Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:12   #106
BHPian

Pricing is certainly no very high but also not value for money. A Swift/ Punto MJD is cheaper then Polo 1.2 Tdi. I would certainly wait for its reviews against the GP 1.2 MJD as the core would really be put to test (MJD being the national engine )
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:23   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
84,000 loss for VW for manufacturing polo!

Marketing joke and ACI has the balls to write this crap!

VW is not in India for social service or improve the quality of life for Indians. Its the same manufacturer who is also managing the Skoda. I would take this news with a ship load of salt!
Yes, either it is the Skoda gene in VW or vice versa

When Ford can make a car which is almost similar or even better at 3.5 lakhs and still expect to make a profit these guys claim the cost price itself is 5.22Lakhs onwards(4.38L+84k). Good joke!!!

It is actually the magazine that needs to be ridiculed for giving the readers such information.
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:53   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post

When Ford can make a car which is almost similar or even better at 3.5 lakhs and still expect to make a profit these guys claim the cost price itself is 5.22Lakhs onwards(4.38L+84k). Good joke!!!

It is actually the magazine that needs to be ridiculed for giving the readers such information.
with you. No one enters market to suffer such big margin losses especially when they know their cars would get high bookings initially. The manufacturing cost is never so high with so much localisation. GM has done with Beat, Ford will do with Figo. I am sure Suzuki will also cut prices of swift as they already got into 1.2ltr car to keep share in market.
Old 22nd February 2010, 13:06   #109
Senior - BHPian

84k loss for selling a Polo? I doubt it. In my opinion, it is just a prelude to hiking the price after probably a couple of months, citing the present price as an "Introductory offer". In my opinion, the present price itself is bordering on high considering the options that Polo gives.
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:22   #110
Senior - BHPian

ABS only on the top-of-the-line highline version? That is unacceptable. VW can atleast offer ABS as an option on the comfortline version.
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:21   #111
BHPian

Are we getting this version of diesel Polo here? Volkswagen Polo BlueMotion review - Telegraph
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:33   #112
BHPian

I am keenly waiting for the Polo. It seems like tomorrow the final prices will be revealed officially. Any news?
Old 22nd February 2010, 19:59   #113
BANNED

I20 may loose more market share than Punto in the 1.2 litre segment.
Owners willing to compromise safety will stick to Japanese cardboard boxes.
Polo will be game changer both in 1.2 ltrs petrol and Diesel bringing solid reliable product.
Sure worth the money for polo.
Eagerly waiting reviews from GTO.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:04   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post

I agree to the part that the Rs.84,000/per car loss is utter crap. Who asked them to splurge on the Multi-crore full page news paper ads? Are they trying a Veyron gimmick here? I've heard that the VW Group makes no profit in selling the Veyron.

I don't think it's fair to compare the Polo and Figo pricing. IMHO Figo must have made substantial savings by using the existing Fiesta platfrom. If the Polo platform is new (Internationally) then they need to recover that cost as well.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:12   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YVES View Post
I20 may loose more market share than Punto in the 1.2 litre segment.
Owners willing to compromise safety will stick to Japanese cardboard boxes.
Polo will be game changer both in 1.2 ltrs petrol and Diesel bringing solid reliable product.
Sure worth the money for polo.
Eagerly waiting reviews from GTO.
Common YVES.
1.Since when did the Oil sipping VW Jetta/Passat and epitome of un-reliable service = Skoda (VW Group) become the flag bearers of reliability?

2. The Japanese/Korean manufactures are unquestionably high on reliability.

"Owners willing to compromise safety will stick to Japanese cardboard boxes."

Which manufacturer are you referring to?
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:22   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare the Polo and Figo pricing. IMHO Figo must have made substantial savings by using the existing Fiesta platfrom. If the Polo platform is new (Internationally) then they need to recover that cost as well.
Polo is based on the same platform as Skoda Fabia. It even shares the production line with fabia!!
If Ford can derive a small car costing say 3.5-4.0 Lakh (Base) from a 6 Lakh+ car then why not Polo? IMO it will be very fair to compare Polo with Figo, after reading GTO's Figo review.

Last edited by HammerHead : 22nd February 2010 at 20:27.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:24   #117

Surprising - VW to announce POLO prices just 3 days before the budget

I find it surprising that VW would announce prices just 3 days before the Budget - 26 Feb.

If VW announces prices, and there are some unwelcome surprises in the budget with excise rates, are they going to revise them upwards next week?

I am almost willing to bet that we won't hear of any pricing announcements until after 26 Feb.

Also - I have found in the past that most auto magazines in India tend to jump the gun in trying to outdo each other with scoops and announcements.

ACI had announced the new Lancer to be launched in India in April 2009 for example and the Lancer Evo X in Jan 2010. There is no news of either.

L-Evo
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:31   #118
BHPian

The Punto base is too small compared to i20/Swift, so Fiat should not worry ant Polo. In fact Polo might result in people looking alternatives to Maruti/Hyundai and Punto might just come into the consideration set
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:22   #119
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Common YVES.
1.Since when did the Oil sipping VW Jetta/Passat and epitome of un-reliable service = Skoda (VW Group) become the flag bearers of reliability?

2. The Japanese/Korean manufactures are unquestionably high on reliability.

"Owners willing to compromise safety will stick to Japanese cardboard boxes."

Which manufacturer are you referring to?
Answer on Japanese Reliability is in the Link Toyota boasted of saving $100M on recall - Feb. 21, 2010
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:43   #120
BHPian

There are reasons why Fiat is no longer Europe's largest selling automobile. There are reasons why VW is now Europe's largest manufacturer and the world's 2nd largest car maker.

Based on VW's track record, its reliability will be better than the Punto, though not as good as the Asians. Its parts will be expensive. Its interior quality will by default, be far superior to anything in the market. Based on the reviews out there, ride quality should also be far better than most of its competitors. There is a certain sense of solidity that not even the Punto will be able to match. In fact in this sense the Punto will be to the Polo what the Swift is to the Punto.

I agree that the Punto will have more gadgets than the Polo. Some people value gadgets over the engineering. Others however will go for the "experience" rather than the cheap thrills with the latest gizmo.

Looks are subjective. I like the look of both cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
We still don't have any test drive reports ! Forget about drive and build! consider the high spare cost and A.S.S. If we compare Polo and Punto ( i20 is overpriced by a long margin ) , the build quality is probably going to be same. Drive quality can only be confirmed when we have a detailed TD report, Punto is still the leader in handling and ride department ( don't see Polo wining with a big margin ). I don't see anything premium in Polo. What does it offer which Punto doesn't ? may be the same old debate - plastic quality ! But from the pictures - Punto have a better steering , a better dash layout ( IMO ) , more number of gadgets ( yes, even i20 doesn't have all these ) . More importantly , exterior - IMO Punto still looks better than Polo. And now when we talk about A.S.S., this time around probably the comparison between Polo and Punto would sound like comparing Punto and Swift ( got my point ? ).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks