Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 17:33   #31
BHPian

In my opinion the Brand that can be trusted is Mitsubishi Motors or in India it falls under the blanket of Hindustan Motors,

Although different people would have different opinion but at this same time one needs to understand that Build Quality as we call it is very important to customer.

The point is when a manufacturer decides to recall a car-the decision is not simple –nor do I believe that the problem is simple or small.

Recalling a car from market is a very important decision & a very vital factor for Brand name.

Spare part issue or service issue are minor problem than cannot be compare to a company who is recalling cars.

Recalling:That can only mean either design, planning, Implementation etc was not proper in the initial stage so company is performing recall in order to make it right.

But I also respect the decision of recall at the same time- as it is a tough decision to recall.The fact that also needs to be looked at what was the criticality of the problem for which recall is performed -in case of toyota & honda it is very critical problem & they have now spoiled big name in the regards to Product Quality.

But yes than also a company who has not performed any recall gains more positive the reason can be many low sales,niche market or any other point but the good name is still there.
Old 25th February 2010, 18:07   #32
BHPian

I will not say that a brand is not reliable since they made recalls. An automobile is an assembled product where a lot of parts from different vendors are assembled and sold. Agreed they have QC in place. But no manufacturer should be called unreliable because they made a recall once. It this repeats, then it is a different matter. But now, the case is not worse. In fact, it is a good thing that they are accepting that something is wrong and replacing them.
Old 3rd March 2010, 21:45   #33
BHPian

Welcome GM to the list (in the US, though). This is spreading like an epidemic!

General Motors recalling 1.3m vehicles over steering problems - International Business - Biz - The Times of India

Seriously, among carmakers who have some presence in India, looks like only Tata and Mahindra are left now (Not counting HM).
Old 4th March 2010, 12:10   #34
Senior - BHPian

2009/10 - Year of Recalls

It seems that 2009/10 (unfortunately) is the year of recalls, with every major manufacturer recalling their cars over one issue or other. This is appalling, especially after we were made to believe that quality standards has gone up by leaps & bounds over the past two decades.

Forecast : 2010/11 - Year of Repairs (Amends)

Hopefully they all can get the act better in near future.

But, one thing is sure - "is hamam mein sab nange hain".
Old 4th March 2010, 13:40   #35
Senior - BHPian

lol.
these cars which are in the recall list have been in the market for over 40 years and have been best sellers for a while.
do you people think that if a car that is being called for recall it means that the brand new cars will have problems?
they will rectify the problem first(if it existed in the first place) in the production level itself.
I really don't understand the big fuss these Americans are making with this recall issue.
Bloody Hippocrates.
Old 4th March 2010, 13:44   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Recall, in itself, is no bad thing: it means that a manufacturer s taking responsibility and looking after its customers.
Old 4th March 2010, 13:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Which is the Ford recall mentioned in this chain, if I am not wrong you are talking about the recall in 90's dont think Ford has got bad in any time during 2000's to call for a recall.
Old 4th March 2010, 13:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi413 View Post

Seriously, among carmakers who have some presence in India, looks like only Tata and Mahindra are left now (Not counting HM).
I seriously doubt if Tata or M&M would ever recall a car. In fact I do not think any company whether Indian or foreign has made a recall in India. I think basically it is a don't care attitude of the customer that these companies really release car even if it fails QC.

--Vikrant
Old 4th March 2010, 14:53   #39
BHPian

I Dont think anyone should be too alarmed about the recalls.

I guess most of these issues are design issues that are extremely complex to predict as defects in advance. Given all the complex technology going into cars these days and faster obsolesence as well, im sure product recalls will get more common. Many manufacturers are aware of the defects affecting their cars, and simply chose to ignore those defects becuase they probably affect less than 1% of the users. As a result, Its good to know that some Auto manufacturers like Honda, Toyota and Nissan are guarding their reputation and are even looking into minor matters with alot of care.

News links of recent global Auto Recalls:

Toyota: 2009?2010 Toyota vehicle recalls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nissan: Nissan Recall 2010 Another Recall Toyota Honda GM Issues | CNM News Network
Honda: Honda expands airbag inflation recall - Yahoo! News

Indian Auto Recalls:

1. Honda has recalled some of the city's. Allegedly because water can cause the power window system to "smoke up".

Honda India to recall 8,500 City cars - India Business - Biz - The Times of India

2. Maruti recalled the A star for a fuel tank related snag

Maruti recalls 1 lakh A-Stars for fuel tank snag - India Business - Biz - The Times of India

In India, atleast Honda and Suzuki are guarding their reputation for Quality. Can you say that indegenous manufactureres would ever look into recalling cars ???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks