| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|28th February 2010, 23:18||#61|
Join Date: Feb 2004
Thanked: 111,497 Times
However, there are other valid reasons, apart from monthly fuel costs, in choosing a premium diesel car over a petrol:
1. Practicality : The 530d runs just as well on regular diesel. However, the high compression german petrols (e.g. 530i) work optimally on premium petrol only. How many petrol pumps you know of, in how many cities, that stock higher octane petrol?
2. Highway practicality : Your chances of procuring 97 octane petrol on a Mumbai - Goa run are slim, you will agree. With a German diesel, the same fuel grade that's filled into a Tata 407 is welcome.
3. Longer range on the same fuel tank : Sometimes, as much as 2X the difference.
4. Robustness : German diesels are built to last. And, in the case of the Mercs, they give less trouble too.
5. Performance : The 530d will stay with the 530i in a 0 - 100, but absolutely murder it in mid-range. Some of us choose a diesel out of choice (e.g. offroading, driveability, frequent highway driving, addiction to torque) over a petrol, for reasons other than $$$.
6. Resale : 2 year ol' BMW 325i's have gone for 18 lakh rupees (read = less than 50% of original acquisition cost). Euro diesels retain substantially more value, and are quicker to move off the block too.
That said, high-revving a petrol provides satisfaction like no diesel can match. It's not about petrol versus diesel...I love both and would, ideally, like to own a high-revving petrol + high-torque diesel.
Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2010 at 23:20.
|The following BHPian Thanks GTO for this useful post:|
|1st March 2010, 02:18||#62|
Join Date: Jan 2009
Thanked: 2 Times
|11th March 2010, 12:26||#63|
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Feb 2010
Thanked: 4,799 Times
@GTO: nice comparison of petrol and diesel, and even better explanation on why high-end diesels are in demand.
Commendable aspect is that big players like BMW and Merc are bringing their latest (or relevant) engines to India. Something which the so called mass-market VW group can take a cue from...
Note from Mod :
The 330i has now been launched and the full review has been put up IN THIS THREAD.
The discussion can be continued there as this thread is now closed.
Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd June 2010 at 12:12. Reason: Adding closure note in your post so as not to bump the thread.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Move over IPL, the Indian Motorsports League is here! Street circuits too||RM Motorsports||Indian Motorsport||19||8th June 2018 13:15|
|Move over Hypercars, the Megacar is here - the Koenigsegg One:1 (1341 Horses)||Roomy||The International Automotive Scene||21||18th July 2015 06:19|
|Move over M3, here comes Audi RS 5 coupe||sidindica||The International Automotive Scene||21||10th March 2010 01:58|
|330i in chennai||byramshroff||Super-Cars & Imports in India||24||26th May 2005 22:00|