and everyone who has driven it has been mind boggled by it. The 330i though powerful, its drive experience remains a mystery. But going by BMW's reputation of handling, steering response, driving thrill etc, i would say Audi have some real competition on their hands for the first time in this segment. But again, this is just a preface. Who the real winner would be, obviously remains to be seen. Its too hard to predict as the rivalry is so intense IMO.
I think the Audi A4 3.2 FSI will have an edge since it has Quattro.

But, the driver involvement is better in the BMW.

I've driven the A4 2.0 TDI - the steering feedback is pathetic !!

Quote:
Oh thats a known fact ...both are absolutely fantastic cars in their own different ways. 1 having insane power and the other, oodles of torque. But again, as i said before.. the only problem with the 535i would be the limited availability and high expenditure on high octane fuel. ( though speedy has said not much power would be compromised upon even if normal unleaded fuel available here like speed, extra premium etc. is used.fingers crossed on that 1 )
You are right ! But, the 530d will have a better resale value than the 535i. ( quite a substantial difference here )

My pick would be the diesel anyday !

Last edited by ajmat : 27th February 2010 at 12:04.
Old 27th February 2010, 17:28   #53
BHPian

I seriously dont get the obsession of high end car buyers with diesel. I mean if someone's spending 50 lakhs on a car, whats an extra 10 grand a month in fuel costs? There's no replacement for the refinement and free revving nature of a petrol IMO
Old 27th February 2010, 17:40   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
I seriously dont get the obsession of high end car buyers with diesel. I mean if someone's spending 50 lakhs on a car, whats an extra 10 grand a month in fuel costs? There's no replacement for the refinement and free revving nature of a petrol IMO
That's a sad misconception, dear friend, to think that someone who buys a car that expensive doesn't give a damn about fuel costs. The biggest pinches in the pocket are the many small ones.

True, a petrol sounds better at the redline and hell yeah, there are few better substitutes.

But.

How many premium fuel stations do you think there are even in big metros? Owning a car with a large capacity petrol engine severely hampers your range. There are few routes outside the city that comfortably allow the owner to have a relaxed drive.

In India where fuel prices are, well, ridiculous, it makes wonderful sense to own an oil burner. Same/more fun to drive (subjective) and in some cases quicker than it's similarly priced Petrol alternative.

I'm not against a petrol engine. I's just unfair to assume that buying, say, a 530d is a compromise against buying a 530i.
Old 27th February 2010, 17:57   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post

Considering your point, had the 10 grand a month atleast made the petrol car unleash its true and full potential, it would have made some sense and given a feeling of "money well spent" or worth the buy. But digging that kind of hole in your pocket on a consistent basis and the car being slightly below its full potential inspite of that just does not give piece of mind. I mean i would feel like a complete jerk if after buying the 535i , and spending huge amounts in refueling it, do i end up thinking, " dam how i wish i had the 530D, easy on the pocket and goes as fast". Without a doubt, i love petrol cars just as much as you do or i would not have even bothered mentioning the 535i with the 530D coming up as well. Its just that when practicality comes into play, one can clearly see the more sensible choice in front of him. Mind you , too much of practicality sucks as the next question in line would be " why spend 50 odd big ones on a car????" & boy i sure dont want my brain throwing such questions at me !! i would tell him to go to hell (now that iv mentioned it, driving either of the 2 beemers would actually be 1 "hell of an experience" )

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 27th February 2010 at 17:59.
Old 27th February 2010, 18:00   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
That's a sad misconception, dear friend, to think that someone who buys a car that expensive doesn't give a damn about fuel costs. The biggest pinches in the pocket are the many small ones.

True, a petrol sounds better at the redline and hell yeah, there are few better substitutes.

But.

How many premium fuel stations do you think there are even in big metros? Owning a car with a large capacity petrol engine severely hampers your range. There are few routes outside the city that comfortably allow the owner to have a relaxed drive.

In India where fuel prices are, well, ridiculous, it makes wonderful sense to own an oil burner. Same/more fun to drive (subjective) and in some cases quicker than it's similarly priced Petrol alternative.

I'm not against a petrol engine. I's just unfair to assume that buying, say, a 530d is a compromise against buying a 530i.
Im not saying that someone who buys an expensive a car dosent give a damn about fuel costs, my point was actually(and this is purely my opinion) that they give it too much importance

Ie this is the typical indian mentality of "average kya hain?". Dont mistake me, I dont have anything against people who buy diesel cars. But to base a purchase of a 50 lakh car on an additional spend of 10 grand a month on fuel is flawed IMO. If someone buys a car on loan of 40 lakhs say over three years, he pays almost a lakh and a half per month for the car. For someone who can spend that much, the fuel cost shouldn't be a major concern.

About the fuel stations, well granted you get better performance by using premium fuels but its not a requirement. About the range you are correct there, the diesel's have a longer range for sure. 1000km on a single tank is doable in some cars which have tanks of 60-70 litres.
Old 27th February 2010, 18:01   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post
I think the Audi A4 3.2 FSI will have an edge since it has Quattro.

But, the driver involvement is better in the BMW.

I've driven the A4 2.0 TDI - the steering feedback is pathetic !!

You are right ! But, the 530d will have a better resale value than the 535i. ( quite a substantial difference here )

My pick would be the diesel anyday !

yup a total no-brainer. the D would have much much better resale value. It will also sell like hot cakes comparatively.
Old 28th February 2010, 05:34   #58
BHPian

BMW should just release the 335i and finish it
Old 28th February 2010, 09:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Had some interesting read here.

Petrol if its just for fun and/or with loads of money. Period.

Diesel; VFM as of now? and a ideal daily runner.

Audi; car on rail, thanks to Quattro ( the car on rail is a line I read from some post here)

Well, anyway, glad that BMW feels the heat and competition is getting better.
Old 28th February 2010, 12:17   #60
Team-BHP Support

If buying second hand - petrol - less injector issues, inlet swirl valves failures, turbo failures, injector pumps which high pressure fuelling brings along
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks