Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 07:19   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
IMO Polo is very over priced .
Polo comfortline and Punto emotion are similarly priced and the Polo lacks ABS,fog lamps,rear wiper and Audio player . Dont think it is VFM
Did you compare it with Jazz and Fabia as well?

Also did you compare the performance of GP and Polo? The Polo 1.2's 0-100 kmph is 14.something. The GP's is 18.something. Thats 4 seconds slower!
Old 25th February 2010, 08:19   #317
BHPian

In my opinion, Polo's pricing is quiet sensible, even though they could have done an introductory price around 4L for the base petrol variant. Its Value for money in terms of
a. reliability
b. build quality
c. looks and style

But the segment is already crowded Chevy Beat and i10 provides much better VFM in terms of features.

Again after the initial hype, the key to sustain sales is:
a. price
b. service quality & associated cost.

What they need is to do a strong marketing campaign, highlighting their presence and educating the benefits.

Lets hope VWs take this well and let's hope - "Its a car without a hole"

Last edited by sunil8089 : 25th February 2010 at 08:21.
Old 25th February 2010, 10:01   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post

I am sure in no time they'll introduce Auto AC and power mirrors in the list of configurable items, considering the i20 has all of these and more at the same price.
And like I said before, Im sure everyone who thinks Auto climate and power mirrors and the like are dealer configurable are in for disappointment.
These are options when you place an order, and the vehicle is built accordingly. Its not something you can bolt on while you do PDI!!!
Old 25th February 2010, 10:05   #319
Senior - BHPian

Thats killer pricing...

That will kill the Fabia completely.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:16   #320
BHPian

Polo pricing is attractive to someone like me who prefers quality over gimmicks/features.

BTW, VW has been extremely silent on the Polo launch - no big print ads, tv spots, etc. Considering Polo is their 'brahmaastra', I was expecting them to go ballistic over this launch.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:41   #321
BHPian

I guess POLO is overpriced. Looks like another Fabia.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:49   #322
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Polo pricing is attractive to someone like me who prefers quality over gimmicks/features.

BTW, VW has been extremely silent on the Polo launch - no big print ads, tv spots, etc. Considering Polo is their 'brahmaastra', I was expecting them to go ballistic over this launch.
Soo with you on that. There hasnt been the media blitzkrieg that was expected - Im guessing we ll witness it in the 1st week of March when the test-drive cars actually reach the showrooms.

And yes, I find the Polo pricing to be fairly sensible. That still doesnt stop me from wishing they had launched a trim level with 6 airbags and ESP, priced around 70k over the Highline.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:54   #323
BHPian

I just read the test drive report from BS motoring, I see that the have really killed this car. I don't know if its just me or everybody here noticed this...

Most of the feedback or the review from anybody is in the first 2 lines of the paragraph, by carefully reading the article on BS Motoring, I somehow sense they are not really happy.

Anyways in the end what matters is if the buyer likes it or not
Old 25th February 2010, 12:35   #324
BHPian

Quote:
IMO Polo is very over priced .
Polo comfortline and Punto emotion are similarly priced and the Polo lacks ABS,fog lamps,rear wiper and Audio player . Dont think it is VFM
Agreed !! Puntio Emotion Pk is cheaper and far feature rich than Polo Highline; can't comment about the ride quality though.

I am set to bring a new car to the stable this May (my wedding anniversary y'know) and looks like the fight's going to be among Punto, Polo and Figo, though my heart keeps yelling PUNTO PUNTO.

Anyways, keeping fingers crossed until GTO's review is out.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:41   #325
BHPian

Where will this leave the Fabia now?
Old 25th February 2010, 13:38   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
Did you compare it with Jazz and Fabia as well?

Also did you compare the performance of GP and Polo? The Polo 1.2's 0-100 kmph is 14.something. The GP's is 18.something. Thats 4 seconds slower!
I compared it with Punto only. Everybody knows Jazz and Fabia are over priced. As for diesel o-100 is 17.5 seconds and i dont care much about drag races. I care about my safety more
Old 25th February 2010, 14:05   #327
R17
BHPian

Quote:
I compared it with Punto only. Everybody knows Jazz and Fabia are over priced. As for diesel o-100 is 17.5 seconds and i dont care much about drag races. I care about my safety more
I think there are 3 general ways by which the layman would assess a vehicle's safety:-

1. Crash Test scores - If safety were indicated by EuroNcap scores, then the Polo scores over the Grande Punto.

EuroNcap test of Polo
EuroNcap test of Grande Punto

2. 'Door thud' feel (purely subjective of course) - If safety were implied by the thud of the door and the subjective impression of the heft, my brush with Polo at the Expo indicates that the Polo is perhaps the best built hatch around. The wise men at Autocar and Overdrive also seem to feel the same way.

3. General impression of the carmaker - A lot of us get the feeling that German and Italian cars are more sturdily built than Japanase/Korean cars. In this case too, the Germanic roots of the Polo tilt the scales in its favor.

Totally agree with you on the issue of prioritizing a car's passive safety offerings since, to me, that largely reflect its build quality and engineering prowess. And considering the above factors, I cant help but think that the Polo is the one of the best additions to the Indian hatchback landscape. Though I do regret the lack of a Polo variant which was specced as well as the top i20 in terms of safety features.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:06   #328
BHPian

I don't know if this has been discussed here (I think it has not been)

I was looking at the VW website. They have one dealer in mumbai and one in navi mumbai.

Now Polo is targeted to be a volume seller. Won't VW's service network (with only two service centers) be stretched to the limits to handle the volumes ?

After sales might be a potential problem. I also see a dealer application form on the website : which indicates VW is looking to expand. But for the time being : only two dealers for mumbai + navi mumbai combined : i think they need a few more.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:22   #329
BHPian

"the petrol Polo is divine; the diesel disappointing!" says Bert @ Overdrive.

The mint with no hole - VW Polo First Drive - First Drive : Overdrive
Old 25th February 2010, 14:35   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
After sales might be a potential problem. I also see a dealer application form on the website : which indicates VW is looking to expand. But for the time being : only two dealers for mumbai + navi mumbai combined : i think they need a few more.
Spot On! The car per se and its build quality I would not question. VW stand to loose a lot of reputation if they skimp on those. What will decide the game in favour of or against the Polo will be the A.S.S network and its quality.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed