Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 03:56   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
The Suzuki K series engine is also 1242 CC internationally, but it was downsized to meet the small car norms. Nothing's stopping the europeans from doing the same. Honda also developed the 1.2L engine in the Jazz for india. Earlier they were selling a 1244 cc iDsi engine in europe. So no tricks to learn as such, just to develop better engines and sell them here. For example VW has a 1.2 TSI engine which they sell in europe, but its not offered here
Exactly. Its easy to say it here (or on paper). The tricky part is actual execution - which the japs have managed to do.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:39   #62
Senior - BHPian

I'd pick the diesel comfortline to be one to buy, expecting the diesel to be more drivable and economical to run. Great tourer for two as well, that one should be, with a USB stick driven system installed. Let's hear the test reports now!
Old 21st February 2010, 08:46   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
I think its 1242cc to be precise, which doesn't make the tax cut in India. So selling their original "Europian" brand in the Indian hatchback market is not a viable option. So what do they do? Chop, strip & sell! No offense, Europian cars are in no way supposed to be any less than Japanese or any other. It's just that the economics are stacked against their kind of engineering for our country. Or they have to learn the "trick" of compromising from the japanese/koreans!
The Polo 1.2 is 1198, so it falls under 1200 cc. Reducing/increasing engine cc is not big deal. No additional marks for the Japanese here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
For close to a lakh more, the Highline has the following in addition to Trendline:

15" Alloys with wider tires - 20K
Chrome Interior Trims - 1K
Better upholstery and door trims - 5K
ABS - 20K
Dual Airbags - 20K
Fog lamps for the front and rear - 6K
CD / MP3 player with 4 speakers - 20K
Rear wiper and defogger - 2K
Multifunction Display - 1K
Remote locking - 4K

Does this warrant a one lakh increase?
Putting some numbers above. I think 1L diff is okay.

BTW, it is hard to believe that there would be only a 35K difference between the 1.2 and 1.6. Even the additional excise would come to more than 35K. I think there is an error.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:50   #64
BANNED

I dot think that the polo will appeal to tall drivers like me. I am 6' 3" tall ad i could just manage to squeeze my legs into the drivers seat. Plus I think the Figo is better VFM & frankly a better car . A better driver's car at least.
Old 21st February 2010, 08:59   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
A fiat palio 1.6 engine is getting dust at showrooms for less than 4.5 lack and no one is ready to have a look at the beauty of that engine. When some good brand which comes with 1.6 for 6 lack then everyone is singing songs and betting to book over it. No good deal. I know fiat palio has not that charming interiors but see the beauty of 1.6 engine and the price at which its going.
I agree that the fiat 1.6 is a gem of an engine BUT alas an engine alone does not make a car. So absence of ABS/braking/Airbags etc do affect the car -- in addition to branding & A.S.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
..... Plus the Polo has a great chassis, a 1.6 engine in the polo sounds great. You also have to acknowledge that the Polo has much better interiors, ABS, Airbags, etc compared to the Palio
Yes, the polo has better features and a more modern car in terms of trim levels BUT that palio chassis and sound of the Fiat 1.6 motor is second to none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
Also I noted here that no one ever said once what would be mileage of 1.6 Polo but I remember that people used to cry that Palio 1.6 will burn hole in your wallet will low mileage. I just wonder how much a brand change peoples mindset.
Kind of agree BUT still the FE of fiat 1.6 is kind of par with engines of 1.8 capacity However, nothing beats the thrill of driving a good 1.6 GTX/S10
Old 21st February 2010, 09:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

Then ACI article also states that VW will lose Rs. 84,000 on every Polo produced. So they need volumes to overcome the losses, and a huge one at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If its the same extremely noisy and crude diesel engine thats in the FABIA then FIAT and other diesel cars need not worry. Have a ride in the Fabia diesel and you will know what I am talking about.
The Polo diesel is not Pumpe Duse, but a modern Common rail unit.

1199 CC, 75 ps, 3 cylinder, exclusive to India, this motor is actually a downsized version of 1.6 TDI CR that powers the polo internationally but with one cylinder less.
The torque 180nm@2000 rpm may not sound that great as compared to the multijet (190nm@1750 rpm) but I do ecpect VW motor to have class best mileage.

I also think that being a 3 cylinder does not necessarily mean that the motor is bad.
Tax breaks aside, most global manufacturers are going for downsizing to get maximum mileage and minimum CO2 emissions as regulations get stricter.

You all may be surprised to know that the 2012 Porsche Boxster and 2012 BMW 3 series may eventually be available with turbocharged 3 cylinder in their entry level spec.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo price. EDIT : Launched. Actual prices on Page. 12-untitled1.jpg  

VW Polo price. EDIT : Launched. Actual prices on Page. 12-untitled2.jpg  

Last edited by sidindica : 21st February 2010 at 09:23.
Old 21st February 2010, 09:23   #67
BHPian

Its priced reasonably. If I wanted a petrol hatch I would pick Polo 1.6 over i20 1.2, Honda Jazz or Punto 1.4. How old or how new is that 1.6 engine and how does it perform is the question only Test Drives can answer.

Polo 1.6 though sounds exciting now will face stiff competition when Figo 1.6 gets launched. GTO in his review mentions Figo 1.6 is sure around the corner once the Figo 1.2P and Figo 1.4D sales starts ringing and have established themselves as fuel effecient cars. It will be great comparo between these two high powered hatches Polo 1.6 and Figo 1.6.
Old 21st February 2010, 10:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Then ACI article also states that VW will lose Rs. 84,000 on every Polo produced. So they need volumes to overcome the losses, and a huge one at that.

At face value, something wrong with that statement. As it reads, the more they sell the more they will lose!
Old 21st February 2010, 10:17   #69
Senior - BHPian

It seems good pricing and still the FE is higher than the Maruti cars. I will wait for the Diesel version to come.
Old 21st February 2010, 10:30   #70
Senior - BHPian

3,600 views in just one night, looks like the VW Polo is the next big thing!
Old 21st February 2010, 10:35   #71
BHPian

Great work as usual, sid!

Is this the same diesel engine as has been reviewed here? - VW Polo 1.2 TDI Bluemotion (2010) CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

If so, the engine doesn't seem to be very silent.
"The common rail unit is a guttural engine, which growls under acceleration like Cerberus on a frustrating day at Hades’ gates. And it’s not as if VW has filleted some sound deadening to pin down weight to 1080kg – ear defenders as standard please chaps."

Let's see how people take to it.
Old 21st February 2010, 11:08   #72
BHPian

Looking at these prices I really wonder what the Polo's USP is going to be? I don't find the prices enticing enough.

Who are the folks who will switch from the existing reputed brands to a relatively unestablished brand? VW does not have the pull of the Honda or Toyota.With a month or so to go for the launch I don't see any great increase in the service network either.

Looks wise I don't find the Polo as good as the international version of it.

I feel the Polo might struggle a bit.
Old 21st February 2010, 12:07   #73
BHPian

Prices of 1.2 Highline for a 3pot TDI engine is high. The price difference between variants is very high.

Appears VW will find it tough to turn the tide from competition i20, Swift , Ritz etc with VW;s downsized 3 pot engines and NOT downsizied PRICEs.

At this price and SKODA in their hands, Chances of NOT becoming a JAZZ will ask tough marketing JOB by VW.
Old 21st February 2010, 13:16   #74
Senior - BHPian

The i20 makes up for the not so powerfull engine with loads of kit and the punto too comes with quite a lot of features at around the same price as the 1.2 highline. Add to this the poor VW dealer network and it does not look too bright for them, unless they do a ford ! (open 29 dealerships/service centres in a day)
Old 21st February 2010, 13:21   #75
BHPian

In my humble opinion the VW badge holds as much premium as the Toyota or the Honda badge. They may not be the best priced compared to say Swift/Ritz and Beat but sure they look reasonable when compared to Punto,Jazz,i20 and Fabia.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks