Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 14:31   #31
BHPian

What about Volvo? I saw an S80 put up at the India-SA ODI's, the awful front end reminds me of the first gen accord sold in India, seems way out of place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
^^OT-
is Audi far behind in the race?
Old 25th February 2010, 14:43   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
What about Volvo? I saw an S80 put up at the India-SA ODI's, the awful front end reminds me of the first gen accord sold in India, seems way out of place
volvo is just taking baby steps and has a lot of catching up to do with the top 3 , merc, bmw, and audi. The audi guys are catching up pretty fast seems like going by the number of A4's and A6's that can be seen nowadays.
Old 26th February 2010, 10:19   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
What about Volvo?
Few want to spend 50 lakhs on a brand that's only associated with trucks in India.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:30   #34
BHPian

In yesterday's Autocar show, in AAA section Hormazad said that for only sheer driving pleasure I would go for the BMW 530d but looking to an overall package I would definitely go for E350 CDI. So finally Merc is winner.

So this type of mentality of majority Indian has, and the reason for MB on the top.
(though as I earlier said that I love BMW from my heart but mind says MB only)
Old 28th February 2010, 13:49   #35
BHPian

Merc, apparently is getting over-enthusiastic over the sales numbers. they have published Feb 2010 figures already.
An impressive 438 units in Feb'10 and combined Jan-Feb sales increase of 157% YoY.
If this pace can be maintained, they could look at a figure of ~5K :O

Link to ET artlice.

Edit: May be I should have posted it here. Merc & BWM records sales growth.

Last edited by RakishRam : 28th February 2010 at 13:51.
Old 31st March 2010, 19:26   #36
Senior - BHPian

Some years back MERC ad on news paper was a BIG thing! Thanks to competition, things have changed now.Now day BMW is advertising even in Local FM radio stations!

The "Joy is BMW" ad i hear Daily on 91.9 FM in Bangalore!
Old 31st March 2010, 19:54   #37
BHPian

Mercedes has the bling factor and all but the combination of sexy sophistication and brutal sportiness comes from only one brand and that's AUDI it will have the last laugh in India!
Old 31st March 2010, 20:38   #38
BHPian

Well i think there is an unintended reverse auction for the customers money going on the luxury segment too! Who ever invented the theory of "market forces" must be blessed.

If i was ever in the market for a luxe car, i wouldn't think twice before buying a Jaguar - now that is Indian in ownership atleast
Old 1st April 2010, 12:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
...In yesterday's Autocar show, in AAA section Hormazad said that for only sheer driving pleasure I would go for the BMW 530d but looking to an overall package I would definitely go for E350 CDI. So finally Merc is winner.

No offense, but in a recent Autocar show on TV when someone asked Hormazd which was the best SUV under 30 lakhs, he said the CR-V
Old 1st April 2010, 14:59   #40
BHPian

I really believe the 20+ lakh segment has and will continue to experience major showdowns between all players. There simply aren't enough potential customers in that bracket.

VW learnt that lesson with the Passat. Toyota priced its superior product nearly 8 lacs less than the CRV, the Accord V6 is a sales disaster and the only people buying Camrys' are the hotel chains. That leaves the bulk remainder for the C Class, the 3 Series Corporate edition and a few left for the Audi A4, selling far less post its well hyped launch
Old 1st April 2010, 21:17   #41
Team-BHP Support

I guess the problem with Mercedes in the recent years was that they were trying to be like a BMW, which they were so unsuccessful at. BMW always played on their strengths - that is being a driver's car, and with all those negative reviews on their ride quality and RFTs, they still played by their core strength, and that explains their success.
But I can see that Mercedes is rediscovering themselves with the new C (especially the Avant Garde trim), and the latest E Class.
Old 4th April 2010, 22:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Merc has been the traditional status symbol since late 70s. They had a headstart over BMW. But now Mercs look tired and ageing, no matter how much they do 'em up. Also mostly traditional oldies seem to be preferring Mercs. BMW is the new kid on the block and is finding more favour with yuppies, young rich and self drive types.

By the way, where is Maybach? It made lot of news a few years back but these days we hardly hear about it. Bentley, Rolls and Jag seem to be doing better.
Old 5th April 2010, 00:30   #43
Senior - BHPian

Maybach is not making news even internationally.People are not willing to pay upto to 3 times for just a stretched S-class.
Old 5th April 2010, 19:42   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
But now Mercs look tired and ageing, no matter how much they do 'em up.
Not that I'm a fan of the new age S Class / E Class edgy designs, but will say that they don't look "tired & aging" at all. Not in the least. In fact, they look thoroughly "with the times" and from some angles, futuristic.

Come to think of it : The designs that appeal to me are termed as "tired and aging" the world over. Case in point, the new 7 series. Or, more traditionally, the W124, W140, W126...
Old 7th April 2010, 16:30   #45
BHPian

I cant believe MB did a chop job with the advert! That's stupid. Moreover, they still skimp on kit - the E and C only come with flat mirrors on the passenger side. Moreover, those seeking style will go for the C or the A4 while the 3 is ahead in terms of dynamics. While Hormazd did mention that the E350 was a better package overall, it was because the present 530d will be replaced by the all new F10 5 which would definitely snatch the crown back.

However in this segment, the XF is unbeatable in terms of style.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks