Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 20:06   #1
BHPian

Amidst Suzuki-Toyota-Ford recalls, can we deem any brand as reliable & trouble free ?

Toyota could face criminal prosecution in US

Quote:
The Toyota crisis deepened further after the beleaguered carmaker admitted it had been subpoenaed by a federal grand jury, and a congressional committee accused it of misleading the public...
So can we really deem any particular car brand as trouble free ?
Old 23rd February 2010, 23:36   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I still do trust all the brands you have listed here more than Skoda. Ill wait for the day when Skoda becomes honest enough to recall their cars in India or atleast admit the faults.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd February 2010 at 23:37.
Old 24th February 2010, 07:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

I'm quite sure this recall in India is the tip of the iceberg. Most of the time companies pass on the blame on some pretext or the other to the customer for the fault and most ASC's are experts in this.

Lets see how many more companies do a recall.
Old 24th February 2010, 08:36   #4
Senior - BHPian

For me, Suzuki-Toyota-Ford recall have increased confidence in them . The fact that they have identified the fault and have taken steps to prevent it. I am sure they will take measures to make sure that they will have better quality from now on!

Other brands haven’t recalled doesn’t mean that they are perfect and reliable.

Having said that at the moment, Hyundai looks reliable for me
Old 24th February 2010, 08:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

"Hyundai"

now dont bash me up for this,i havent heard of any recalls lately
Old 24th February 2010, 09:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

All this hysteria happened when they started it or recalled it publicly. Imagine the situation when they would have instructed only the dealers/service stations about this and when you car goes to service they would have rectified this, what would have happened? No one would have had a small clue also. Recalls are happening all over from long time and since it is mechanical parts reliability depends on how we maintain and things like that. Any part can fail anytime and anywhere IMO
Old 24th February 2010, 09:13   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hindustan Motors ? When was the last time anyone heard of an Ambassador recall ?
Old 24th February 2010, 09:21   #8
BHPian

It is sound business sense & customer care to have such recalls.

To me, as a customer, it is reassuring to know that a manufacturer is willing to own up his mistake and correct it FOC.

Far better than what we, Indian customers, have been treated.

-lazy
Old 24th February 2010, 09:22   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Hindustan Motors ? When was the last time anyone heard of an Ambassador recall ?
+100 to this. Even today this car would have run like anything if parts were available over the counter. One of the best sturdy cars. IMO yiu didn't require any ABS or airbag in this car.You would feel so much secured.
Old 24th February 2010, 09:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post

Other brands haven’t recalled doesn’t mean that they are perfect and reliable.

Having said that at the moment, Hyundai looks reliable for me
Another Recall: Hyundai Motor halts 2011 US Sonata sales
Another Recall: Hyundai Motor halts 2011 US Sonata sales- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 24th February 2010, 10:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
"Hyundai"

now dont bash me up for this,i havent heard of any recalls lately
They have already done this recall in 2009.
Source :: Multiple Hyundai recalls for brake lamps and rust issues affect nearly 1M units — Autoblog
Old 24th February 2010, 10:41   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Reliability is a highly relative term - which largely is defined basis the consumer's own experience + his/her imbibed perception (imbibed from thought leaders whose opinion he/she respects.)

In my opinion, these manufacturers like Toyota, Suzuki, Ford etc are merely reinforcing the fact that they are highly trustworthy and reliable brands, by initiating such a recall - it shows that they care about their consumers.

It is never easy to admit it when one has made a mistake - more often than not, it reduces to a blame game and/or self justification.

I think these moves by these brands which are held in high regard by consumers and have indeed inspired their trust, are a very mature set of decisions which are aimed ultimately at benefiting the consumers.

Hence, lets not confuse this necessary business tactic on the part of the brands, with any aspersions on their quality standards. In a sense, their overall strategy is aimed at high levels of consumer satisfaction which in turn drives their sales engine.

Tactics such as these, initiated by them are brought on by internal dynamics in production/quality/ materials etc and as mentioned before, are aimed at bolstering their overall committment to sustained, continued, consumer satisfaction.

Just because one has been doing a job for ages and ages doesnt automatically guarantee ones infallibility in that job.

In the real world, practice doesnt always make perfect.
Old 24th February 2010, 11:34   #13
BHPian

What with all the recalls I guess it warrants its own forum
Old 24th February 2010, 11:36   #14
BHPian

Are we (Indian Consumer) going to get any advantage on this recall ? Most of the recall is happening in US.
Now we need a new definition for the word "Reliability".
Old 24th February 2010, 18:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In my opinion, these manufacturers like Toyota, Suzuki, Ford etc are merely reinforcing the fact that they are highly trustworthy and reliable brands, by initiating such a recall - it shows that they care about their consumers.

It is never easy to admit it when one has made a mistake - more often than not, it reduces to a blame game and/or self justification.

I think these moves by these brands which are held in high regard by consumers and have indeed inspired their trust, are a very mature set of decisions which are aimed ultimately at benefiting the consumers.

Hence, lets not confuse this necessary business tactic on the part of the brands, with any aspersions on their quality standards. In a sense, their overall strategy is aimed at high levels of consumer satisfaction which in turn drives their sales engine.

Lets see what were the prerequisite for Toyota's recalls (them admitting mistake) :-

• A whole decade, issue of sudden acceleration has been reported to have existed in Toyota vehicles going back to 1999, source 1, source 2.
  • Numerous accidents, many of which were fatal for their customers
  • Media outcry following accidents.
  • Lawsuits by customers, or relatives to deceased customers.
  • Request by United States government to fix the problem.
  • Congressional hearings
  • Allegations by Toyota's ex-attorney of destruction of evidence relating to issue in question by the company. According to the attorney, he have some corporate documents which prove that Toyota covered up evidence of safety problems. Toyota Motors filed lawsuit against the attorney, blocking him from disclosing the documents. But the United States government have intervened and overruled the court decision, now to ex attorney will show the documents and other evidence in the ongoing congressional hearings. (source 1, source 2)

I find it very interesting that recalls by some automakers is considered a sign of trustworthiness and reliability, while for others it is considered a sign of poor quality control.

Last edited by anmol2k4 : 24th February 2010 at 18:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks