Team-BHP - Pay and park in Bangalore/Any other indian city
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Pay and park in Bangalore/Any other indian city (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/76293-pay-park-bangalore-any-other-indian-city.html)

The evening before the last one I had to take a relative along with my family to the Whitefield Forum mall. The parking is ample and was greeted at the gates by the ever helpful ticket boy who was prompt enough to hand me over my ticket and I drove in. Now all over the place inside they have put up big blue boards announcing that "Parking at owners risk" or "Management not responsible for ...". Which got me thinking that such a disclaimer suits well for a free parking like in my office or some smaller malls. But when I pay to park does those disclaimers make any sense at all ?

In other countries there are pay and park places but I cannot remember such a sign whereas all free parkings had the disclaimers written in such bold fonts that a born blind will also fail to miss.Yesterday, I found that some more prominent malls across Bangalore also have those disclaimers put up. Is it the general lawful/sentient practice across India ? If yes then I am clearly missing something here.

@MODS: Wanted to post this in street experiences but somehow felt it was not the right place. This is about parking not 'road' related. Please feel free to move this to the correct forum if this is not the place.

Frankly speaking when these malls were constructed there was no parking charges. Then after the business starts these goondas or parking contractors talk to the mall management and then take these job. They will give some commission and some tender will be called and this is given to the contractor. This is another way to make money for the malls. But the boards are for THEIR safety. Anyone can bring a duplicate copy and key and take the vehicle and they will have to pay. So to avoid the risk they put up these. When the vehicle theft happens and when you ask them the answer would be " the boards are real and we are charging you as the rent for the no. of hours you keep the vehicle inside the premises" I have asked this and they have told the same answer. Only in bustands and Railway station the contractors are liable to vehicle thefts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishir_bn (Post 1753522)
Only in bustands and Railway station the contractors are liable to vehicle thefts.

WOW, this is a news to me; frankly yes, you're right, I haven't seen such a board in those places. So what're they liable for? In aiding in identifying who stole it or simply help to file FIR or anything in specific? I don't think they'll be liable to recover the vehicle as such.

@aargee, You are bang on target. I wanted someone to ask this question. They are not liable to the give the vehicle cost but they help in FIR and identification process. In todays time even that much is enough. But the fact is till date I have not come across people who said their vehicle was lost in when they parked in those 2 places atleast in Bangalore.

Writing that on the parking lot doesn't mean they are not responsible, if you go to the court then they are not going to let them go because they had a board written parking on owners risk. It doesn't mean a thing.

My 2 paise, dont keep the parking token in the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishir_bn (Post 1753554)
@aargee, You are bang on target. I wanted someone to ask this question. They are not liable to the give the vehicle cost but they help in FIR and identification process. In todays time even that much is enough. But the fact is till date I have not come across people who said their vehicle was lost in when they parked in those 2 places atleast in Bangalore.

@ All : In Gurgaon it has always been like this, there was never a free parking in any of these malls in Gurgaon / delhi / noida. Moreover behind every parking sticker you can clearly see mentioned that "Parking is at owner's risk"

Though on the other hand i remember a ruling by a high court where in a car was stolen from a parking & parking owner denied any claim, to which court said if it is on owner's risk what is the fees for & fined the parking owner.

I thought they charge for the rental of space occupied, not to secure your vehicle. Imagine the rental they can collect if the same area was used for an office.

It is there everywhere -parking at owners risk.!
couple of years back, when I asked clarification with the attendent who was there on the spot collecting the money and giving the ticket, he just laughed and said 'the charge they are collecting is for the rent of the space one use for parking his/her car, but legally they are not bound to see the safety of your car!

what can one say to this? I was worried that he may give another ticket for the space where I was standing and talking to him?:Frustrati

Forget the malls, my office which is a Prestige property has the same boards in the parking lot. We don't pay to park but seeing such boards is a little awkward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt_bhp (Post 1753923)
Forget the malls, my office which is a Prestige property has the same boards in the parking lot. We don't pay to park but seeing such boards is a little awkward.

But outside the building they charge you for keeping the vehicles in prestige tech park and that they call it as rental charge and they are not liable for anything that happens to your vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishir_bn (Post 1753554)

C'mon Shishir, FIR is a child's play (atleast in Chennai), they even give you a copy of FIR filed & that too in an hour or so; In that way I don't need their help; identifying the vehicle, who cares more to identify the vehicle, the who's working or the owner who has lost?

Anyway, one good news that I hear is "less or no vehicle lost" parked in those 2 places are making me :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirWind (Post 1753881)
My 2 paise, dont keep the parking token in the car.

Sorry Airwind, I couldn't get your point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1754074)

If somebody flicks your car, the security fellows will not allow the car to get out of the building if there is no token.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aargee (Post 1754074)

He meant, if the token is inside the car the thief can enter inside and then show the ticket and leave the place. But the point is who will see if the ticket given while going out matches the car number or matches the same owner who has taken it as it doesn't have any photo in it except the car number. By the way even I didn't understand what he wanted to say

Hey guys speaking of parking in Bangalore. The parallel parking on MG Road and India Garage road are supposed to be FREE, right? I mean, you find parking touts there who appear to be good samaritans as they assist you in parking but then demand for $$. We should insist on a ticket in such cases. Flip side is that they may scratch your car when you are not there! Its high time they build a multi level car park in that part of the city. I mean, on weekends, its a pain in the rear to park the car there. And don't even get me started on Church Street. Parking sure is a luxury today.