Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 21:02   #31
BHPian

Re: Can I buy a new car in Bangalore and register in AP?

Hi guys, I am in the process of buying a T/R registered car in Bangalore, and then transferring it to Hyderabad. I am very keen on the purchase since I am getting it for a good price. I wish to register the car in Hyd and will remain in Hyderabad.

Can anyone kindly share what is the procedure and the levies.

(I did read all the posts in this thread, but could not find a conclusive answer).
Old 7th February 2014, 21:12   #32
BHPian

Where exactly are you saving, in the break up of price, in Bangalore compared to Hyderabad??

I personally can't imagine that being possible, cos if it is, anyone who wants to buy a car in Hyderabad can buy it in Bangalore n drive it down na!

As a kid, I remember people running to Pondicherry to buy cars, as tax was less there or something. Subsequently, the trends died down too, maybe due to tighter norms coming into place.

Another observation its that a lot of heavy commercial vehicles are NL registered. Something to do with price/tax bring less there??
Geo_Ipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 21:45   #33
BHPian

This is possible. All you have to do is, buy the vehicle on a temporary number which is valid for one month and take the car anywhere you want to get it registered. The temporary number slip will have a mention of the address where you propose to get the car registered.

Also note to get the same address mentioned on the invoices where you wish to get the car registered.

I had bought a swift Dzire when it had a long waiting period from Uttranchal and got it registered in Punjab. The entire process is smooth.

We have Motor vehicle act which is same for the entire country and not specific to a particular state or region.

Last edited by mints21 : 7th February 2014 at 21:47.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2014, 22:42   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post

Hi guys, I am in the process of buying a T/R registered car in Bangalore, and then transferring it to Hyderabad. I am very keen on the purchase since I am getting it for a good price.
If the car has a T/R, the final Registration has to be in the same name and at the same address as in the T/R. So Karnataka Registration charges will have to be paid if the T/R has a Karnataka address.

And if you pay the Karnataka Registration charges, there will be no point in registering it in AP. Also, records will show that you are the second owner. Kindly take the losses due to this into consideration before deciding that you are getting a good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post

This is possible. All you have to do is, buy the vehicle on a temporary number which is valid for one month and take the car anywhere you want to get it registered. The temporary number slip will have a mention of the address where you propose to get the car registered.
What you are saying is possible when you buy a car, get a T/R with your name and your address of another state on it and then do the final registration in your name.

In this case, it appears that the car is already on T/R and now he is buying it since it is cheap. Hence what you are saying may not be possible.

Last edited by lapsi : 7th February 2014 at 22:50.
lapsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 13:20   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapsi View Post
If the car has a T/R, the final Registration has to be in the same name and at the same address as in the T/R. So Karnataka Registration charges will have to be paid if the T/R has a Karnataka address.
When cars come to dealers don't they initially come with a T/R that can be permanently registered into any buyer's name. Just wondering.

I wonder who can give me accurate info about the levies and process. Do you think agents hanging out at RTO offices could help?
Old 8th February 2014, 13:47   #36
BHPian

Quote:

When cars come to dealers don't they initially come with a T/R that can be permanently registered into any buyer's name. Just wondering.
Nope. The car is not at all registered.

The temporary number that they sport is a dealers registration. The dealer is given a few numbers which are used on all the cars with the dealer. In other words, they use their dealer number on one car till it is sold and after that the same number is used on the next car and so on and so forth. The number is to identify the dealer and not the car.

I got a couple of cars registered myself last year. What is it that you want to know?
lapsi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 14:28   #37
BHPian

Thanks Lapsi, I did not realize the dealer had a different type of registration. Actually I'm buying a Demo car directly from a dealer in Blr - and then bringing it to Hyd. After your message I spoke to them, and they confirmed that the T/R they have is a dealer T/R only which is different from the customer T/R.

I guess the procedure now will be: I will take a KA T/R in my name. And then bring it to AP. And then do a permanent regn here.

Would there by any additional sales tax / VAT I have to pay in AP?
(Edit: I just found this article that says 14.5% entry tax is payable :( - I wonder if it is payable even if sales tax was paid in KA?)

Can I drive the car down to Hyd with a KA T/R license plate? Or should I have it brought on a truck?

Last edited by ketchup : 8th February 2014 at 14:47.
Old 8th February 2014, 14:50   #38
BHPian

Quote:

Actually I'm buying a Demo car directly from a dealer in Blr.
Why would you want to buy a demo car? It would have been driven by so many people. I would avoid a demo car and get a good clean, latest piece.

Quote:

I guess the procedure now will be: I will take a KA T/R in my name. And then bring it to AP. And then do a permanent regn here.
Yes. That is correct. You will have to give AP proof of address, in the name in which the car is bought, to get the T/R in KA.

Quote:

Would there by any additional sales tax / VAT I have to pay in AP?
I do not think that AP VAT would be applicable as the sale was in KA. However, if there is Octroi/entry tax in AP, you will have to pay it.

Quote:

(Edit: I just found this article that says 14.5% entry tax is payable :( - I wonder if it is payable even if sales tax was paid in KA?)
Just saw your edit. Since VAT cannot be charged, AP has introduced an Entry Tax on vehicles. There goes the advantage of buying the car in KA. You will have to buy in AP, if you want to register in AP. VAT is a state Tax. VAT paid in any other state is a loss for vehicles registered in AP, hence the Entry Tax. So you will not get credit for VAT paid in KA.

Quote:

Can I drive the car down to Hyd with a KA T/R license plate? Or should I have it brought on a truck?
You can drive the car to AP.

However, in Bombay, Maharashtra we get the delivery of the T/R registered car outside the city limits. We are not allowed to bring the car into the city. If we bring the car into the city, Octroi and Registration charges are payable. We have to take delivery outside the Octroi limits and drive the car to the place where it is supposed to be registered.

As long as you are on the Highway, en route to the place of registration, you are within the Law. So if someone tries to harass you, you have to be willing to fight it out with your knowledge.

Last edited by lapsi : 8th February 2014 at 15:03.
Old 8th February 2014, 15:04   #39
BHPian

"There goes the advantage of buying the car in KA."

Dammit entry Tax. Shoot!!
Old 8th February 2014, 15:15   #40
Senior - BHPian

There is no bar on buying a car in one state and registering it in another, at least that is done quite often in Northern India.

You have to get a temporary permit, valid for one month and then you drive it any where in India and register it there.

In case any octroi has to be paid, then you have to pay it there.

The best way is to approach the RTO of the region where you want to register the new vehicle, get all the forms and clarify any doubts you have at the RTO.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 20:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
The best way is to approach the RTO of the region where you want to register the new vehicle, get all the forms and clarify any doubts you have at the RTO.
Thanks Aroy, I will do that next week.

Just curious guys... does the entry tax mean, a manufacturer can't shift car stocks between dealers across states. Or atleast into states where Entry Taxes are levied. I thought dealers could procure car stocks sitting in other States (atleast what I saw many years ago).
Old 9th February 2014, 10:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aroy, I will do that next week.

Just curious guys... does the entry tax mean, a manufacturer can't shift car stocks between dealers across states. Or atleast into states where Entry Taxes are levied. I thought dealers could procure car stocks sitting in other States (atleast what I saw many years ago).
As long as there is no sale, the manufacturer can shift finished product. All the taxes are calculated for the location of the sale. For example in Delhi you can purchase vehicles and then based on your requirement register them in Delhi, UP, Uttarakhand or HP, as long as the vehicle is eligible for registration in that state. All you have to do is buy the vehicle and get a temporary registration for around Rs.1K (which is valid for one month) and insurance cover.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 00:33   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

My cousin took delivery of his Vento in Coimbatore(TN) with temp registration(road tax not paid). Now, he is moving to bangalore and would like to register and pay the road tax here. Can any you one let me know the process for the same.
Old 13th October 2022, 00:04   #44
Senior - BHPian

Folks? What are the latest rules if I want to buy a car from outside Karnataka and then bring it to lets say Bangalore and get it duly registered.

The reason being non availability of the desired variant in Karnataka.

I heard we have to get a temporary registration from the RTO where you are buying and then pay some entry tax ams get it registered in your state.
Old 13th October 2022, 00:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Folks? What are the latest rules if I want to buy a car from outside Karnataka and then bring it to lets say Bangalore and get it duly registered.

The reason being non availability of the desired variant in Karnataka.

I heard we have to get a temporary registration from the RTO where you are buying and then pay some entry tax ams get it registered in your state.
Rules been the same for "traditional" registration. You will pay ex-showroom and insurance to the dealer, as well as Temp Registration costs.

Your address in the invoice and Temp Registration will be the address you will do the permanent registration in.

You will take it to the RTO of final registration based on the address of the invoice, pay the road tax and registration charges to get your number from that RTO.

Note that some states like TN do not give Temp Registration except for specific use-cases (yours probably is a valid one).

The "non-traditional", new way to do this is the BH series registration - if you're eligible, if the state you're buying the car in allows BH registration, get it registered there. And drive all over the country with the BH plate (see BH series thread for the latest on this).

Last edited by libranof1987 : 13th October 2022 at 09:26. Reason: Typo
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks