Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 14:40   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
I think there are 3 general ways by which the layman would assess a vehicle's safety:-

1. Crash Test scores - If safety were indicated by EuroNcap scores, then the Polo scores over the Grande Punto.

EuroNcap test of Polo
EuroNcap test of Grande Punto
And how did you concluded as such? The score for the Polo are in percentage terms while Punto has quantitative numbers.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:46   #332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post

But the segment is already crowded Chevy Beat and i10 provides much better VFM in terms of features.
Polo is a segment up over Beat/i10. We cant compare prices with these cars.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:20   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Agreed !! Puntio Emotion Pk is cheaper and far feature rich than Polo Highline; can't comment about the ride quality though.

I am set to bring a new car to the stable this May (my wedding anniversary y'know) and looks like the fight's going to be among Punto, Polo and Figo, though my heart keeps yelling PUNTO PUNTO.

Anyways, keeping fingers crossed until GTO's review is out.
Hi Sheetymanu!

Here is the link to the first drive of the Indian Polo:
Volkswagen Polo Review

Autocar ofcourse! I was myself in love with the Punto but ended up buying the swift k-series. ( almost waited for the polo, but with the budget coming up could not risk it!)

Here is my reasoning for going for the swift vs the Punto:

Swift:
Pro: Great engine(mileage+power), very well balanced chasis, cheaper with abs (I wanted the abs no matter what),maruti service

Con: Low boot space

Punto:
Pro: Great looks,Great boot space, good ride, good instrumentation, great outer body (metal, paint , wipers, window detailing)

Con: Not great engine (1.2) unreliable mileage(1.4) horrible plastics,unreliable moving parts in interiors ( folding seat clip/hood opener/ glovebox).

Now read the autocar first drive review.
My conclusion for polo:
Pro: German engineering,Good looks, great boot space, good ride, great interiors, great base price(leaves you with cash to put in stuff of your own choice-except for abs ofcourse)
Con: Slightly underpowered engine, VW service (big question mark-considering how they are dealing with Skoda)

I would suggest you go for the Polo highline if you have the cash for the Punto emotion (no contest!) You might find a better made vehicle gives lasting joy and pride, rather than the better looking one!
Also dont go by images of the Polo in looks! you might just love the looks when you see it in front of you.(It looks better in flesh)

I put in a bit extra effort in this mail, since I have just gone through the agonising task of choosing my vehicle. Believe me it was torture, but once I got the car, it was bliss

Cheers!
Old 25th February 2010, 15:28   #334
BHPian

Overdrive says:

"On the expressway, 150kmph is as composed as in a Mercedes-Benz"
Old 25th February 2010, 15:51   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil8089 View Post
In my opinion, Polo's pricing is quiet sensible, even though they could have done an introductory price around 4L for the base petrol variant. Its Value for money in terms of
a. reliability
b. build quality
c. looks and style

But the segment is already crowded Chevy Beat and i10 provides much better VFM in terms of features.
Sunil : the car is not yet in the showroom, test drive reports are not out, quality and efficiency of service is unknown. I think its a little too early to make such confident statements about the car's build quality and if it is value for money.

Beat & i10 are not competing with Polo. Completely different segment.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:00   #336
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And how did you concluded as such? The score for the Polo are in percentage terms while Punto has quantitative numbers.
Not really. The Polo's ratings also depict the quantitative results. So while the Punto received a score of 13.6/16 for the frontal offset crash, the Polo received a 15/16. So quantitatively, the Polo crashes better than the Punto in the frontal test. This fact is further testified on comparing the crash dummy injury depiction on the drawings, wherein the co-passenger in the Polo fares better than the Punto.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:08   #337
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Beat & i10 are not competing with Polo. Completely different segment.
I wouldn't agree with that. After all they are all hatchbacks and a new buyer can consider any of them at the same time.

Any reason why you feel differently?
Old 25th February 2010, 16:09   #338
BHPian

Skoda have updated the Fabia with new smoother looks & VW powertrains

TV

wonder when this car comes to India.
Better be soon if Skoda doesnt want to lose all volums to the Polo !
Old 25th February 2010, 16:16   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Where will this leave the Fabia now?
The Fabia is I believe in a different league alltogether. Once again I believe the Jazz and the Fabia are in a segment of their own along with the golf i.e. if VW plan to ever launch it (call it an overpriced segment or whatever). The Polo is relatively smaller than the Fabia and unlike the Fabia which has air bags in all its variants there will be no air bags in the base model of the Polo. I heard from reputed sources that the build quality in the Fabia is way better than the Polo too.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:17   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAutobot View Post
I wouldn't agree with that. After all they are all hatchbacks and a new buyer can consider any of them at the same time.

We have hatches from Nano to Jazz and all of them are not same. Polo is bigger in size than a I10/Beat. Its in the next segment of hatches.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:22   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAutobot View Post

Yes !! they are hatchbacks : but if we go by that logic : i10 also competes with i20 ; but that is not the case right ? Primary reason : Size of the car !!

Polo competes more in the segment of Swift, i20, Punto.

Also look at the pricing :

The price range for Polo petrol is 4.53 to 6.00 lacs (ex showroom)

The price range for i10 petrol is 3.50 to 5.05 lacs (ex showroom)

The price range for Beat petrol is 3.52 to 4.57 lacs (ex showroom)

See the difference ?

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 25th February 2010 at 16:23.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:41   #342
BHPian

Hi Pro-Idiot,

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. I, however, forgot to mention that having driven Petrol cars for so long, I am actually thinking on the lines of getting myself a Diesel beauty.

Swift Diesel without Airbags, with killing waiting period and less features is a bit No No to me. Hence, Figo Diesel, Polo TDI and Punto MJD would be competing to find a place in my garage.

And yes, I agree Polo looks far better in flesh, the moment I had laid my eyes onto it in recent AutoExpo, I fell in love with its sharp exteriors and beautiful interiors.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:58   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Yes !! they are hatchbacks : but if we go by that logic : i10 also competes with i20 ; but that is not the case right ? Primary reason : Size of the car !!

Polo competes more in the segment of Swift, i20, Punto.
IMHO Swift or Ritz can't be considered a premium hatch category because of its dimensions, so it is somewhere in between i10 and i20 size wise.
A fair comparision would be within each list if only size is concerned.

> Polo, Punto, i20, Fabia, Jazz
> Swift, Ritz, Indica Vista, Getz, Aveo U-Va, Palio
> Beat, i10,
> Santro, WagnoR, Zen Estillo, AStar, Spark
> Alto, 800, Nano
Old 25th February 2010, 17:05   #344
Distinguished - BHPian

I Visited newly opened VW Gurgaon showroom near my office yesterday, they did not have the car for display or TD. The receptionist did not have any information about the TD car's arrival, she told me a tentative date of 4th march for display car but she was not sure about TD car.

I asked them for price list and brochure, surprisingly they did not copies of price list and the only brochure they had for themselves was badly wornout. Firstly VW does not have many showroom in country then the ones they have do not brouchures of their newly launched small car which is they are expecting to bring them volumes.

A Beetle(with plastic covers on seats), some Jettas and a Passat were up on display.

Last edited by .anshuman : 25th February 2010 at 17:07.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:31   #345
BHPian

I am very much against this line in the ACI review
Quote:
With a starting price-tag of Rs 4.34 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) for the base petrol model, the Polo offers fantastic value for money. And we wouldn’t be wrong in saying that the Polo is the new benchmark for the premium hatchback segment.
When you compare with i20 which has similar build and quailty + with more features polo cannot become a VFM(that too fantastic by ACI).I don't understand why ACI gives a confusing and contradicting views(the very next line) for their own.

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 25th February 2010 at 17:33.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed