Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2010, 20:40   #91
Senior - BHPian

I can't really believe that a manufacturer would incur a loss of Rs.84,000 on every Polo they make. It just sounds too ridiculous to me! I don't think Polo has such large manufacturing costs when there's so much localisation. Even Tata makes profit by selling a mere 1lakh nano! And this is a 5-6L hatch. And why would a company even reveal such information to a magazine? Also the prices? I don't know the truth but i cannot believe ACI at this moment. The real story will only come to us on 23rd.
Old 21st February 2010, 20:42   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Source: Autocar India March 2010 issue
  • 1.2 petrol trendline- 4,34,000
  • 1.2 petrol comfortline- 4,83,000
  • 1.2 petrol highline- 5,70,000
  • 1.6 petrol highline- 6,04,000
  • 1.2 diesel trendline- 4,99,000
  • 1.2 diesel comfortline- 5,49,000
  • 1.2 diesel highline- 6,39,000
All prices are ex showroom, Delhi, in rupees.
are these pricing for real?

any confirmation by VW india or this is a delibrate leak to the press?
Old 21st February 2010, 20:50   #93
Senior - BHPian

I cannot wait for a comparison test between punto MJD and Polo TDi.
Old 21st February 2010, 23:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
I can't really believe that a manufacturer would incur a loss of Rs.84,000 on every Polo they make. It just sounds too ridiculous to me! I don't think Polo has such large manufacturing costs when there's so much localisation. Even Tata makes profit by selling a mere 1lakh nano! And this is a 5-6L hatch. And why would a company even reveal such information to a magazine? Also the prices? I don't know the truth but i cannot believe ACI at this moment. The real story will only come to us on 23rd.
+1.

It may be true that they have a smaller margin initially just to generate volume and later on when the car is established in the market they are likely to increase the price. Loss on a new car! Even for stock clearance I don't think companies are losing anything.

I really doubt this pricing information. A company who is so sensitive about revealing their exact sales information would tell a mag about their pricing even before the launch !
Old 22nd February 2010, 03:22   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
We are humans sameer, we all like to welcome the rising sun and turn away from a setting sun. How long will this new sun will shine, is a hazardous guess. If reaction of Mango Man to the 1.6 GTX is anything to go by, we know where it is headed.
Ya true I agree we are humans and we welcome rising sun. But thing is that when Fiat can sell palio 1.6 for less than 4.5 lack then why is VW planning to put 6 lack sticker. I agree its top loaded model with ABS, Airbags etc. But 1.6 palio is also top loaded i guess what is lacks is abs and airbags i think. So I think they could have priced it around 5.25 lack easily. Again I am not commenting on 1.2 ltr polo as its extremely overpriced for 1.2 ltr engine.
But I kinow there are many takers for it infact it will be sold out day one booking start.
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:02   #96
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
This is no news. Testing pictures over the last several months have revealed many differences. There is no way VW could have acheived such low pricing in India if this cost cutting hadn't taken place.
).

Exactly what i meant, since they have done so much cost cutting, their base 1.2 should cost not more than Rs. 380,000. & I think its quite possible for them to do that. Also the 1.6 petrol , most of the people here think that its a good price, however i think that at that price one can get a fiesta 1.6 that offers better performance , better dynamics, cheaper parts, better A.S.S. & also the Indian favorite i.e.. a boot. Hence the cost cutted polo is not good VFM , neither it is involving to drive and is not at all spacious. One more thing, Service parts,mechanical parts and body parts costs go sky high. Eve a jazz might prove more affordable when it comes to parts.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:45   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer551 View Post
But thing is that when Fiat can sell palio 1.6 for less than 4.5 lack then why is VW planning to put 6 lack sticker.
That is not true. I remember the top of the line Palio 1.6 GTX was selling for 5+ lakhs ex-showroom in 2001/2002. And the Tendulkar special edition (only 500 produced) cost more than six lakhs. At this price, the Palio 1.6 bombed spectacularly. Due to lack of sales, Fiat dealers started selling the GTX at a loss, and eventually new unsold pieces were being offered for under four lakhs, and still going unsold.

Anyway, my point is that even 4.5 lakhs in 2001/2002 is much more expensive than 6 lakhs in 2010. Compare prices of cars that have remained in sale for all that time (say Maruti 800) to see what I mean. That is, compare the 2001 price of the 800 with today's price. At 6 lakhs, the Polo 1.6 is an absolute steal.

Last edited by johnjacob : 22nd February 2010 at 09:46.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:24   #98
Senior - BHPian

why is that VW makes loss of 84K by selling the Polo :-s In that case, any idea what is the break even for VW Polo.

Also point to remember here is that these prices are ex-showroom Delhi. So other cities like Bangalore would be more than this. For "not so aggressive looking" car (personal view) with limited A.S.S, prices are on higher side.

1.6L looks steal but like a person buying Manza over Punto, if VW starts sharing floor with MSIL common man will buy DZIRE But on a positive note, though there will be less takers for 1.6, VW has respected the enthusiast by giving an option of 1.6L at 35K more from 1.2L
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:08   #99
BHPian

Elite Motors, India Pvt. Ltd opened a new Volkswagon showroom in Central Bangalore, near Garuda mall.

During the press release, VW's corporate honchos fielded some questions regarding the future of the company here. After filtering out the usual hedging, I took away some very salient features from them:

1) We intend to be manufacturing at full capacity for Indian markets by 2015
2) We want a 8-10% Indian market share (VAG group)
3) Indian markets can expect a few more CKDs and CBUs

Perhaps the most poignant point in reference to the mass market:

1) Expect a modified VW Fox (4 door, perhaps the VW Up? ) for our markets, I have no idea of the time frame, but for the kind of market share they want, this segment will be essential for them !

2) One can reasonably expect the 1.8 TSI in the Passat by the 3rd quarter of this year, or early next year

3) Also an entry into the people mover segment, probably a touran, or, another car designed for Indian/Chinese markets (Touran goes for about INR 10,00,000 + in UK markets, so pricing for India may be an issue)

CBU's already include the Touareg, Phaeton and Beetle. I suspect when they spoke about CBUs, they mean an official launch of the Phaeton. I just cant see cars like the Passat CC or the scirocco making it to the Indian Markets in five years time.

Cheers !

imp!

p.s. My personal wishlist is a Scirocco Type R, but, methinks a relocation to Europe will be a prerequisite to owning one !!!
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:18   #100
BHPian

Dankeshen VW, Excellent pricing.
It was always known like Fabia the lower stripped down variants will be priced at par to competition.
So those who are looking for thud and Reliability can go It.
The Highline variants with all goodies built into it is a steal.
1.2 petrol is in for shakeout , no matter its a 3 pot shaking out the 4 pot engines.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:27   #101
Senior - BHPian

I think that is excellent pricing for a 'German' car. I really did not expect such a competitive price for any thing with a VW badge let alone a European car badge. The polo may not be as reliable as some of the Japs but with this price many will be swayed towards 'owning a german' car which definitely will appeal to a lot of Indian buyers. Can any one guide me to the specs of the 1.2 diesel motor or a review on some external site. Tried to find it but failed.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:28   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
1) Expect a modified VW Fox (4 door, perhaps the VW Up? ) for our markets, I have no idea of the time frame, but for the kind of market share they want, this segment will be essential for them !
Did they specifically mention the Fox? Because UP we've heard before. But thinking of introducing the Fox is new.
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:49   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
Did they specifically mention the Fox? Because UP we've heard before. But thinking of introducing the Fox is new.

Nope,

They haven't mentioned the Fox, but, looking at their lineup, it is an option for them in addition to the Up, which will be a mini mpv (it may even open up a market for the segment, something that Versa never quite managed to do) .
About the 1.8 TSI engine, he didn't mention it specifically, but he did say that there are going to be additions to their luxury line up through the CKD and CBU front.

imp!
Old 22nd February 2010, 11:55   #104
BHPian

This 84,000 of loss per car has many different colors not sure if this is cash loss per car which is more serious or this includes depreciation also which is fine as this gap would narrow down after production picks up and they are able to recover sunk cost .
Old 22nd February 2010, 12:03   #105
Senior - BHPian

84,000 loss for VW for manufacturing polo!

Marketing joke and ACI has the balls to write this crap!

VW is not in India for social service or improve the quality of life for Indians. Its the same manufacturer who is also managing the Skoda. I would take this news with a ship load of salt!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks