Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 09:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

Yes i was informed i could get one from Navneet Motors. Guess these would be in limited numbers to test the market response. Its like getting yourself a bigger M3 or a poor mans M3 .

Wow ! that would make almost the entire new 5 series line up available in India apart from maybe the 523i. ( havnt heard any news on that 1 )
But even i suppose the 550i might be offered as a CBU
Old 21st February 2010, 14:32   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Wow ! that would make almost the entire new 5 series line up available in India apart from maybe the 523i. ( havnt heard any news on that 1 )
But even i suppose the 550i might be offered as a CBU
The 523i was available when the 5 series first launched here. But it was too slow for the image BMW was trying to create of performance, hence rightfully replaced by the 520d.
Old 21st February 2010, 17:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The 523i was available when the 5 series first launched here. But it was too slow for the image BMW was trying to create of performance, hence rightfully replaced by the 520d.

yes but various websites and many videos on Utube do claim that the 523i would be available as 1 of the variants. The current e60 530i 258hp engine would be going into the f10 as well and its going to b labeled as the 528i, so maybe the 525i engine from the current series would go into the f10 version and be renamed as 523i. That is the only possible explanation i see. Otherwise, i dont think BMW "need" to launch a 523i variant as such, IMO.In India,i see majority of f10 5 series sales going to the 520d ,525d and 530d ...in this very order.
Old 21st February 2010, 17:50   #34
BHPian

I took the time to check out the latest c class after seeing the Mercedes ad in the paper yesterday and I was impressed with the detail list of features that the car sported. However since I've been a big fan of BMW for sometime now and always wanted a 3 series iv saved up a bit to go and get myself one sometimes this year but since bmw's site doesn't offer a whole great deal of detail on the systems that the car has and features, do you'll reckon the Mercedes c is a better vfm option??
Old 21st February 2010, 20:02   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
I took the time to check out the latest c class after seeing the Mercedes ad in the paper yesterday and I was impressed with the detail list of features that the car sported. However since I've been a big fan of BMW for sometime now and always wanted a 3 series iv saved up a bit to go and get myself one sometimes this year but since bmw's site doesn't offer a whole great deal of detail on the systems that the car has and features, do you'll reckon the Mercedes c is a better vfm option??

I dont know in detail as i dont own either of them but my uncle owns the c230 diesel and there was nothing overly impressive about the features and gizmos....i mean, it didnot have all that many. On the other hand the 3 series is known to have a lot more features than the c class for sure ( dont know how the 3 compares against the a4 though, when it comes to number of gadgets n gizmos ), but as far as my knowledge goes the 3 definately has quite a list of features including idrive, 3-zone aircon etc. ( my uncles C just has ac vents as the back , no climate control). Verdict is - IMO , 3 has quite a few features more than the C and should be better VFM than the C. ( Y dont you give yourself a chance and try out the a4 as well?? It looks sexy, has many engine options and most say its better than the C & the 3 as well. IM A BIG BEEMER FANBOY & i still think the a4 is better than the 3 series.SO , for me, a4 > 3 series > C class.
This verdict is just to the best of my knowledge, i could be wrong and you mite drastically differ with me after TDing all 3 of them. So go ahead, take your time and make the best possible decision. good luck
Old 21st February 2010, 20:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I dont know in detail as i dont own either of them but my uncle owns the c230 diesel and there was nothing overly impressive about the features and gizmos....i mean, it didnot have all that many. On the other hand the 3 series is known to have a lot more features than the c class for sure ( dont know how the 3 compares against the a4 though, when it comes to number of gadgets n gizmos ), but as far as my knowledge goes the 3 definately has quite a list of features including idrive, 3-zone aircon etc. ( my uncles C just has ac vents as the back , no climate control). Verdict is - IMO , 3 has quite a few features more than the C and should be better VFM than the C. ( Y dont you give yourself a chance and try out the a4 as well?? It looks sexy, has many engine options and most say its better than the C & the 3 as well. IM A BIG BEEMER FANBOY & i still think the a4 is better than the 3 series.SO , for me, a4 > 3 series > C class.
This verdict is just to the best of my knowledge, i could be wrong and you mite drastically differ with me after TDing all 3 of them. So go ahead, take your time and make the best possible decision. good luck
Thanks! I'm not a big fan of Audi and i've been weary of reports on Audi's being known for their fuel appetite..

Also Audi seems to have priced their cars a tad more expensive than BMW? From what i was told, the BMW 3 was by far the most affordable performance car of the big 3. (it's difficult to verify with all the different trim levels they offer etc)

In any case, i was refering to this site :

C-Class - Interactive Owner´s Manual [Start]

The new C class's features are well listed on that site. In contrast, i couldnt find any in-depth descriptions on the BMW's India site for the 3 series.
Old 21st February 2010, 21:18   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Thanks! I'm not a big fan of Audi and i've been weary of reports on Audi's being known for their fuel appetite..

Also Audi seems to have priced their cars a tad more expensive than BMW? From what i was told, the BMW 3 was by far the most affordable performance car of the big 3. (it's difficult to verify with all the different trim levels they offer etc)

In any case, i was refering to this site :

C-Class - Interactive Owner´s Manual [Start]

The new C class's features are well listed on that site. In contrast, i couldnt find any in-depth descriptions on the BMW's India site for the 3 series.
that site seems to have features of c classes sold abroad. the india version is missing many of them. why not just hop over to the audi, bmw and merc dealerships. they are all within 10 mins of each other. youll find out exactly what is available in india.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Speedy- Whats the approx price of the 550i? Is it CBU?
It is a CBU Sahil, i frankly did not ask the price as i am not interested in it as of now. I guess it would be leaning towards the 60 lakhs figure.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is a CBU Sahil, i frankly did not ask the price as i am not interested in it as of now. I guess it would be leaning towards the 60 lakhs figure.

Well the 5 Grand Turismo with the same engine (404hp) is to be offered as a limited edition and its ex-showroom (Mumbai) price is quoted as Rs.60 lakh. Isnt the GT's pricing supposed to be more than the 5er sedan ???
I guess that the 550i would be priced slightly below 60 lakhs (ex-showroom)
Old 23rd February 2010, 17:50   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
Yes & No - The C250CGI in India is not the Charged gasoline injection which is derived from a 1.8, it is the 'same ol' C230 rebadged as the C250CGI.
If it says CGI it has to be CGI. Theres no playing around with that kind of rebadging!
However, most people are unsure about what exactly the difference is between the C250 and C250CGI - and thats where a lot of the confusion comes from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeding@160mph View Post
Only the plain ol' C250 was on display at the Auto Expo, and it naturally didn't have the CGI badging.

Anyway - have gone way OT in this thread.

330i is indeed good news! Straight-6 sounds juicy.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd February 2010 at 17:51.
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:22   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the 5 Grand Turismo with the same engine (404hp) is to be offered as a limited edition and its ex-showroom (Mumbai) price is quoted as Rs.60 lakh. Isnt the GT's pricing supposed to be more than the 5er sedan ???
I guess that the 550i would be priced slightly below 60 lakhs (ex-showroom)
Platzda Turbo i did mention leaning towards the 60 lakh figure not is at 60 lakhs. If you do consider the 530i priceing which is in the 50 lakh range the 550i would be more than that for sure. Limited numbers again so a higher price would be expected.

I did meet the BMW guys (Infinity) today as i had to get my car checked. The Navneet guys were refering to the 5 GT and the sales guy got it mixed up. BMW is bringing in the 535i along with the 330i for a market survey. These cars are to be offered first to existing BMW owners and then to the public.
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:35   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If it says CGI it has to be CGI. Theres no playing around with that kind of rebadging!
Only the plain ol' C250 was on display at the Auto Expo, and it naturally didn't have the CGI badging.
Exactly my point! If it said CGI- It should have been CGI! But that is not what happened - I spoke to T&T guys in Delhi and they initially said it would be the 1.8 CGI replacing the C230, which would have been the stupidest thing but I guess they realized it also.

@Vandit/ @platzdaturbo - The A4 is way more loaded than C/3 - Full screen color MMI, Driver & Passenger 8way electonic seats, Tri-Zone Climate control. If fuel is an issue - try the A4 2.0 Diesel - its not as powerful as the C220cdi but frugal nonetheless.
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:12   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Platzda Turbo i did mention leaning towards the 60 lakh figure not is at 60 lakhs. If you do consider the 530i priceing which is in the 50 lakh range the 550i would be more than that for sure. Limited numbers again so a higher price would be expected.

I did meet the BMW guys (Infinity) today as i had to get my car checked. The Navneet guys were refering to the 5 GT and the sales guy got it mixed up. BMW is bringing in the 535i along with the 330i for a market survey. These cars are to be offered first to existing BMW owners and then to the public.

I am very much interested in the 535i OR the 530d. Its put me in a dilemma of sorts as the 535i has humongous power rated at 302hp BUT due to very limited ( & expensive) availability of high grade gasoline in our country, these petrol cars cannot unleash their full potential ( part of the reason why the current 530i gets clobbered by the 530d) & on the other hand we have the f10 530D which would have a mild increase in power to 245hp and an increase in torque to 540NM. Though there is still sometime to go before the f10 arrives here, which would be the better buy overall ( 535i or 530d) is making me pull my hair already. By now, i am tilted slightly in favor of the 530D as the diesel fuel here isnt an issue and the 530D will literally fly, i dont know if the same can be said about the 535i ,thanks to the fuel quality. What do you reckon ?
Old 24th February 2010, 11:13   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am very much interested in the 535i OR the 530d. Its put me in a dilemma of sorts as the 535i has humongous power rated at 302hp BUT due to very limited ( & expensive) availability of high grade gasoline in our country, these petrol cars cannot unleash their full potential ( part of the reason why the current 530i gets clobbered by the 530d) & on the other hand we have the f10 530D which would have a mild increase in power to 245hp and an increase in torque to 540NM. Though there is still sometime to go before the f10 arrives here, which would be the better buy overall ( 535i or 530d) is making me pull my hair already. By now, i am tilted slightly in favor of the 530D as the diesel fuel here isnt an issue and the 530D will literally fly, i dont know if the same can be said about the 535i ,thanks to the fuel quality. What do you reckon ?

Yes the 535i has sufficiant power and so does the 530d. The fuel for the 535i is not an isssue as you still get 97 octane at certain petrol pumps. The places where ferrari's etc tank up. Even if you do fill her with unleaded fuel there is a neglegible power drop. I fill unleaded in my 325i and have no power complains as you hardly get room to do long high speed runs in the city.
The other point comes is the usage of the car as in the KMS run and highway drives etc. If it is in the city and low kms then 535i if long distance runs and higher kms usage then 530d.
The diesel cars are by no means slow or need the petrol quality available in the country for being faster then the 530i. they are torqueier than the petrols and that is why they have an edge. I know of 530i's whipping the 530d in runs. expressway yes the 530d is top end quicker but the 530i does not stay far behind, its more like its right there. The 535i with the 97 octane and if you want to put the octane boosters will be a rocket ship.
I cannot decide for you but i am a practical kind of guy, so would go with the 530d. This again depends if you are a high km clocker. Hope you dont pull your hair further .
Old 24th February 2010, 12:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes the 535i has sufficiant power and so does the 530d. The fuel for the 535i is not an isssue as you still get 97 octane at certain petrol pumps. The places where ferrari's etc tank up. Even if you do fill her with unleaded fuel there is a neglegible power drop. I fill unleaded in my 325i and have no power complains as you hardly get room to do long high speed runs in the city.
The other point comes is the usage of the car as in the KMS run and highway drives etc. If it is in the city and low kms then 535i if long distance runs and higher kms usage then 530d.
The diesel cars are by no means slow or need the petrol quality available in the country for being faster then the 530i. they are torqueier than the petrols and that is why they have an edge. I know of 530i's whipping the 530d in runs. expressway yes the 530d is top end quicker but the 530i does not stay far behind, its more like its right there. The 535i with the 97 octane and if you want to put the octane boosters will be a rocket ship.
I cannot decide for you but i am a practical kind of guy, so would go with the 530d. This again depends if you are a high km clocker. Hope you dont pull your hair further .

Thanks for that man. Appreciated. Well the Beemer will be predominantly for weekend pleasure drives & alike. It wont come out of the garage unless there is some important occasion or function to be attended within the city. 85% of the times the future Beemer would be zipping on the expressway to either Lonavala or Pune. Both models discussed here are real quick cars...35i and 30d. The only point of consideration would be, with the D, i would not be visiting the fuel pumps as often as the i. With those kind of engines, both are really attractive prospects.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks