Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 10:29   #376
Senior - BHPian

Having read all the pricing and features - including the lack of them on the high end ones - the cheapest petrol version seems to be the way to go. The most value for money, and I suspect VWI would not like it if that one sold in large numbers, which means that is best for buyers, almost by definition.
I would have said the same about the diesel car, but given the price difference, diesel may only make sense if used for very high running.
And the base models in both red and white look quite natty. Add a after market USB equipped sound system and central locking, and that is all it needs to make it a very solid VFM hatch.
As long as the engine is driveable, not too loud, and economical - which is the thing to see in the test reports.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:49   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Having read all the pricing and features - including the lack of them on the high end ones - the cheapest petrol version seems to be the way to go. The most value for money, and I suspect VWI would not like it if that one sold in large numbers, which means that is best for buyers, almost by definition.
I would have said the same about the diesel car, but given the price difference, diesel may only make sense if used for very high running.
And the base models in both red and white look quite natty. Add a after market USB equipped sound system and central locking, and that is all it needs to make it a very solid VFM hatch.
As long as the engine is driveable, not too loud, and economical - which is the thing to see in the test reports.
+1. Agree with your reasoning here. If I wanted a petrol hatch I would prefer the Low End Petrol of Polo assuming its silent inside, delivers good driveability and fuel effecient. Other equipments can be added after market. Only thing missing would be ABS and Airbags, but Polo equipped with those would be above budget.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:54   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
Only thing missing would be ABS and Airbags, but Polo equipped with those would be above budget.
Having driven both kinds of cars extensively, I prefer a non ABS car because I think I can get it to a halt quicker. Airbags, now that is a minus yes, but for a city car, I can do without them.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:22   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post

Overdrive just lost all credibility. There isn't a single negative comment in the review.

Oh yes, there is : 'the diesel sucks', which pretty much aligns with the international opinion on the VW 1.2 3-cyl CRDI engine - dull and lifeless.

Now, compared to the diesel, the reviewer felt petrol engine to be 'divine'. Fair enough. Lets wait for further reviews, especially GTO's.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:38   #380
Senior - BHPian

Just read the OD article, I found a lot of negative comment too, about the diesel. The petrol looks more and more like the one to opt for. What would be good is a head to head comparison with the petrol Punto, the K series Swift, and the petrol i 20.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:58   #381
Senior - BHPian

GTO waiting for your expert & un-biased review. During your POLO review please do a comparative analysis with the new Swift & Figo experience.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:46   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetumanu View Post
Hi Pro-Idiot,

I am actually thinking on the lines of getting myself a Diesel beauty.

Swift Diesel without Airbags, with killing waiting period and less features is a bit No No to me. Hence, Figo Diesel, Polo TDI and Punto MJD would be competing to find a place in my garage.

And yes, I agree Polo looks far better in flesh.
You are most welcome! Here is some more suggestions (butting in ofcourse )
a) Swift Diesel (agreed no aribags) for the waiting period: I was told a waiting period of 2 months! but being in Noida you have access to innumerable dealers, which I used to my advantage. Called each one of them up (Delhi/Faridabad/Noida) and got my car vxi with abs (which is slightly rare) in the right colour within two days!
Most high load dealers like competent in Cannaught place or Rohan will have a car, you just need to be persistant in you communication.
Swift deisel is a KILLER car , Its has the least turbo lag and is a true monster.
b) Ford Figo: is a ford and I am not sure of their service.

c) Polo TDI: Is heavy and I expect the diesel to be not great, torque would not be very noticeable (presuming). But good interior build and good looks.

d) Punto MJD: Very mild deisel drove long and hard but couldnt get much out of it.

My two bits for now.

Cheers!
Old 26th February 2010, 15:04   #383
BHPian

Zigwheel's first impression ...

"The engine (petrol) seemed very driveable and was well matched with the gear ratios in the 5 speed manual transmission."

"Unlike most other diesel cars on roads today, the Polo TDI doesn't feel like it's struggling too much below the 2k mark and pulls rather well before unleashing a slightly muted rush of torque just above that figure, after which it just keeps pulling strongly all the way."

Complete opposite of Overdrive's opinion on the diesel Polo.

Read it for yourself...
Volkswagen Polo - First Drive - Reviews - Zigwheels

Last edited by WindRide : 26th February 2010 at 15:05.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:53   #384
Senior - BHPian

I guess the Polo prices would be revised by tomorrow with a 2% excise addition.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:16   #385
BHPian

Read somewhere about Polo having one cylinder less - three cylinder.
How would this affect the drivability and other aspects of the car?

Last edited by sanjaykk : 26th February 2010 at 16:19.
Old 26th February 2010, 16:26   #386
BHPian

I am in chat with my friend whose friend in ARAI and he drove new Polo Petrol from Pune to Mumbai last weekend. According to him the car did not felt like 3 cylender. It is very smoooth. Very Peppy. Very good handling though he was not allowed to drove it beyond 85 KMPH.

Car was fully packed with lot of censor and there was a dish antena installed on the roof. Lot of censores, one for mileage, one for torque, one for road clearance and what not which he did not understand
Old 26th February 2010, 16:45   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
I guess the Polo prices would be revised by tomorrow with a 2% excise addition.
I doubt that would be the case, coz, the excise duty for the small cars remain unchanged. It's only increased for big cars from 20 to 22%
Old 26th February 2010, 16:48   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxminarayan View Post
I doubt that would be the case, coz, the excise duty for the small cars remain unchanged. It's only increased for big cars from 20 to 22%
Maruti and Hyundai both are increasing the prices across the segments so it seems even small cars are not spared. There is still some confusion about which segment gonna take the hit. Big cars and SUVs are the sure candidates though.
Old 26th February 2010, 18:12   #389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan_pullarwar View Post
I am in chat with my friend whose friend in ARAI and he drove new Polo Petrol from Pune to Mumbai last weekend. According to him the car did not felt like 3 cylender. It is very smoooth. Very Peppy. Very good handling though he was not allowed to drove it beyond 85 KMPH.

Car was fully packed with lot of censor and there was a dish antena installed on the roof. Lot of censores, one for mileage, one for torque, one for road clearance and what not which he did not understand
Any information on the milege for DIesel? dealers are talking 23 KMPL, will be interesting to see the ARAI rates.
Old 26th February 2010, 19:17   #390
BHPian

Polo 1.6 just got a lot more expensive after this budget :(
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks