Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2005, 09:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I still dont know if corsa has ever had abs.

btw how about listing some cars that have

1. good and strong body.
2. Abs
3. airbags.
4. are bs3 comliant.

this will help new car buyers a lot.

1. Swift ZXi
2. Swift Zxi
3. Swift Zxi
Old 2nd October 2005, 18:34   #47
BHPian

Swift no doubt is a welcome change for the Tin clad gang. A car that is engineered for occupant as well as pedestrian safety.

One of the points that all of us may have overlooked is the weight and height of the vehicle.

Weight = Inertia which would also mean greater impact on collision and more breaking power required. There are two scenarios here
(i) If the collision happens with a lighter vehicle, the impact would be transferred to the other vehicle.
(ii) If the collision happens with a heavier vehicle, or something which will not budge consider a pillar, the impact would be born by the vehicle you travel in. {Something that will remind you of Lady Diana's accident}

Height = High center of gravity which will affect vehicle stability and have high risk off roll.

I have seen Qualis roll because an Esteem hit it on the front in perpendicular direction. Why did it roll...high center of gravity.

Safety is not a just a coefficient of high tensile sheet or having crumple zones. All manufacturers follow different verticals to ensure passenger safety. Some Examples:

- Volvo for instance uses sheer body strength coupled with multiple air bag and all with crumple zones to protect passengers.
- Japanese use low weight, high crumple zones great braking power because of the low inertia to protect passenger. But remember..faster your car stops quicker would the following vehicle RAM into you...chuckle..chuckle.

In passenger safety you have to look at the options that are available to you while buying a car and what convinces you best. Remember the following:

1. A low slung Car/SUV would be more stable, will have shorter stopping distance.
2. More rubber equates to lower fuel efficiency but will be your only hope in an emergency.
3. Seat belts are no show pieces. Its widely known that Queen Diana would have a high survival chance if she would have been wearing a seat belt.
4. Most top end vehicles have a combination of all the things that we have discussed on this thread.
5. Its we who have the reins of the industry in our hands. Our demand for the right level of safety standards would drive manufacturers towards making them available.
Old 2nd October 2005, 20:25   #48
BHPian

i wish ther is an active body of teambhp or anything like our's which could directly put these points in front of car manufactuers companies do have r&d and stuff but y not activity from our group
Old 4th October 2005, 15:49   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay
I second Rx's opinion.... The indica is vehicle with a strong built... Take a look at one of the Indicas which was reduced to half its size due to an accident in the "Travel & Experiences: thread... You will know what I'm talking about....

The Indica is one of THE safest cars on road, sans airbags and abs...
is it possible to fit ABS on any vehicle....? wish we can have it optional in any car that we have.
Old 4th October 2005, 22:53   #50
Senior - BHPian

I worship volvo when it comes to cars. Better than Mercedes and equal to beemers when it comest o engineering and reliability.

"we spent 25 years on the seats alone-Volvo" read this in the management book by philip kotler and gary armstrong
Old 4th October 2005, 23:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
is it possible to fit ABS on any vehicle....? wish we can have it optional in any car that we have.
Its not possible to retrofit ABS atleast in India! In america its a hot aftermarket!

Quote:
I still dont know if corsa has ever had abs.
It never has had ABS and will never also!

Quote:
btw how about listing some cars that have

1. good and strong body.
2. Abs
3. airbags.
4. are bs3 comliant.

this will help new car buyers a lot
1. Optra 1.8LT
2. Swift Zxi
3. Skoda Octavia L n K and Petrol(all versions have ABS and airbags as standard)
4. Tata Safari DICOR Vx 4 x 4
Old 4th October 2005, 23:06   #52
Senior - BHPian

wow!!!

only four cars in the whole country?????

wheewww!!!
Old 7th October 2005, 03:22   #53
BHPian

I would like to add few more in the list ....

Chevrolet Forester
Ford mondeo
Sonata Embera
Terracan
Tucson
Skoda superb
and all the Merc models .

I think these all cars (more or less) have a good built , airbags and ABS .... But no matter what IMO the only indian car maker that comes close to Merc in terms of Built Quality is
Skoda .... Marvelous build quality for more than half the price of a merc .
Old 7th October 2005, 03:26   #54
Senior - BHPian

ok a normal person wont buy anything above 14 at max so I think we should rule out skoda superb
merc's
beemers
audi's
terracan &
camry
Old 7th October 2005, 10:58   #55
Senior - BHPian

You forgot one Car people....

NISSAN X-Trail
Old 7th October 2005, 11:27   #56
Team-BHP Support

Agree with you RX. After my accident i am doubly sure thats its not just metal which gives protection but crumple zones too. If you go to TATA indigo website they claim that the indigo/indica is crash tested at the only in house crash facility in India. Also for indica to sell in UK it would need to meet some crash fitness standards.
As for the Hyundai and Hondas and marutis, i am sure the elantra and the Swift are crash worth(american and European markets being the cause) but the accents, santros, Zens etc., are actually flimsy and very very unsafe. The santro which collided with me did one complete roll, though the speed was 50-60kmph. Not only that the Car also folded(the side impact beams did not do much) and if there had been somebody in the passenger seat that person would have been seriously injured!
Old 7th October 2005, 12:48   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
camry
I dont think so Camry can be in that list! - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showpo...0&postcount=17

Japs are not so safe!

I think under 14Lacs its:--
Optra LT
Tucson
Swift Zxi
Tata Safari VX
Skoda Octavias!

Quote:
ABS (He bought the car nov 2003)
Corsa never ever came with ABS! How did he get it! its not possible!
Old 8th October 2005, 01:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
If you go to TATA indigo website they claim that the indigo/indica is crash tested at the only in house crash facility in India.
Not only that the Car also folded(the side impact beams did not do much) and if there had been somebody in the passenger seat that person would have been seriously injured!
Part on crash testing should be quite true, because one of my batchmates, who worked on Indica project, used to claim often that they are crashtesting indica.

And although it would sound preposterous to say based on just one incident, your car accident also hints that having side impact beam doesn't mean car is safe.
Old 25th April 2006, 12:10   #59
BHPian

How to Improve Safety - Baleno/NHC

Hi,

Most of us know the two cars rock(for different reasons though!).
Only concern is about the safety.
Neither of these cars score high on driver/passenger safety.
What do you think can be done to improve the driver/passenger safety in Baleno/NHC?

One thing I can think of is to upgrade to wider rubber like 195s.
This will improve high speed stability as well as braking.
What else do you think can be done?

Send in your expert suggesions...

From the support team: Please use 'search' function before starting a new thread.

Thread merged

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 25th April 2006 at 12:21.
Old 25th April 2006, 12:13   #60
BHPian

Baleno behaves exceptionally good with broader tyres and mags.

Sumit
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks