Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 00:50   #1
BHPian

VW Polo Diesel = Polo Bluemotion everywhere else?

Not sure of most of you lads know this, but the 1.2 L CRD engine in the Polo is sold as the "Polo Bluemotion" everywhere else

Essentially, a knee jerk reaction to the Japanese hybrid initiatives, the Germans added a bunch of comparitively simple yet ignored changes to an otherwise normal internal combustion engine (and then let the marketing guys take over) Changes such as :

- a gearchange indicator with optimised gear ratios
- optimised aerodynamics including a lower ride height and blanked air ducts
- start stop system + regenerative braking that recharges the battery on over-run ( also known as Micro Hybrid here in India)
- low-rolling resistance tyres

Now, because of cost cutting measures and the typical "new entrant not taking India seriously" syndrome, most of these have not made it into the India spec Polo Diesel. That's really sad since all but the aero tweaks would really work wonders in our congested conditions.

The good news is those tweaks only add up to around 15% improvements in FE. What's really exciting is that the Polo Bluemotion is rated at 81+ mpg. Reduce 15% and that gives you around ~70 miles per gallon. For reference, the Toyota Prius is rated at 60 mpg (or 15 km/l as tested by ACI).

I'm hoping we see figures in excess of what Fiat's 1.3MJD engine has been delivering. I'm also hoping VW includes these omitted FE improvements asap and pair them to the 1.2 TSI petrol as well!
Old 25th February 2010, 00:57   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
That's really sad since all but the aero tweaks would really work wonders in our congested conditions.
ummm, how? in traffic the car probably wont even move fast enough for the aero tweaks to make a difference. and the lower ride height would mean more speedbreaker scrapes.
Old 25th February 2010, 02:20   #3
BHPian

Start stop will be boon in B2B traffic. Most of the time engine can be on STOP mode!
Old 25th February 2010, 02:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

No ARAI numbers released for this yet but I am betting that it will break the 20 kmpl barrier for sure.
Old 25th February 2010, 08:43   #5
BHPian

The other features of the Bluemotion are mostly tailored for driving on civilized roads. Aero aids only make a difference at higher speeds. And from what I've seen, most Indian drivers don't need a gear-change indicator... in fact most change up so early they never use more than 30% of the peak power of the engine.

VW has customized its cars for India by making them cheap. Yes, above all, the average Indian car buyer wants a cheap car.

And if the 1.2 TSI were to come to India, I don't want to see any 'FE improvements' on it. "Optimized gear ratios" will only make it slower. "Blanked air ducts" will starve the engine of oxygen... The FE fanatics have the small diesel's to make them happy... At least let the powerful petrols be un-diluted.
Old 25th February 2010, 09:03   #6
BHPian

You have to be kidding. The aero tweaks only work at high speeds as air resistance increases at the power of 4 with speed.
Start-stop would help, but it comes at an additional cost that many will not want to pay for.
Obviously VW is taking the Indian market very seriously - to the tune of 3200 crores!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
Not sure of most of you lads know this, but the 1.2 L CRD engine in the Polo is sold as the "Polo Bluemotion" everywhere else

Essentially, a knee jerk reaction to the Japanese hybrid initiatives, the Germans added a bunch of comparitively simple yet ignored changes to an otherwise normal internal combustion engine (and then let the marketing guys take over) Changes such as :

- a gearchange indicator with optimised gear ratios
- optimised aerodynamics including a lower ride height and blanked air ducts
- start stop system + regenerative braking that recharges the battery on over-run ( also known as Micro Hybrid here in India)
- low-rolling resistance tyres

Now, because of cost cutting measures and the typical "new entrant not taking India seriously" syndrome, most of these have not made it into the India spec Polo Diesel. That's really sad since all but the aero tweaks would really work wonders in our congested conditions.

The good news is those tweaks only add up to around 15% improvements in FE. What's really exciting is that the Polo Bluemotion is rated at 81+ mpg. Reduce 15% and that gives you around ~70 miles per gallon. For reference, the Toyota Prius is rated at 60 mpg (or 15 km/l as tested by ACI).

I'm hoping we see figures in excess of what Fiat's 1.3MJD engine has been delivering. I'm also hoping VW includes these omitted FE improvements asap and pair them to the 1.2 TSI petrol as well!
Old 25th February 2010, 09:47   #7
BHPian

I am not sure what the complaint is all about VW is giving its latest engine and they have tweaked the car to meet indian driving conditions and have tried to keep cost under control for Indian buyers .
Old 25th February 2010, 10:16   #8
BHPian

Read people!

I know lowered ride height wont help. That's why I stated it in my original post.

The other pieces of tech DO help. But theyve been omitted for cost reasons.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:21   #9
BHPian

Internationally, the bluemotion engine has been given a thumbs-down by almost all reviewers as far as drive quality is concerned. It's dull and induces 'creative yawns' (as per TopGear).

Only the impressive mileage figures saves the day for it. Also the low emissions for the environmentally-concerned.
Old 25th February 2010, 11:38   #10
BHPian

VW POLO prices revealed today. I got an email form ABRA motors, Chennai and attached is the price list.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo Diesel = Polo Bluemotion everywhere else?-polo-pricelist.jpg  

Most Viewed