Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2010, 21:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

Decent pricing, little bit on the higher side but after all it is VW. 1.6 highline is the best bet of the lot.

Looks like Hyundai needs to be worried, i20 sales may take a hit.

Last edited by Latheesh : 20th February 2010 at 21:53.
Old 20th February 2010, 21:55   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Good thing is- prices are not as high as say the i20. Seems to be slotting exactly opposite the Punto. If the car could manage decent performance (especially the diesel) this might trouble Punto. I am not sure how Swift will be affected considering Maruti's ability reduce prices if there is a need.

However, if it is going to be a modified form of the Fabia's diesel motor, other manufacturers may not have much to worry about.
+1 to that. If VW plans to waste such a good chassis with the Fabia range of engines, then Punto need not worry. Unless buying a VW adds some snob value.

The difference between 1.2 highline and 1.6 highline seems improbable. Considering the excise differece of 12% and the higher cost of the engine.
But if its true, then VW need not bother launching 1.2 highline.
Old 20th February 2010, 22:24   #33
BHPian

sid can u find out the details about the kits they were talking about? i mean option packs which could be added separately. things like upgrade to touchscreen audio system and stuff like climate control. are they gonna provide such packs or its just my day dreaming?
Old 20th February 2010, 22:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

No idea about the "kits" and accessories etc either, as of now. No auto climate control will be offered.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo price. EDIT : Launched. Actual prices on Page. 12-untitled1.jpg  

VW Polo price. EDIT : Launched. Actual prices on Page. 12-untitled2.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 20th February 2010 at 22:39.
Old 20th February 2010, 22:45   #35
BHPian

Quite decent pricing. VW has aggressively pursued localization of the Polo, throwing lots of parts found on the European car into the bin and replacing them with simpler components. T-bhpians have seen Polos being tested now for almost a year, especially in and around Pune. Finally, it seems like all those efforts have paid off. At these prices, the Polo should be able to generate significant volumes.

Even the 1.6 seems like a volume player. At 6.04L its an absolute steal, being a shade more expensive than the equivalent 1.2 petrol.

I wish VW had put more features and a better engine into its top-end petrol Polo and priced it between 7.0L and 8.0L. But the current specs and price seem to be a good strategy to generate sales.

I wonder what the folks at Honda who are responsible for pricing the Jazz are thinking now. The best (1.6) Polo is almost a full lakh cheaper than the 1.2 Jazz!

Last edited by theEnd : 20th February 2010 at 22:47.
Old 20th February 2010, 22:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Decent pricing, little bit on the higher side but after all it is VW. 1.6 highline is the best bet of the lot.

Looks like Hyundai needs to be worried, i20 sales may take a hit.
+1 to that, its Trendline diesel is same price as Punto, a big worry for Fiat. That is a very aggreessive pricing byVW to keep the price under 5L for diesel. It looks like VW want to take head on with Swift to get the volumes.

i20 petrol will be affected, especially with 1.6 highline. But CRDI Asta and Asta (O) seems to be in a niche segment (say supermini).
Old 20th February 2010, 23:07   #37
BHPian

Specification

I was just going through the specification feature comparison .pdf file and was horrified to see that in the highline version they are giving 15 inch alloy wheels but the spare wheel will be 14 inch wheels. Now this means that they are going to supply the car with different aspect ratio tires or God only knows what. Either the .pdf file is wrong or they think that they can get away with anything in India and Indians. Is the Skoda effect rubbing out onto the parent company too. If so they might as well pack up and leave the country. I hope and pray the .pdf file is wrong. Prospective buyers should not buy the car unless all the wheels are having tires of the same aspect ratio whether steel or alloy.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 20th February 2010 at 23:09.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:15   #38
Team-BHP Support

drpullockaran, I don't see the problem in different aspect ratio?

Many high end cars give a space saver tyre of a completely diff size just so it can fit in the boot. As long as overall diameter is same there is no problem.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:18   #39
BHPian

Are you happy with the Fabia diesel's 3 cylinder engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpzone View Post
+1 to that, its Trendline diesel is same price as Punto, a big worry for Fiat.
If its the same extremely noisy and crude diesel engine thats in the FABIA then FIAT and other diesel cars need not worry. Have a ride in the Fabia diesel and you will know what I am talking about.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

1.2 Petrol Highline seems a tad overpriced,not much difference between it and the 1.6 either.So 1.2 petrol Highline sales may take a hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If its the same extremely noisy and crude diesel engine thats in the FABIA then FIAT and other diesel cars need not worry. Have a ride in the Fabia diesel and you will know what I am talking about.
Its not the one from the Fabia,the 1.2 three pot diesel is a new one
Old 20th February 2010, 23:34   #41
BHPian

Come on are you pulling my leg or are you serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
drpullockaran, I don't see the problem in different aspect ratio?

Many high end cars give a space saver tyre of a completely diff size just so it can fit in the boot. As long as overall diameter is same there is no problem.
This means tire rotation can go take a hike. How are we going to use the spare tire in the event that there is no puncture. Surely you are not going to use different aspect ratio tires for more than reaching the nearest puncture repair shop.
As an experiment use the oldest ZENS 13 inchers with the recently discontinued ZENS 12 inchers on the same axle front or rear with same brand and type tires with the exact same overall diameter and take a high speed corner and then do it in the opposite direction. You will know what I mean. Even the unsprung weight will be different. Tires of the same make, shape, design and aspect ratio but made in different months of differnet batches also should not be intermixed. Ask your friends who visit the track about using different aspect ratio tires on the same axle. Make sure you wear a helmet when you speak to them. Just kidding. Seriously are you pulling my leg.

Last edited by drpullockaran : 20th February 2010 at 23:41.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:40   #42
BHPian

Its unfair to judge POLO from the Fabia experience. After the experience with fabia, I don’t think they will make all these investment to get a mediocre product.

VW is on a volume game and they are targeting the Swift market (very similar features) they have studied the Indian customers well, the product is for the masses. Three most factors for indian mass segment IMHO is Price, Mileage and A.S.S.

Now with competitive pricing and a class leading mileage if they can get their A.S.S right, VW got a winner here. Looking at their spanking new showrooms, its definitely going to be better than Skoda.

Last edited by hpzone : 20th February 2010 at 23:41.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:41   #43
BHPian

The 1.6 highline price is definite drool. Even the Diesel seems like reasonable VFM. But until this car is out on the road and the reviews trickle in, it'll be hard to judge the merit of the car or the price.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:42   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This means tire rotation can go take a hike. How are we going to use the spare tire in the event that there is no puncture. Seriously are you pulling my leg.
No Sir not at all. The spare tyre is not meant to be used as a regular tyre. If you get a puncture use the spare till you get the regular fixed. Once fixed you put back the regular. If the spare size is different then the manual will clearly state that on the spare you should not exceed 80km/hr and there will be a warning that car will not behave the same as before.

As for tyre rotation instead of a 5tyre rotation you do a 4 tyre rotation. Yes your 4 tyres will get worn out faster as the 5th is not being used.

It's a pretty standard practice actually.

In the case of Polo, the size is different. In case of manufacturers like Honda and Skoda, they provide only 4 alloys. So if you get a puncture and replace it with spare, the spare will be a jet black steel wheel. Even there you can use the spare only till you fix the regular.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:42   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This means tire rotation can go take a hike. How are we going to use the spare tire in the event that there is no puncture. Surely you are not going to use different aspect ratio tires for more than reaching the nearest puncture repair shop.
As an experiment use the oldest ZENS 13 inchers with the recently discontinued ZENS 12 inchers on the same axle front or rear with same brand and type tires and take a high speed corner and then do it in the opposite direction. You will know what I mean. Even the unsprung weight will be different. Ask your friends who visit the track about using different aspect ratio tires on the same axle. Make sure you wear a helmet when you speak to them. Just kidding. Seriously are you pulling my leg.
The smaller space saver tires are not for taking high speed turns or anything - just an emergency back-up to get you to a nearby tyrewala. The idea is you'll never have to be stranded. They are by no means a substitute for the real one.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed