Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2005, 22:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

maybe but the quality differs and even a child can say maruti uses lighter metal.
Old 20th September 2005, 22:56   #17
BANNED

dude opels body is soo hard..youll cant imagine...1 rickshaw came and banged into my car before i did stuff to it...the bang was sooo hard...before this car ive had smal bangs with scorpio indica honda...when driver driving or some friend or myself...trust me dude i got scared...i got down thinking im screwed...coz i had banged my v-tec once...like this only...(fortunately only the body was affected.)i got down saw 1 VERY SMALL DENT ..headlight broken and few scratches on the bumper...
Old 20th September 2005, 22:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

yes but then the Euro spec astra must be having the airbags too. does yours have one?

and we still pay more than they do. Hope u get my point.
Old 21st September 2005, 01:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Although I don't agree that more metal equals more safety but I do agree that more metal does give that heavy, built to last feel that is really addictive.
I don't know where this statement originated from, "more metal is not more safety". More metal definitely means safer when comparing two cars with *similar* design. A side impact beam will definitely have more usage from safety perspective than just thick sheet metal on door. But at the same time, a car having thicker side impact beam will definitely survive better than the one with lesser metal. If one far fetches this scenario, one can easily realize why a small car doesn't stand a chance against SUV like Safari in case of collision.
Old 21st September 2005, 07:48   #20
BHPian

How many of You

While discussion on Safety,

How many of you actually consously decided to go for a safer car - ( car with a measured higher safety rating say NCAp 3 and above)
Or the option of ABS /EBD etc.

Not just feeling safe at 120 kmph and all.
Old 21st September 2005, 08:30   #21
BHPian

umm

Atleast i went for the swift zxi cos i wanted the ABS+Airbags though many of my frnds were of the opinion that i wasted 50K.

For some ppl the logic is simple, we have been driving and sittin in cars for so many years now without seatbelts and airbags. whats the big deal and why make a big fuss. Also there is a perception that if u r driving in the city, ur airbags wont be much of use.

But hey, things are changing and ppl are getting more reckless while driving and the no of vehicles are increasing in geometric proportions. U never know when those safety features are gonna be ur saviours.

Coming back to safety, shudnt the govt also take initiative in having quality roads with proper road planning. I find that proper planning of roads also can make lives easy for the vehicles.

We know how our system is filled with filth and ppl with selfish motives.

Lemme not start whining now..

Hurry Home

Last edited by muni : 21st September 2005 at 08:32.
Old 21st September 2005, 10:44   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
I don't know where this statement originated from, "more metal is not more safety". More metal definitely means safer when comparing two cars with *similar* design. A side impact beam will definitely have more usage from safety perspective than just thick sheet metal on door. But at the same time, a car having thicker side impact beam will definitely survive better than the one with lesser metal. If one far fetches this scenario, one can easily realize why a small car doesn't stand a chance against SUV like Safari in case of collision.
Even I was under the impression that more metal thickness is more safety. But while discussing with a cheif mechanic, he was telling me it's actually the other way around. But he failed to explain me the logic.

He was telling if the metal is of lesser thickness the force would be absorbed by the crash to certain extent in the front portion & the damages would be minimal. (My question is what would happen if the crash does not stop to minimal extent)

If the metal is of more thickness and doesn't give way by crashing to certain extent to absorb the impact, the bang would be heavy and causes more injury for the passengers by hitting themselves against the strong metal.

My heart never accepted to this fact. Also I had raised this in a seperate thread earlier.
Old 21st September 2005, 11:08   #23
Senior - BHPian

The concept here is about letting others know the real truth.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 21st September 2005 at 11:09.
Old 21st September 2005, 12:38   #24
BHPian

Even I went for Swift ZXi for the safety reasons! Was thinking of high end Getz which comes with ABS but not airbags and in the mean time Swift was launched and I went for it.

For me having Airbags is like having a accident insurance. You pay the premium every year and hope that you will never have the accident. So both are same but the Airbags will come into action much before the insurance amount :-)

And Maruti though whatever they have done before with the launch of Swift with all such safety equipment is raising the bar. Once people get exposed to these stuff and get the indirect awareness of these things will start thinking about safety sooner than later. I hope things will change now on, slowly but surely in right direction.

Selective
Old 21st September 2005, 14:33   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey

I think you should have gone for opel corsa lmited edition. It would have costed you less than Swift with abs and Getz with abs. Teh opel corsa limited edition costs 4.50 lcs on road now. It got ABS and other Snypro safety (Worlds best safety stardards.).

Just a advice.
Old 21st September 2005, 14:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

RX135 you are right more metal doesnt mean more safety. If metal body is made in such a kind that it canot take impact on it then there is no use of heavy metal. The impact always go on lighter/softer things. So meatl should take impact too.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 21st September 2005 at 14:54.
Old 21st September 2005, 14:49   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
Hey

I think you should have gone for opel corsa lmited edition. It would have costed you less than Swift with abs and Getz with abs. Teh opel corsa limited edition costs 4.50 lcs on road now. It got ABS and other Snypro safety (Worlds best safety stardards.).

Just a advice.
Well, if you are suggesting this to me then, it is too late. I have Swift ZXi already in my garage :-) Just kidding. Well I never considered Corsa as I am thinking to leave the car with parents after 2 years where you will find only Maruti or Hyundai service stations.

Selective
Old 21st September 2005, 17:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Even I was under the impression that more metal thickness is more safety. But while discussing with a cheif mechanic, he was telling me it's actually the other way around. But he failed to explain me the logic.

He was telling if the metal is of lesser thickness the force would be absorbed by the crash to certain extent in the front portion & the damages would be minimal. (My question is what would happen if the crash does not stop to minimal extent).
Though it may sound as if I am contradicting to my earlier statement. He was not wrong in saying it, but it has to be understood in right context. There are crumple zones on every car. These are designed to collapse in case of crash. Every solid goes through elastic and plastic deformation. Elastic deformation stores engery of impact and releases back. Plastic deformation absorbs the energy, till it breaks down. During fracture, the energy is released again. So, if you absorb impact energy before it reaches passanger cabin, it will not hurt passangers. This is the logic behind crumple zone.

However, it does not mean you should have everything falling apart in case of crash. And it would depend on metal, how much energy it can absorb. Blindly saying "less metal is safer" is equally wrong. Car manufacturers (well, most of them) are not generous to add on material even when not required, especially when they know that it would affect FE.
Old 21st September 2005, 17:43   #29
Senior - BHPian

Selective then it is a nice choice coz GM dealer here give a lot of problems. His staff changes after every 2 -3 months and dealer frankly doesnt know anythign about the car. They dont have good after sales service.
Old 21st September 2005, 17:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ya you are right RX135. I agree. Though recently i heared that Suzuki is developing Something to put between their car doors. Which is very light and have tensile strength too.

Though i suggest indian govt that the qulity of sheet they use should atleast be the ones used in ford.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks