Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 23:18   #61
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
I seriously dont get the obsession of high end car buyers with diesel. I mean if someone's spending 50 lakhs on a car, whats an extra 10 grand a month in fuel costs? There's no replacement for the refinement and free revving nature of a petrol IMO
Remember, the rich got rich by saving up $$$. And not by blowing off that "10 grand a month". For a businessman, easy fingers on a couple of "10 grands a month" expense categories add up to 6, 7 or 8 figures eventually. And no, this is not restricted to India either. Check with a couple of Europeans why diesel S Class' outsell the petrols. Lower running costs, lower insurance, better resale etc.

However, there are other valid reasons, apart from monthly fuel costs, in choosing a premium diesel car over a petrol:

1. Practicality : The 530d runs just as well on regular diesel. However, the high compression german petrols (e.g. 530i) work optimally on premium petrol only. How many petrol pumps you know of, in how many cities, that stock higher octane petrol?

2. Highway practicality : Your chances of procuring 97 octane petrol on a Mumbai - Goa run are slim, you will agree. With a German diesel, the same fuel grade that's filled into a Tata 407 is welcome.

3. Longer range on the same fuel tank : Sometimes, as much as 2X the difference.

4. Robustness : German diesels are built to last. And, in the case of the Mercs, they give less trouble too.

5. Performance : The 530d will stay with the 530i in a 0 - 100, but absolutely murder it in mid-range. Some of us choose a diesel out of choice (e.g. offroading, driveability, frequent highway driving, addiction to torque) over a petrol, for reasons other than $$$.

6. Resale : 2 year ol' BMW 325i's have gone for 18 lakh rupees (read = less than 50% of original acquisition cost). Euro diesels retain substantially more value, and are quicker to move off the block too.

That said, high-revving a petrol provides satisfaction like no diesel can match. It's not about petrol versus diesel...I love both and would, ideally, like to own a high-revving petrol + high-torque diesel.

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2010 at 23:20.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2010, 02:18   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Oh thats a known fact ...both are absolutely fantastic cars in their own different ways. 1 having insane power and the other, oodles of torque. But again, as i said before.. the only problem with the 535i would be the limited availability and high expenditure on high octane fuel. ( though speedy has said not much power would be compromised upon even if normal unleaded fuel available here like speed, extra premium etc. is used.fingers crossed on that 1 )
Oh ya, that is true. there won't be much of a difference with fuel quality
Old 11th March 2010, 12:26   #63
Team-BHP Support

@GTO: nice comparison of petrol and diesel, and even better explanation on why high-end diesels are in demand.

Commendable aspect is that big players like BMW and Merc are bringing their latest (or relevant) engines to India. Something which the so called mass-market VW group can take a cue from...

Note from Mod :

The 330i has now been launched and the full review has been put up IN THIS THREAD.

The discussion can be continued there as this thread is now closed.
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd June 2010 at 12:12. Reason: Adding closure note in your post so as not to bump the thread.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks