Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 10:54   #16
BHPian

It's really bad see that they indulge in such a worst act.I feel that very Automobile Manufactures are interested only in money, because of which they try to bring reputation and earn more money.They are many chances that this case might be true.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

I guess the thing to remember is that MB will indulge in big time corruption, but not petty things like the ones they are in the news for! - having said that, I see nothing very wrong in their local CEO having to go to court to assess guilt/innocence. That he has to go is not the problem, that many Indian corporate, political and other leaders avoid being accountable for their actions, is.
Old 26th February 2010, 19:39   #18
BHPian

MB in a forgery case? Its hard to digest that. But after going through the articles, I am shocked. Its just like that Skoda forgery case. I guess European brands need to stop taking us Indians for a ride.
Old 26th February 2010, 23:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Is it true that "Millenium Mobility", showroom next to MB, is no more a Maruti dealer? Last Maruti ad I saw in TOI couple of days back had this dealer's name missing! What is happening?

Edit: just checked maruti's website. The dealer is still there. Looks like the dealer may not be taking part in scheme offered in ToI advt.

Last edited by bj96 : 26th February 2010 at 23:56.
Old 27th February 2010, 23:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Back to the topic, shall we?

AFAIK, when Sanghi's dealership was terminated, what was published in the newspapers was a well-worded notice which states feel-good stuff like X & Y have mutually decided to end their long-standing relationship etc etc. Also, at the bottom of the notice, if I remember this correctly, both names i.e. Mercedes-Benz as well as Sanghi were mentioned.

OTOH, from the tone of the notices in this thread, I find the language, the message and the overall tone a bit more severe and one-sided, like Mercedes themselves are putting out the notice (which they are).

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 27th February 2010 at 23:22.
Old 28th February 2010, 01:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Corruption, Forgery, Blackmail, Arm twisting and words in the same vein existed in the white people's vocabulary long before they came in contact with us Indians. Before you start generalizing stop for a moment and think whom are you badmouthing and on what grounds. I am an Indian and I take it personally when someone calls the entire nation corrupt. Every country has its share of good and the bad but that does not give anyone the right to paint the entire populace with the same brush.

I have been in the International Capital equipment business for 2 decades now and the field is replete with horror stories as to how the whites behave. If you guys think we are corrupt, I believe they are the scum of Earth. I did not want to generalise but have delibrately done so in view of posts above though not without good reason and certainly not in spite.

Why should a CEO of any company MNC or otherwise not rush to court? Is he above the law of the land? It is good to see that our legal system has started to work/the white's have started to acknowledge that there is a laid down legal frame work in our country. Even toady there are a zillion episodes where next to nothing foreign companies are getting away with all sorts of high handedness as our laws lack the bite.

There is always more to the matter than what meets the eye, more information must be gathered before one starts doling judgement on the matter and more so on our national characteristics.

Last edited by khoj : 28th February 2010 at 01:23.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2010, 01:29   #22
BHPian

this is shocking indeed, i think merc is in major pressure now as so many big german giants are come to india now aka bmw, VW etc..
Old 28th February 2010, 21:29   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I guess the thing to remember is that MB will indulge in big time corruption, but not petty things like the ones they are in the news for!
Bingo! I'm sure Mercedes indulges in corruption at the political levels, like most other car manufacturers, but do not believe they'd forge a dealer's signature. At the end of the day, and if a manufacturer really wants to, they have plenty more ways to ruin a dealership's happiness. They can make life for a dealer so bad that he will voluntarily surrender the dealership.

Quote:
having said that, I see nothing very wrong in their local CEO having to go to court to assess guilt/innocence.
I don't either. But what I do find inappropriate is the CEO having to apply for bail, to evade arrest, on the basis of one complaint. Guilty until proven innocent or vice versa? This is NOT to do with a Merc CEO, rather my statement extends to the unfortunate side of our judicial system where arrests are common place based on one mans word. IF he has forged signatures, or is found guilty, THEN the arrests should happen. Not before.
Old 1st March 2010, 13:47   #24
BHPian

MB have also altered their crash test results in the past. I read an article whose link was posted here earlier. Any idea on the progress of this case?
Old 2nd March 2010, 11:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Woot, now here we were talking about MB India, and their potentially corrupt practices, and suddenly the thread has veered to Europeans vs Indians.
LOL

Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed about this case - since trust of many ppl (like our GTO) may be broken.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:21   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HentaiDesi View Post
I highly doubt that MB execs would jeopardize their entire business just to get a dealer off their business in India.
Exactly my point. If Mercedes wanted, there are several more ways to coerce a dealer into forfeiting his dealership. End of the day, and for obvious reason, dealers are entirely dependent on the manufacturer. And if the brand plays the torture game (within the legal framework), its easy for the dealer to get fed up and withdraw from Merc's business. The ball lies in the court of the manufacturer.
Old 4th March 2010, 11:53   #27
BHPian

I'm coming back to this thread after a few days, and now we're diuscussing British rule & Macaulay!?! Thats Some OT.

Back to the topic, has any other news on Merc vs Dealer come up yet? I agree with statements made earlier that Merc will not participate in forging documents to settle accounts with a dealer. Their bribery/forgery would be in higher circles if at all (since we dont have any proof of it in India).

But the CEO rushing for anticipatory bail stinks. Sure he does not want to go to jail even for a few hours, but the fact that he thinks he might be jailed over this issue makes me think that he believes there is something rotten in this matter.
Old 4th March 2010, 12:08   #28
BHPian

Yes, I thinks thats the issue. WHY MBIL CEO feels that police will arrest him?
MBIL is definitely big (money, power) than dealer here. In current political and non political scenario why police will arrest him? Police may arrest him if he denies to cooperate with them.
Old 4th March 2010, 17:12   #29
BHPian

Happened to read that the one week extension of bail granted to MBIL officials on 26 Feb ends today as per this:

HC grants Mercedes officials extension on interim bail | Today News
Old 5th March 2010, 10:53   #30
Max
BHPian

All corporations take customers for ride, now its pay back time. lol.

Well, IMO its really not CEO's job to check every signature for its authenticity, how can it even be possible for person of such high responsibility?.

Most Viewed