Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2010, 18:25   #16
Team-BHP Support

I think recall's are a good sign, atleast the manufacturer is owning up and rectifying the issue. I consider it positive irrespective of brands.

Reliability is a very different topic altogether, if its trust worthy then i can understand. Say a manufacturer hiding the fault, and continuing without a recall is NOT trustworthy.
Old 24th February 2010, 18:28   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmol2k4 View Post
I find it very interesting that recalls by some automakers is considered a sign of trustworthiness and reliability, while for others it is considered a sign of poor quality control.
+100.
After going through the thread, I was feeling the same thing. As a manufacturer, you realise that there is a problem in your car, you keep mum. Then, your cars become death traps, still you keep mum. Then, people tell that there is a problem with the car, you deny it. Finally, with all the outcry, you are made to accept your mistake. I call it "cheating the consumer" rather than supreme example of trustworthiness and reliability. Please don't forget the fact that Toyota has been forced to accept their mistake!
For me, this is an alarming sign.
Old 24th February 2010, 20:02   #18
Senior - BHPian

The difference between Suzuki, Honda, Toyota and Ford recalls is that they have come out in public and said that their car has a problem and they are going to rectify it.

Whereas it takes a scoop master to find what things are going to be be fixed in a truck err car.
Old 24th February 2010, 23:46   #19
BHPian

It is really a positive thing that these manufacturers are openly coming out with their Problems. And recalls are not something new. Almost all manufacturers have done recalls. Awareness of cars are increasing recently so even the word RECALL is becoming very popular now . Eventhough Recall are made mostly for safety issues , sometimes recalls are also made for issues which the manufacturer feels that may affect the image or the company.Whatever we say initially the feedback comes from the customers and manufacturers start doing the investigation. And then try to find the cause of the concern. Depending on the problem the time taken to react of recall differes. These Recalls are good for the end user. Eventhough the regulations are very strickt in markets like US, Still manufacturers have taken the feedback for improving the quality. This is the first time based on feedback of the end users RECALLS had been announced. So the testing agency also should check their parameters. Maruti Announcing Recall on the A Star (100,000 Cars) and Few Altos in China is the last news of RECALL. Even Suzuki in India by the time they announced the recall had almost completed 50% recall . It doestnt mean that they were aware all these days and they hided the information. There is no Question of Honesty , hiding and cheating etc . TOYOTA & SUZUKI - They have done the best thing and their action only displays their comittment of their Customer satisfaction and Quality statement . These actions only will add a positive image to the Japanese products.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:29   #20
BHPian

this is amazing, a car manfacturer is forced to accept that they have sold faulty cars for 5-7 years and people here in India are saying it's sign of confidence. Japanese car makers have some brand loyalty in India or with Indian Diaspora wolrdwide. No wonder Honda and Toyota sell like hot cakes. I am one of them, but next time no way. As luck has it the other one I have is a Skoda.
Old 25th February 2010, 12:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
"Hyundai"

now dont bash me up for this,i havent heard of any recalls lately
Probably they sensed it and started recall on Sonata.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
For me, Suzuki-Toyota-Ford recall have increased confidence in them . The fact that they have identified the fault and have taken steps to prevent it. I am sure they will take measures to make sure that they will have better quality from now on!

Other brands haven’t recalled doesn’t mean that they are perfect and reliable.

Having said that at the moment, Hyundai looks reliable for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

In my opinion, these manufacturers like Toyota, Suzuki, Ford etc are merely reinforcing the fact that they are highly trustworthy and reliable brands, by initiating such a recall - it shows that they care about their consumers.

It is never easy to admit it when one has made a mistake - more often than not, it reduces to a blame game and/or self justification.

I think these moves by these brands which are held in high regard by consumers and have indeed inspired their trust, are a very mature set of decisions which are aimed ultimately at benefiting the consumers.
Let me point out here that : Toyota was forced to recall the cars BY LAW. (after numerous lawsuits and accidents). It was not a voluntary recall. It was initiated by the lawmakers and not the manufacturer.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Ford have started to recall Fiesta's to replace AC thermostats http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/ford-f...esta-in-india/

Last edited by shishir_bn : 25th February 2010 at 14:27.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:36   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Hindustan Motors ? When was the last time anyone heard of an Ambassador recall ?
See! Even the manufacturers of the Amby won't have it back. So what if the design is a little... Hideous!!
Old 25th February 2010, 15:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
See! Even the manufacturers of the Amby won't have it back. So what if the design is a little... Hideous!!
IMO it is not the question of design. Imagine if this car was not seen on the road and after 10-15 yuears it would have become a vintage car and people would have died to collect it. This is the same case of the old vintage cars. Do you think the design was excellent. I don't think so. The only reason it makes jaw drops for anyone is the fact that there are not cars left on the road and probably 2-3 cars in the whole state etc. So even Amby will also be a jaw drop after 10 years from now.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:55   #26
BHPian

The score (request all to pl help update this with time) -

The ones so far: Toyota, BMW, Honda, Suzuki (Maruti), Hyundai, Ford

Yet to join the list: Skoda, VW, Tata, Mahindra, GM, and others

Last edited by Dippy : 2nd March 2010 at 16:07. Reason: Lets not use inappropriate words like Baddies. Thanks.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:13   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
IMO it is not the question of design. Imagine if this car was not seen on the road and after 10-15 yuears it would have become a vintage car and people would have died to collect it. This is the same case of the old vintage cars. Do you think the design was excellent. I don't think so. The only reason it makes jaw drops for anyone is the fact that there are not cars left on the road and probably 2-3 cars in the whole state etc. So even Amby will also be a jaw drop after 10 years from now.
The audacity of HM is appalling. They continue to sell an a car manaufactured in 50 B.C. when we are talking of BS-IV standards.

Can the Amby become any more vintage, I ask you. And a Jaw-dropper at that, ugh! As one of the auto mags used to say, give the Amby a seat in the Rajya Sabha. Absolutely Bang-on!

It's a pity the car has lost its charm this way, since Our first family car was also an Amby. In spite of having a 1.8l engine plonked inside and being among the first cars in India to employ essentials like the Power Steering, somehow HM lost its way by the mid-90s, IMHO.
Old 25th February 2010, 16:26   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post
In spite of having a 1.8l engine plonked inside and being among the first cars in India to employ essentials like the Power Steering, somehow HM lost its way by the mid-90s, IMHO.
They lost on the race of technology/new designs/safety measures/new international companies etc etc
Old 25th February 2010, 16:59   #29
BHPian

Q: Any manufacturer not recalled their cars yet?

A: TATA baby. With scores of 10,000's of cabbies testing the car and pushing it to its limits day in and day out, I am sure the new gen car have all issues ironed out. In any case, it is easier and more pleasant to live with a TATA issue, than going to their service center to get something fixed.
Old 25th February 2010, 17:12   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculesksp View Post
Q: Any manufacturer not recalled their cars yet?

A: TATA baby. With scores of 10,000's of cabbies testing the car and pushing it to its limits day in and day out, I am sure the new gen car have all issues ironed out. In any case, it is easier and more pleasant to live with a TATA issue, than going to their service center to get something fixed.
The recall depends on several factors like how demanding is the market and how strong the law of the land is! But I cannot agree that TATA cars are without known defects. I'm not allowed to provide more details about this, but believe me, they never thought of a recall. They identified the problem and rectified it in subsequent iterations. But they never spent any time or effort rectifying it for the already sold cars!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks