Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2011, 23:56   #61
BHPian

Re: An unlikely PR war. Between 2 very unlikely players (Mercedes & BMW)

I wonder why Audi still hasn't caught up on the ad campaign (if not sales) with Merc and Bmer. Don't they realise that they too are in the same class as M & B?
Old 14th February 2011, 00:17   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
I wonder why Audi still hasn't caught up on the ad campaign (if not sales) with Merc and Bmer. Don't they realise that they too are in the same class as M & B?

^^^thats because audi doesnt like that agressive sales strategy, as you can see they dont offer any heavy discounts like the merc or bmw. audi is a silent killer who sits back and enjoys merc and bmw de-grade each other while they silently will close the indian market. they are number one in europe, china and are on pace to be number 1 in the US. by 2020 audi claims they will be the number leader in the world for premium luxury cars and customer delight.
Old 14th February 2011, 11:10   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
^^^thats because audi doesnt like that agressive sales strategy, as you can see they dont offer any heavy discounts like the merc or bmw. audi is a silent killer who sits back and enjoys merc and bmw de-grade each other while they silently will close the indian market. they are number one in europe, china and are on pace to be number 1 in the US. by 2020 audi claims they will be the number leader in the world for premium luxury cars and customer delight.
What about Audi India's PR and Mktg department which overlooks errors?
  • How about 4 lakh rupee discount on the A6 2.7 TDI and the phasing out of the 3.0 TDI? I can understand that a new model will come soon but still, 6 months are left.
  • And secondly, what about inconsistent delivery timings of A4 and Q7 and what about the TT? Brochure printing errors?
  • LMAO on the offering of "steel wheels with full wheel covers" on the A4 and 8 speed ATs of Q7 being shown as 6 speed in diesels?
  • TT got facelifted in 2010 and yet the new one has not been launched in India.
Old 14th February 2011, 12:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

So we are having a Pepsi-versus-Coke like thingie. I cannot afford the cars, so I will sit back and enjoy the advertisements. To be fair, even though I am not a big fan of the BMW, I see more and more of these cars nowadays. In our office there is a solitary E but up to 6 3-series. Speaks a lot.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:27   #65
BHPian

If the arrival of these two car brands in India were to be switched. Had BMW arrived in India early--About the time Mercedes came--then one is pretty sure, BMW would have lead early. BMW came late for sure, but for past 1 year, it seems to be leading. One believes it[BMW] would continue to reap ahead creating a formidable margin between itself and Mercedes. The beneficient time for BMW has arrived, and it would continue getting better, in comparison to Mercedes who may look ahead with apprehension at the 'downward slope' ahead in its path.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:15   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
What about Audi India's PR and Mktg department which overlooks errors?
  • How about 4 lakh rupee discount on the A6 2.7 TDI and the phasing out of the 3.0 TDI? I can understand that a new model will come soon but still, 6 months are left.
  • And secondly, what about inconsistent delivery timings of A4 and Q7 and what about the TT? Brochure printing errors?
  • LMAO on the offering of "steel wheels with full wheel covers" on the A4 and 8 speed ATs of Q7 being shown as 6 speed in diesels?
  • TT got facelifted in 2010 and yet the new one has not been launched in India.
  • They phased it out because no one was purchasing it compared to the 3.0 TFSI.
  • A4 delivery timings? sorry but A4's are SKD/CKD's so they are always readily available. Q7's on the other side are fresh order make to order cars, unless a customer wants to compromise on the color and options we have in our monthly allocations.
  • A4 wheels covers? and the Q7 3.0 TDI and the 4.2 TDI both 8 speed automatics.
  • there is a option for LED DRL's in the new current TT which the indian model didnt have, the new face lift is basically making all indian models with the LED DRLS.

The Q7 is the best premium luxury SUV in its class, hands down. along with the Q5 there isnt a suv in its class that can compete with it.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 14th February 2011 at 20:46. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:31   #67
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

1<3turbo

Well the Q7 Audi competes with the GL Merc and in many ways the X5 BMW.

The Q7 and GL though both in the same segment are both very different. The GL is much more a genuine SUV then the Q7 which is more like a crossover. In the premium SUV segment both have their fans depending on which brand one pulls for.

Q7 though very powerfull due to it's dimensions and lower Ground Clearance is not that much of an SUC compared to the GL. That said this thread is about the marketing fight between BMW and Merc mainly out here in India.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • A4 wheels covers? and the Q7 3.0 TDI and the 4.2 TDI both 8 speed automatics.
  • there is a option for LED DRL's in the new current TT which the indian model didnt have, the new face lift is basically making all indian models with the LED DRLS.
Since this is a PR thread, I would suggest you to kindly read the brochure of the A4 and Q7 thoroughly, valid from January 2011 and October 2010 respectively, especially the back cover. The brochures are a vital source of information to customers and if they contain these serious errors which is mentioned on the first point (wheel covers plus 6 speed tiptronics instead of 8), and overlooked for last 6-7 months, who is to blame? Obviously Audi India's PR department.

2011 Model range for India is here: http://www.audi.in/etc/medialib/ngw/...e_brochure.pdf

Link: third pic of the first post here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...continued.html

The TT not only has DRLs as option, but also there is a minor change in the grill and front bumper which is not at all visible to an untrained eye. Any idea when that car will come to India? And 3.2 is no longer available in German or global market, instead a 1.8 TFSI, 2.0 TFSI, 2.0 TFSI quattro and 2.0 TDI quattro are available along with 2.0T TTS and 2.5 I-5 TT RS.

Pictures below for your reference.

2007 model

An unlikely PR war. Between 2 very unlikely players (Mercedes & BMW)-auditt_coupe_2007_1600x1200_wallpaper_02.jpg

2011 model

An unlikely PR war. Between 2 very unlikely players (Mercedes & BMW)-auditt_coupe_2011_1600x1200_wallpaper_02.jpg

Last edited by sidindica : 14th February 2011 at 16:56.
Old 15th February 2011, 19:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Just next to the audi delhi showroom, the BMW dealer has this huge poster plastered
Attached Thumbnails
An unlikely PR war. Between 2 very unlikely players (Mercedes & BMW)-photo2169.jpg  

Old 1st July 2011, 22:23   #70
Team-BHP Support

I hope I am excused as I didn't find a better thread to share this.

They aren't Mercs or BMW's, but still...

And yes the ads appeared side by side w/o any gap

@Mods - Please move if this post if found wanting
Attached Thumbnails
An unlikely PR war. Between 2 very unlikely players (Mercedes & BMW)-4.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 22:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

Does the Swift require an AD even? It flies off the shelf!
Old 1st July 2011, 22:52   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Am responding to a 4 month old post ,i know and it's OT.
But @i<3turbo, how can you ever say this!!!
AFAIK, Audi reached this popularity through sheer advertising and product placement, the latter of which Audi is the master.
And there is no other company than Audi which shamelessly targets rival companies and mock them,some of the ads make me dislike Audi even more.
And the other's who say that BMW would have been market king if it had come at the same time as Merc, i beg to differ. The sole reason why BMW is a success in India is it's more youthful image compared to Merc and though expensive it doesn't have the old-money or stinkin' rich status attached to the brand. So people are more comfortable with buying a Beemer. Other than that for Indian usage conditions i don't see any advantages for BMWs, and this in a market where 3ers are used for chauffering.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:12   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW & Mercedes in verbal spat!

"The fight between Mercedes and BMW has entered a different zone. The German luxury car makers are not only slugging it out for customers, but are also engaging in a verbal duel as they fight hard to protect their turf.

After losing the luxury market leadership position to BMW in 2009, Mercedes has accused the fellow German brand of engaging in discounting and model stripdowns to gain volumes and numbers. BMW India president Andreas Schaff was quick to dismiss the view, and said the company has bagged the top position on the strength of its brand and products . "Also, it is wrong that we resort to discounting to gain volumes.
"A stripped down model really does not work for Mercedes and the luxury customers ." He added that Mercedes was not there in certain segments like the mini SUV category (where BMW has the X1) that gave rivals an edge in volumes . "Therefore it is unfair to compare the companies in terms of absolute numbers till the time we have a full portfolio ." In 2009, BMW drove to the top position by selling 3,619 cars against 3247 of Mercedes. The company repeated this in 2010 when it sold 6,246 units against 5,819 by Mercedes."

Luxury car makers BMW, Mercedes in verbal spat as battle hots up - The Economic Times

Cheers!

Last edited by volkman10 : 2nd September 2011 at 12:14.
Old 5th September 2011, 00:33   #74
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes can blame the X1 as much as it wants but here are some of the reasons why they are not #1, I have not put them in order of what is more important just posted randomly.

1. They did service the customers well until BMW / Audi came in. It was not just dealers, the company too took complains lightly from us.

2. Never acted pro-active in ensuring certain basics like fully electric seats as standard in their E / C models and never offered better engines in India again until the competition came in.

3. Had loads of dealers come and go, created a lot of grey area in the markets, and then they started appointing mass market dealers, while it is not a bad thing but people selling Maruti's and Hondas when they start selling Mercedes they bring in that attitude with them, while the dealers are now improving they still have a long way to go.

4. Most of their nice staff including dealers is now with BMW / Audi and to a certain extent now Jaguar & Land Rover.

5. Lacked Marketing appeal, their brochures, News paper ad's never appealed much and one look at BMW's India entry or Audi's ad's and Mercedes suddenly looked like it was stuck in time.

6. Crazy management issues at higher level, the previous CEO Jurgen Schremmp was someone who ruined the brand, but then Dr.Z is now doing all he can to bring it back up, and on Indian level, Dr. Wilifried Auber was the slowest and perhaps the most in competitive manager of all 3 germans, and that is when Mercedes should have appointed Mr. Peter Honegg. The problem is while these issues were going on with Mercedes BMW & Audi were catching up, and now with BMW past and Audi too in few markets it would be a wonderful thing if Mercedes does manage to get back but I seriously think it's hard because while they start working hard it isn't like the others are sleeping and waiting for Mercedes to catch up?

7. BMW India does not have anything against the C, I mean yes 3 is there but it's a dying car which will cease production from November in Germany and soon in India. This battle will be back on with the new 3 which will be out in Q2/Q3 2012, until then BMW will have no upper hand in this segment and once the new 3 is out, Mercedes will no more be able to use X1 as an excuse as the F30 will completely shatter the C-Class and not to mention the onslaught from Audi also with their A4.

8. Mercedes never broke barriers with technology even though they had a lot, they never offered Park Tronic saying its not needed for India, later they did when BMW / Audi offered it, and options like Panorama roof etc only now they are offering which is something that was unique to their sedans for last generation and they should have had it on the E-Class (W212) since launch, helps offer unique options and now from early 2012 they will.

9. Engines is again an area where they are slow, until now the E350 and other 350 variants do not offer CGI, why not? they say our fuel isn't good enough such a contradictory statement when they offer the C200 CGI and other cars in much higher category like the AMG's / S500 / S600 etc.

10. While the new C is wonderful, the CDI models get the 5 speed, yes the car will sell because it's new but the 5 is no more there in the german markets so why is India getting it? Worst is they have the 7G in the C200CGI which is cheaper,

11. Focus on SUV, They had the ML since the first generation but never marketed it well, but then when they saw Audi doing well with Q cars they re launched the ML pretty much towards the end of it's life, yes the car is doing good due to aggressive pricing which is almost like a CKD, but it always should have been like this and well marketed.

They also do wonderful things like hats off to them for having the S-Class assembled here since years even when the volume was in single digits a month, and a lot other things but somewhere in mid 2000's they lost it, and now all they do is try to blame their product portfolio which is not the case, and is only a desperate attempt to try point fingers at BMW who has been a brilliant entrant in India and has shaken and stirred the market to the point where actions come first and then their words,

Good night,
S350L-E240 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 08:20   #75
Senior - BHPian

I still don't understand why none of the 3 have launched manual transmissions, at least in C/3/A4. Many cars in this segment are chauffeur-driven, and the owners will not care about the transmission.
Also, the manual transmissions will bring down the production cost by some 1.5 lakhs, considering that they offer quite advanced automatic technologies (except with CDI perhaps).
My question is: how would it negatively affect these brands if they launch manual transmissions?

Last edited by rohanjf : 5th September 2011 at 08:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks