Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 20:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Just called a Honda dealer here and asked him about the price hike. He told me the hike was effective immediately and that new prices would come in by tomorrow. Can this be some how confirmed? I was thinking they might delay this till 1st April as a March offer.
Old 26th February 2010, 21:11   #32
BHPian

AFAIK the prices wil increase with immediate effect.

i guess everything increases with immediate effect but decreases only in april
Old 26th February 2010, 21:33   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car-dent View Post
AFAIK the prices wil increase with immediate effect.

i guess everything increases with immediate effect but decreases only in april

The increase in excise duties is for the new financial year (announced as a part of budget for next financial year). Unless the govt issues the notification to the effect, the new excise rates are no applicable.

but always there is a confusion and us-suspecting aam aadmi (common man) is taken for a ride.
Old 26th February 2010, 22:01   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Well justified (i am a diesel swift owner) as long as you can suggest a method by which the govt can tax diesel car owners and not the trucks...

Drive on!!
Shibu.
Yes, there is a way to do that

Just levy a flat tax of 1 lacs (or some percentage, say 10%) on all new diesel cars brought. Infact if I recall correctly, this proposal is already being discussed. Since you cannot have different diesel rates for cars and trucks, this could be the only way out. I hope this is implemented. Its insane that a poor man pays more tax for his scooter's petrol than a BMW owner pays for his diesel!
Old 26th February 2010, 22:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Yes, there is a way to do that

Just levy a flat tax of 1 lacs (or some percentage, say 10%) on all new diesel cars brought. Infact if I recall correctly, this proposal is already being discussed. Since you cannot have different diesel rates for cars and trucks, this could be the only way out. I hope this is implemented. Its insane that a poor man pays more tax for his scooter's petrol than a BMW owner pays for his diesel!
Yep this was exactly what was proposed by the Parikh committee Parikh's flat tax deflates diesel car makers' plans

They propose a tax of Rs 80000 on all diesel cars. One tax for all cars may not be the best idea however and a percentage of the car price sounds like a better idea. For example an extra tax of 5-10% can be imposed on all diesel cars. Fuel subsidy has to be eliminated in the long term and currently it is diesel which is the most subsidised
Old 27th February 2010, 01:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
this news report updated at 15:35 in ET says small cars are spared,
though earlier reports said all cars will see an increase in duty.

Union Budget 2010: Excise duty on large cars up two per cent, small cars spared- Union Budget-News-The Economic Times

even the official Indian Finance Ministry site talks only about the hike of 2% for big cars

Government of India : Union Budget and Economic Survey (http://indiabudget.nic.in)

Which all cars got spared? Is it cars with 1.2L or smaller engine?
Any notification on the same available?

Last edited by sunil8089 : 27th February 2010 at 01:49.
Old 27th February 2010, 10:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

My article just got published on bangaloremirror.com on page 9
Old 27th February 2010, 14:25   #38
BHPian

FIAT India price Increase

FIAT India Press Release

Mumbai, 26 February 2009: With the increase in excise duty as passed in the Union Budget 2010 – 11, Fiat India today announced a revised pricing for its product line. With this announcement, Fiat products, namely, the Palio, the Grande Punto and the Linea will witness an increase in price ranging between Rs. 7000 – 15500. The change in pricing will be applicable with immediate effect.

Speaking on the increase, a company spokesperson said,” The decision to revise the prices of the Fiat Palio, Grande Punto and Linea is a direct result of the excise duty increase as announced in the Union budget today. Owing to this increase, Fiat’s products will now be available at an increased price of 2% with immediate effect.”

Fiat currently offers the Fiat Linea, Fiat Grande Punto, Fiat Palio and Fiat 500 in the Indian market.

Source :
Fiat India To Increase Car Prices By 2% After Budget 2010 | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog
Old 27th February 2010, 17:25   #39
BHPian

So it seems small car prices are also going up, excise has gone up to 10% from the earlier 8%. Polo prices are set to up go then, and we'll have to see how much of an effect this will have on figo prices
Old 1st March 2010, 13:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

The allies (TMC & DMK) have joined the opposition in demanding rollback of diesel prices at least.
... Looks like diesel prices going down soon. Diesel cars will soon be more attractive.

P.S.: I would like to get Chidambaram back to the Finance Ministry. He was best FinMin we had got in recent times, instead of the Bengali Gentleman.
Soinaji, please pay heed to the request!!!
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
P.S.: I would like to get Chidambaram back to the Finance Ministry. He was best FinMin we had got in recent times, instead of the Bengali Gentleman.
Soinaji, please pay heed to the request!!!
I would want otherwise. At least got a off cycle hike of ~4500 Rs due to this Bengali gentleman and who knows if the government can push the DTC in time we can even see more than 15K hike in our net incoming amount without even our employers involvement ( except TDS )

So, even if the car prices are going up and fuel prices are also likely to be increased , he had shown some gesture to compensate that monthly.

These are purely my opinion based on the tangible benefits it provides to salaried people.

Last edited by worldcrawler : 2nd March 2010 at 20:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks