Team-BHP - SX4 to come with VW Jetta Diesel engine?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   SX4 to come with VW Jetta Diesel engine? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/75873-sx4-come-vw-jetta-diesel-engine.html)

While i was talking with one of the Maruti dealer's salesman, he was talking about SX4 coming up with VW engine that too with Jetta Diesel engine.
he also mentioned that Fiat is not unable or not willing to provide 1.6 or 1.9 MultiJet engine to Suzuki fearing SX4 with multiJet will hit Linea sales in India.
he also mentioned that the pricing will be on higher side and the expected timeline is 6 months.
not sure how true is this statement.

-MUKE

It will take a while to engineer the car though

lol:ok. i thought the other way around. That somebody has purchased a totalled VW jetta(engine working) and installed the engine in SX4 and now posting pics about that.but seems like its different story altogetherstupid:

The existing Jetta PD engine is loud and expensive to maintain, Sx4 might come with a VW diesel in distant future but i dont think Suzuki will opt for the outdated PD engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car-e-ok (Post 1742814)
lol:ok. i thought the other way around. That somebody has purchased a totalled VW jetta(engine working) and installed the engine in SX4 and now posting pics about that.but seems like its different story altogetherstupid:

lol: I also thought on the same lines. Just clicked this thread out of curiosity to see the engine bay of sx4 with jetta engine!!!

1) We are not sure about this news. So its just a sort of speculation, but similar things were heard when a person called me to know whether I am buying car from him or not. I was actually inquiring about the new Wagon R that is supposed to be here before 1st Apr, 2010.

2) About the engine. Its not one of the best units we have seen. Others are performing better than it, are more efficient also. There is no real advantage of this engine.
Next, oil eating. At more than one place I have read about this motor eating down engine oil. ACI did come across an early service light, which is against the typical Jap image and this is not how Japanese cars behave.
So I am afraid that Maruti might lose its image of "reliable car producers" or the image of Maruti cars being reliable. This single mistake can change it all forever.

3) Service cost. VW is, purely in IMHO, a very conservative and selfish car maker. I am sure that VW will try its best to extract more money out of this deal and the spares for the engine/gearbox might be more expensive, which again is against the image of Maruti Suzuki.

I am against this move. If they want to launch a diesel, go for the 2.0 crdi unit from Passat or some other unit like the one found in cruze.

Am sure it won't be the current 1.9PD engine that serves both the Jetta and the Laura. It is good decently powered but noisey, eats oil before the 7.5K to 15K service interval. While the 2.0 engine would make the SX4 a power to recon with. It comes in the passat and the Laura.

Ideally they sould be discussing the CRDi unit that VW has and will introduce into the passat later in the year.

Overall, the engine options like beyond the 1.9PD would be a mis fit for the SX4 interms of power, and the 1.9PD itself will be heavy on maintenance - possibly.

IMHO 1.9PD and SX4 doesn't gel with each other . What i mean to say is when we think of PD, noise comes to mind and japness cars are generaly sielnt cars . Just my opinion

Sorry if this is OT to the topic, didnt knew where to post this, my uncle who works for MSIL is being sent to 'somewhere in Europe' for training this time(Usually its Japan).Does that mean something is cooking between VW and MSIL w.r.t to future launches(I know about the VW-Suzuki alliance) in India. If yes then SX4 diesel with VW engine will actually be true.:thumbs up

Car-e-Ok, it's practically impossible to fit the same engine without making major modifications to the physical details. i10 and i20 have the same 1.2L Kappa engine; Vista Turbo, Punto and Swift D have 1.3 Diesel engine but all must be different when it comes to shape and other related physical aspects.(I haven't checked the engines of Vista and Punto).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk13 (Post 1746800)
Car-e-Ok, it's practically impossible to fit the same engine without making major modifications to the physical details. i10 and i20 have the same 1.2L Kappa engine; Vista Turbo, Punto and Swift D have 1.3 Diesel engine but all must be different when it comes to shape and other related physical aspects.(I haven't checked the engines of Vista and Punto).

Thanks buddy,no disagreement on that . Thats why i was surprised to see the title and thought wow i have to see that . Until i found out its different story altogether.lol:

hey guys! wouldn't the 1.9 pd be very expensive for sx4 , if you are thinking about the crdi range of engines the price difference between them is also quite big. had checked skoda europe's site for laura 1.9pd and 1.6crdi earlier. i don't think sx4 would get a crdi from vw stable.

That would an expensive affair for SX4 having VW 1.9L engine.
If that's true, I'm sure Maruti know the pulse of Indian customers. Will workout a cost effective way of providing good A$$ for these engines.
Need not worry as far as it is in the hands of Maruti.

SX4 is an indian car. I don't think they would go for a 1.9 engine from VW -- rather, they shouldn't be. Average Indians go for Maruti products (IMHO) and I think it would be a little harsh on us to maintain an expensive, trouble prone engine. We might have to sell our kidneys to maintain it lol:

On the other hand, Maruti should be thinking of getting the same engine that powers Cruze. I think this is a pretty bad move. :(

1.6 Diesel engine will be sourced from Fiat it self. But that will take time. Jetta engine in SX4 may not be technically feasible i feel.