Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:03   #1
BHPian

Can I buy a new car in Bangalore and register in AP?

Dear Gurus,
I am planning to buy a new car/suv. The dealer in my home town is a smaller one and will be taking atleast 3weeks to deliver the car/suv.
I am planning to buy Indig Manza diesel high end or Scorpio Sle.

I am looking for suggestions on buying the car in Bangalore and taking the car to AP with temporary registration and finish the normal registration in AP.

Mods: please delete if there is a thread on this topic. I could not find in my search.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:11   #2
BHPian

I don't think that is possible. Since you will be paying the lifetime tax in Karnataka and then getting the vehicle registered in Andhra, the RTO may not approve, they may ask you to pay the road tax in Andhra as well. Why don't you get your vehicle from the big cities in Andhra such as Hyderabad/Tirupati/Kurnool. Then you can get the vehicle to your place with TR and then get it registered there. It is much easier.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:16   #3
Senior - BHPian

I didn't understand your logic. When you want to register the car in AP why do you want to waste your money by paying the in karnataka. It is always better to buy a car in the area where your RTO is present. IMO you cannot buy a car here and then take a temp registration and then register in AP. You can do this IFF the whole episode ends in the same state.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:21   #4
BHPian

You could buy it in Ka and then register it in AP, but there is a slight problem, our taxes are the highest in the country, you don't get a full refund when you change the registration. Re-registering (which, if you don't know Kannada) is a PITA!
So unless you are willing to spend months in RTOs and have tons of excess cash sitting around, I'd say, wait for 3 weeks man !!

Congrats on your future purchase btw. Here is to wishing you and your family a comfortable and safe car :-)
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:34   #5
BHPian

Dont buy it in KA. Its more expensive (OTR). You are better off waiting for 3 weeks or like what VRRAJU said, head to Hyderabad and pick it up from there.
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:38   #6
BHPian

As suggested/ answered by many T-BHPians, technically, there is no law preventing you from doing this. But, you should keep in mind that you will have to pay the Road Tax in Karnataka(which incidentally is amongst the highest in India) first and then in AP as well. And there could be a lot of other complications(I have highlighted some below) in the process.

Once you have taken the delivery of the vehicle, there are two choices:

One, to get a permanent registration in Karnataka, drive the vehicle down to AP and re-register it there. Sometime around 1994-95, there was another rule which stated that you cannot re-register a vehicle within an year of purchase, I am not sure if such a rule still exists. If not, you will have to pay road tax in AP. Once done, you can apply for reimbursement of road tax in Karnataka but again it takes a long time for the actual refund to happen and do bear in mind that the refund is always a percentage of the actual amount paid so you lose quite a sum.

Second choice would be to drive down to AP with the temporary registration number obtained in Karnataka. This may be illegal to do so without declaring to the Excise/ Octroi collection department of AP. Since you bought the vehicle in Karnataka, you did not pay AP GST/CST or VAT(14.5% in AP currently), as this is different in percentage to what might have been charged in Karnataka, the excise department will have to formally charge you will an applicable tax on the price of the car. The process itself is a bit cumbersome and will add to your expenses. The RTO/ Excise department has the right to confiscate the vehicle believing it to be stolen or involved in some fraud and release it only after all due investigations are carried out. You will then have to approach the RTO in your town in AP and get the vehicle registered.

My advice to you would therefore be to purchase the vehicle in the state where you are going to get it registered. Personally, I would prefer if it were from your nearest/ local dealer for reasons like if things are missing in the car after delivery(say standard accessories, etc) or even if there is a slightest of issues, you can always head down to your nearest/ local dealer within no time. It would not be the same if you get the vehicle from cities that are far from your place. But, if waiting for three months is not an option you are looking at, traveling to other cities in AP where the car is available immediately might prove to be a solution in your case.
Old 23rd February 2010, 18:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
As suggested/ answered by many T-BHPians, technically, there is no law preventing you from doing this. But, you should keep in mind that you will have to pay the Road Tax in Karnataka(which incidentally is amongst the highest in India) first and then in AP as well. And there could be a lot of other complications(I have highlighted some below) in the process.

Gurus, i am not an expert in this but I bought my Scorpio from nashik & registered it in Faridabad. All i did was to get e temp registration (which costed very less) & got it registered in HR.

So why can this be done in this case?
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

kalyan & sam have covered almost everything. Yes it is possible to do so but as Shishir asks - Why? Its a headache, think about brokerage commission you'll be paying in AP & KA for getting your vehicle to obtain TEMP reg in KA & permanent reg in AP; the difference of additional taxes that you need to be paying.
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure about rules down south but here in North thats possible without any trouble.
Examples: I bought my Swift from Punjab and got in registered in Chandigarh, I bought my Punto from Haryana and registered in Chandigarh and My Elantra was bought from Delhi but is registered in Haryana.
Old 23rd February 2010, 19:09   #10
BHPian

Samtheleo, I am not sure how the HR RTO would have agreed for that, but Andhra's RTO is totally unique in that case. Forget about the registration part. People you have come from other parts of India like the people who got transfers from DL, HR, MH and KA, they are asked to shell out the Road Tax in AP. They are least bothered if you want to register your vehicle in AP if you have the road tax paid for AP. It seems that you don't require it to be registered in AP but atleast you need to pay the road tax which can be huge sum of 50k for a new car.

An interesting fact that in AP, you have to pay the sum to government of AP to get the special number and if the competition is high then it goes for auction which goes beyond 50k to 100Ks based on the fancy number selected.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:52   #11
BHPian

yes, it is very much possible and I did it in March last year. My dad wanted to buy a NHC Gxi after the ANHC was released and dealers in kerala didnt have the colour that we wanted. Since the colour was available here in Blr (with Magnum Honda), we got the car from Magnum, did temp registration in Bangalore, and then did permanent registration in kerala.
Only thing to make sure when doing this is to verify whether your home state charges any entry tax to new vehicles (if not registered outside).
In my case, KL govt had scrapped the entry tax and hence there was no issues.

Temp registration charges in Bangalore was 3k but then I got it as part of the negotiated package.
Old 24th February 2010, 07:20   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
yes, it is very much possible and I did it in March last year. My dad wanted to buy a NHC Gxi after the ANHC was released and dealers in kerala didnt have the colour that we wanted. Since the colour was available here in Blr (with Magnum Honda), we got the car from Magnum, did temp registration in Bangalore, and then did permanent registration in kerala.
Only thing to make sure when doing this is to verify whether your home state charges any entry tax to new vehicles (if not registered outside).
In my case, KL govt had scrapped the entry tax and hence there was no issues.

Temp registration charges in Bangalore was 3k but then I got it as part of the negotiated package.
As stated above, it could be done. Its easier in the north as none of teh states charge entry tax but is slightly difficult in the south as various states have a different complicated tax system. AFAIK, there is a entry tax in AP due to higher VAT compared to other states. Please check with your local Tax Commissionerate before proceeding ahead.

But again why buy from Bangalore when you can buy from Hyd / Vijaywada / Vizag depending upon which is nearest to you.
Old 24th February 2010, 07:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@Shiva, a couple of questions for you. The guys have covered the important points here, but I dont understand why you want to buy in Bangalore. AP has enough dealers to sell you any model you want.

2. Where will the car be used - in BLR or in AP ? And how long ?
If most of the usage will be in AP, then buy in AP & register in AP.

If the usage will be in KA, only then buy & register in KA. If you travel frequently between AP & KA, you can still register in AP (hometown) and use it across the states.

Basically, keep things simple. The hassle of buying here and registering there is not worth it. You can buy anywhere in AP where the specific model is available, take temp regn at place of sale, and get permanent registration at your hometown.
Old 24th February 2010, 12:08   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Only thing to make sure when doing this is to verify whether your home state charges any entry tax to new vehicles (if not registered outside). In my case, KL govt had scrapped the entry tax and hence there was no issues.
Hi Joecherian,
Didn't you have to pay road tax both in KR and KL to start with? I understand that once registered in KL, you could get a refund(not in full IMHO) on road-tax paid from KR.
Here in AP, the road tax needs to be paid before (read as for) getting the Temporary registration from the RTO concerned.

Regards,
Kalyan
Old 24th February 2010, 12:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Not sure about rules down south but here in North thats possible without any trouble.
I am no expert but I believe that the same cannot be generalised for all the states in the North. Please see my explanation below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Examples: I bought my Swift from Punjab and got in registered in Chandigarh, I bought my Punto from Haryana and registered in Chandigarh and My Elantra was bought from Delhi but is registered in Haryana.
IMHO, Punjab, Haryana and Chandigarh come under special administration since Chandigarh is also the capital city of Punjab and Haryana apart from centrally administered UT, it would be possible for one to purchase vehicles in Punjab or Haryana and get them registered at Chandigarh without any additional taxes or fees.

Similarly, if one is to buy a vehicle in Delhi, I am hoping that the registration can be done anywhere in the National Capital Region(NCR) territories which include:
1. Delhi
2. Gurgaon, Sonepat and Panipat (Haryana)
3. Alwar (Rajasthan)
4. Noida, Greater Noida, Ghaziabad and Meerut (Uttar Pradesh)

I am not sure but Faridabad(Haryana) might also be a part of this.

MODS, I am aware that I can use multi-quote for answering multiple questions. In this case, I was not planning to answer more than one listing at first and hence multiple replies.

Last edited by kalyan_hyd : 24th February 2010 at 12:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks