Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 20:41   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldcrawler View Post
Although not sure about the booking amount but guess it would be in the range of 10-15K or more than that. So the cumulative amount across our nation for these bookings would be huge and so will be the interest. Nice way to earn some extra money which is not cheating by any way.

Anshuman, any idea whether they started taking bookings for the diesel models also ?

Their car configurator shows 1.6 petrol as a engine trim level but the price is "NA". Does that mean it is guaranteed to come in near future ?

OT :
If we compare the accessory prices , few items offered by VW is in fact cheaper than FIAT.
For instance the rear parking sensor . I guess it's ~3.5K from VW and from FIAT it's 4.5K. Also does anyone know whether it will be factory fitted or for all the other accessories offered by VW , are they going to be factory fitted as we are configuring it even before placing the actual car order ?

Sorry for a long list of questions
The booking amount depends on the manufacturer. I paid 50k for booking Punto, Toyota dealers book the Fortuner for 1lakh and Hyundai dealers book a car 10k. These are booking amounts i have personally seen. Not sure about what VW dealers ask for?

Yes they are accepting bookings for TDi variant, but the deliveries will start from May. As for 1.6 version they have the specs on the website, its coming for sure. The acceleration figure of 0-100 in 11.XXsecs looks very promising for a hatchback.

The accessories shown will be fitted at the dealership. I dont think it makes sense to get parking sensors fitted to a car of this size.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:47   #362
Senior - BHPian

Post no 294 by Hpzone on page 20 of this thread has a price list from a cochin dealer which mentions the booking amount as 50k. The link to the attachment - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...polo-quote.jpg
Old 25th February 2010, 22:02   #363
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post
POLO's kerb weight is around 1150kg, almost similar to Grande Punto.
Yikes ! That's almost 300 kg heavier than the Hyundai i-10.

Even the Figo with a bigger back seat and one more cylinder seat is lighter.

Last edited by Mpower : 26th February 2010 at 02:09.
Old 25th February 2010, 22:09   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 1.2-litre petrol engine makes just around 75PS of max power and 110Nm of max torque, but what makes it impressive is the way she projects her power. The Polo petrol certainly isn’t the most powerful engine in its class, but she makes up for that with a superb 5-speed gear box that is very nicely matched to her torque curve. So what you get is seamless and very linear power delivery. This makes her a gem to drive in the city, where higher gears will not leave both the car and you feeling strained. You won’t find yourself pushing the gas pedal through the floor to get her moving and the lack of constant gearchanges will reduce driving exhaustion.

But that really does not matter. This car can hustle and then some. It will get your pulse racing and Chevrolet would have been better off leaving their hearbeat ad concept for this car instead. The larger part of the adrenaline rush that this car generates comes from its superb handling, stability and dynamics. At no point do you ever get the feeling of driving a small and fairly cramped hatchback. On the expressway, 150kmph is as composed as in a Mercedes-Benz. Except for the road noise and speedo, nothing gives away the fact that you're barreling down the tarmac at speeds that would disquiet a lesser hatch. Shock absorption is in another league entirely—something we have come to expect from VW cars and have never experienced in cars in this segment. In that respect, the Polo stands out like an HID beacon amidst candles.
Source - Overdrive

They're are really praising the 1.2 petrol! It's even referred to as silky! Can't wait to get the polo!
Old 25th February 2010, 22:17   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
Yes !! they are hatchbacks : but if we go by that logic : i10 also competes with i20 ; but that is not the case right ? Primary reason : Size of the car !!

Polo competes more in the segment of Swift, i20, Punto.

Also look at the pricing :

The price range for Polo petrol is 4.53 to 6.00 lacs (ex showroom)

The price range for i10 petrol is 3.50 to 5.05 lacs (ex showroom)

The price range for Beat petrol is 3.52 to 4.57 lacs (ex showroom)

See the difference ?
I don't quite buy the size part. The external size of a Grande Punto may be more than an i10. But in does not translate into the internal space for a passenger. Internally if you check the legroom, especially at the rear, the i10 does better.

If you compare the 1.2 litre petrol engine the maximum power for the i10 is 80ps @ 5200 rpm in comparison to the 68 ps @ 6000 rpm. The Polo does better than the GP at 75 ps @ 5400 rpm

The price is infact the interesting part. Certainly an i10 proves to be more VFM for a customer which is proven by its sales in comparison to a Grande Punto.

I am not picking on the GP as such but I just found some quick facts for it so I am quoting it as an example.
Old 25th February 2010, 22:28   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Polo pricing is attractive to someone like me who prefers quality over gimmicks/features.

BTW, VW has been extremely silent on the Polo launch - no big print ads, tv spots, etc. Considering Polo is their 'brahmaastra', I was expecting them to go ballistic over this launch.
Are you sure that the quality of the VW POLO built in India would match the ones that are built in Europe? I seriously doubt it. Considering this fact, I feel that POLO's pricing is a big dissapointment for me.
Old 25th February 2010, 22:53   #367
BHPian

Hi Everybody,

Anyone has any idea if they would be launching the 1.2 TSI in India, i really do hope that they launch the Polo with this engine in India in near future.
Old 25th February 2010, 22:56   #368
BHPian

Is there any TD report of Polo in our forum. I couldn't find one!
Old 25th February 2010, 22:56   #369
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post

They're are really praising the 1.2 petrol! It's even referred to as silky! Can't wait to get the polo!
Quite contradicting reports. While ACI says petrol is average, Overdrive says petrol engine is good.

Overall, i see the diesel engine to be no-good. VW needs the 1.6 or 1.2 TSI to salvage itself in the performance dept.

@GTO: Come on man...put all these speculations to rest with your test drive report.
Old 25th February 2010, 23:14   #370
BHPian

Overdrive has obviously been paid or incentivized to make those comments. Anybody who can "hustle" an "impressive" 3-cylinder, 75bhp engine is either lying or just woke up from a 20 year coma. Also, the comment about the "Mercedes Benz"-like ride at 150 km/h... I'm just wondering... how long do you think it would take for this 75bhp engine to pull the 1100+ kgs of the Polo to that speed? Somebody should do the math and see if its even possible. I know that my 87bhp Swift requires quite an effort and a huge amount of time to pull its 1000kg mass to 150, and tops out at just under 170.

Overdrive just lost all credibility. There isn't a single negative comment in the review.

I drove the previous generation Polo in Portugal 2 years back. While it was a bit more stable than my Swift at speeds of around 100 ~ 140, it also was also a little more subdued, both in its performance and in its feedback. Sure, it made for a more comfortable ride, but it also left me feeling less involved. Not sure if that effect has carried on into the new generation Polo.

Last edited by theEnd : 25th February 2010 at 23:16.
Old 25th February 2010, 23:50   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avmaxfan View Post
POLO's kerb weight is around 1150kg, almost similar to Grande Punto.
Where did you get that figure from?

According to the Volkswagen UK website , the unladen weight of the Polo 1.2 petrol is 1067 kg. The unladen weight of the 1.6 TDI is given as 1157 kg. So i guess the 1.2 TDI would probably be 15-20 kg less. The definition of unladen weight is given as

Quote:
Figures are calculated in accordance with manufacturer’s criteria.
The individual unladen weight depends on the specifi cation of the
vehicle, this then reduces the possible payload accordingly. The unladen
weight and payload both include the fuel tank 90% full, driver (68 kg)
and luggage (7 kg) in line with EU directive 95/48. Unladen weight shown
refers to 3-door models. The unladen weight of 5-door models will increase
by 25 kg.
Link to the same is here http://cdn.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/c...v-brochure.pdf

So if we deduct the weight of the driver, the polo comes in at about 1000 kg. This seems a tad too low to me, as all the other hatches in its class are about 1050-1100 kg(kerb weight that is). Im guessing that this unladen weight is probably the kerb weight itself? Can anyone elaborate more on this. Also i suppose we could say that the Indian polo would weigh less than the european polo due to cost cutting and omission of some features. I checked the Suzuki UK website and the weight of the Swift 1.3 petrol is listed as 1045 kg. The Swift VXI in India weighs 1000 kg.

Last edited by radiokidb : 25th February 2010 at 23:51.
Old 25th February 2010, 23:50   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes they are accepting bookings for TDi variant, but the deliveries will start from May.
Thats nice ,waiting for someone to post a TD report now.
Old 26th February 2010, 01:20   #373
BHPian

While the whole India (atleast we at T-BHP) says Punto is the new benchmark in handling and ride department, Overdrive has completely ignored the little FIAT in its Polo review. It goes on to say "Handling is impeccable and never since the Swift has any car come this close to getting little Johnny to say Yeah Papa!"

I do not believe a **** these auto magazines write in car reviews.

ps: Eagerly waiting for our authentic Team-BHP review
Old 26th February 2010, 09:39   #374

Trendline Looks good!

Waiting eagerly for GTO's review
One thing i notice is that The difference between Trendline and Comfortline is very subtle. Yet its a clean 50 K more and on road will become atleast 55K- 60 K more. Trendline seems like a value buy offering.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:59   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAutobot View Post
I don't quite buy the size part. The external size of a Grande Punto may be more than an i10. But in does not translate into the internal space for a passenger. Internally if you check the legroom, especially at the rear, the i10 does better.
Isn't it that European hatches have bigger bonnets for improved crumple zones, thus reducing the cabin space? (That's my observation though).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed