Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2005, 21:24   #31
Senior - BHPian

since when did the corsa have ABs? never heard of this before.
Old 22nd September 2005, 00:29   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
Atleast i went for the swift zxi cos i wanted the ABS+Airbags though many of my frnds were of the opinion that i wasted 50K.
Excellent choice there muni .... I am sure your friends are going to learn and they are not the only one ,there are millions who think that way and the fact is that if you try to tell them the importance of these safety features , the funniest thing what you here is "Chod na yaar jab likha hoga tab mar jayenge". More or less a dailogue from the movie called Anand (Babumoshaye.......

I mean just to save few bucks here n there ,they ignore such features and take the casual attitude towards their own life .
Now the thing is why do we indians always want to learn things the hard way .Its hard for us(Team-bhpians) to understand that why most of our country people always fail to accept the simple fact that "prevention is always better than cure" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
For some ppl the logic is simple, we have been driving and sittin in cars for so many years now without seatbelts and airbags. whats the big deal and why make a big fuss. Also there is a perception that if u r driving in the city, ur airbags wont be much of use.
I second you and it shows people's mentality and knowledge about cars .

[quote=muni]
U never know when those safety features are gonna be ur saviours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by selective
For me having Airbags is like having a accident insurance. You pay the premium every year and hope that you will never have the accident. So both are same but the Airbags will come into action much before the insurance amount :-)
Yup i ve experienced this , i am alive its mainly coz of those airbags and the solid built .

Quote:
Originally Posted by selective
will start thinking about safety sooner than later.
I hope things will change now on, slowly but surely in right direction.
Yup , it has to happen sooner than later , these safety features are here to stay and we can't ignore them for long .
Old 22nd September 2005, 08:43   #33
BHPian

Explanantion - Body thickness - Laymens terms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise
Even I was under the impression that more metal thickness is more safety. But while discussing with a cheif mechanic, he was telling me it's actually the other way around. But he failed to explain me the logic.

He was telling if the metal is of lesser thickness the force would be absorbed by the crash to certain extent in the front portion & the damages would be minimal. (My question is what would happen if the crash does not stop to minimal extent)

If the metal is of more thickness and doesn't give way by crashing to certain extent to absorb the impact, the bang would be heavy and causes more injury for the passengers by hitting themselves against the strong metal.

My heart never accepted to this fact. Also I had raised this in a seperate thread earlier.
Dear Surprise,

Let me explain the concept of thsi in simpler terms. Concider one old car say our dear old amby and new car say honda city of opel optra .

Now consider two tennis baxxxlls. Only these are not normal tennis baxxxlls. let say one is made up of say stenless steel for hardness , shine etc and other is made up of clay /Mud .No shine and polish on this one.

Now drop them from say one meter height to ground. Imagine them hitting the ground. What do you imagine what would happen.

1, The stainless stell ball will bounce off the ground and roll away over a long distance. In all probabbility it's size will not change.

2. The mud ball will land with a thud . Deform change it's shape at the point of impcat may be break into two but stay at the location.

Now imagine the stainleess as older generation ( read thick and heavy metal cars) and mud as new genration ( read cars with crumple zone and being dented easily)

What type of car you will be more safe in.

Stainless steel ball - where if u were inside u will be tossed ten times rollover and feel every bounce

Mud- where once u are hit you will not feel the effect much a the energy is absorbed by the mud.

Guys that is the simplified logic- The cruple zones and metal provide actual energy absorbent features and lot of design input goes into it. The actuall protection inside newer crs in case of impact is by using additional reinforcement bars not the body shell.

I hope that was clear.

Last edited by pranil : 22nd September 2005 at 08:44.
Old 22nd September 2005, 09:16   #34
BHPian

yeah

@pranil: that was the simplest way you could explain them.

The present day car manufacturers have a lot of analysis tools with tonnes of info feedback at their disposal. They can analyse the forces/stress/loads that a car/vehicle is subjected to on collissions and design the cars accordingly.

The collision again has a lot of parameteres attached to it. Speed of ur vehicle and the other vehicle ( the vehicle or object can be stationary also). The angle of impact, the size of the colliding vehicle , the weight of vehicle and lots of factors.

So while designing a car, the manufacturers have to strike a balance between howmuch they can offer as safety and the costs that they are gonna incur. The more costly the car, the more freedom they have to design a safer car using state of the art materials that perform well during impacts.

ABS/Airbags/Traction control are all safety features to ensure u stand a better chance with lesser injuries.

The present euro Safety regulations call for pedestrian safety on collisions and many of the modern cars fail to meet its recommendation.

Lots of things are driven by money and lack of awareness.

Hurry Home

Last edited by muni : 22nd September 2005 at 09:19.
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:22   #35
Senior - BHPian

coming to the debate of "more the metal more the safety" the classic examples which come to mind are Tata Indica and Tata Sumo. Inside these cars you feel very safe, but actually they are not..
Old 22nd September 2005, 12:37   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
coming to the debate of "more the metal more the safety" the classic examples which come to mind are Tata Indica and Tata Sumo. Inside these cars you feel very safe, but actually they are not..
More metal with properly engineered crumple zones will actually be more safer IMHO. And btw, the Indica is far safer than an M800.
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
More metal with properly engineered crumple zones will actually be more safer IMHO. And btw, the Indica is far safer than an M800.
But I have seen more thuki piti indica than Maruti 800 at lest in Delhi ,which has more no of vehicle than all metros combined
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:05   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo
But I have seen more thuki piti indica than Maruti 800 at lest in Delhi ,which has more no of vehicle than all metros combined
Thuki piti is fine yaar. As long as the occupants are not thuki piti and dead.
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:15   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thuki piti is fine yaar. As long as the occupants are not thuki piti and dead.
ha ha ha ha but have u thought why it is so. Why we find indica more damaged? Drivers must be careless (mind set of taxi wala type)
Old 22nd September 2005, 13:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo
ha ha ha ha but have u thought why it is so. Why we find indica more damaged? Drivers must be careless (mind set of taxi wala type)
Haan yaar. If you think you have a tough car, you will trash it around. If you are driving a tin can you will be a bit more careful. But if the real big crash happens, and you are in the tin can, then God save you. That being said cars like the Alto though lighter than an Indica may have a better safety rating. Still, given the same safety features, I will prefer to have a heavier car.
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:11   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Haan yaar. If you think you have a tough car, you will trash it around. If you are driving a tin can you will be a bit more careful. But if the real big crash happens, and you are in the tin can, then God save you. That being said cars like the Alto though lighter than an Indica may have a better safety rating. Still, given the same safety features, I will prefer to have a heavier car.
It is all depends upon the driver. I had Zen for 5 and 1/2 years and run it for more than 80K and u will be surprised to know that I did not get even a single screatch and hence enjoying 50% NCB. Now I have Baleno done 2K in one month time. So bottom line is that u can not avoid accident unless and untill u r carefull. so u should be carefull whether u drive heavier car or tin can.

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 22nd September 2005 at 14:14.
Old 22nd September 2005, 14:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
And this is another classic example of false propaganda. Indica is not just heavy, but it also has well designed safety features like crumple zones, collapsible steering and side impact beams. The cab design is carefully done and is similar to Palio. Indica not just feels safer, but it actually is safer.
Old 22nd September 2005, 19:20   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
And this is another classic example of false propaganda. Indica is not just heavy, but it also has well designed safety features like crumple zones, collapsible steering and side impact beams. The cab design is carefully done and is similar to Palio. Indica not just feels safer, but it actually is safer.
I second Rx's opinion.... The indica is vehicle with a strong built... Take a look at one of the Indicas which was reduced to half its size due to an accident in the "Travel & Experiences: thread... You will know what I'm talking about....

The Indica is one of THE safest cars on road, sans airbags and abs...
Old 23rd September 2005, 20:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Man my friend only bought corsa just becauise of these three features which he was not getting in ford ikon flair.

1. ABS (He bought the car nov 2003)
2. 32 Bit computer and snypor safety
3. A 88 ps engine.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
since when did the corsa have ABs? never heard of this before.
Old 2nd October 2005, 05:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

I still dont know if corsa has ever had abs.

btw how about listing some cars that have

1. good and strong body.
2. Abs
3. airbags.
4. are bs3 comliant.

this will help new car buyers a lot.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed