Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2010, 22:54   #16
BHPian

I fully agree that this is irresponsible journalism at its worst. The ads are bad enough but this article should never have been published. The truly unfortunate thing however is that people take these ads and articles seriously. Considering the advertisement campaign my MUL, it is hardly surprising that many of the rashest driving involving private hatchbacks today involves the Swift.
Arunsasi's suggestion is a good one and should be considered for implementation.
Old 28th February 2010, 23:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

@SS. It is great that you have come with this issue. But my friend it is YOU and I who feel that over speeding is bad. There are so many TEAM-BHPians who give their gyans in every safety related threads about not speeding your car but I would like to ask them one simple question.. Being an auto enthusiastic haven't they ever tested the power of their respective cars. I am not saying that all auto enthusiasts should speed but we are all human beings. I personally hate over speeding. I just want to say that there is always a level of hypocrisy involved when we blame people for over speeding. I had also collected a few links of galleries of the members where they had pictures of their speedo showing 140+ speed.

P.S- Obviously the beer thing is a bit too much. Drinking and driving should never be encouraged.

GREAT JOB SS.
Old 1st March 2010, 03:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Could we have infractions put in place for people who promote / brag on speeding?
What about performance mods? Those are illegal, infract anyone who posts about them,poor Jitu's gonna get banned now. Ideas like these make tbhp what we used to love,na?
Old 1st March 2010, 04:11   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Well most car journos speed and write about it too but the bit about the beer is totally stupid. Its just an idiot journo trying to be macho with beer and a big SUV. I'm glad they published your letter.
Well at lest in the past they used to drive the cars to it's limit in test track, no on public roads. you can speed at your on risk on a test track, but when you do the same on a public road, not you a risk not just for yourself but the other road users.
Old 1st March 2010, 08:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
What about performance mods? Those are illegal, infract anyone who posts about them,poor Jitu's gonna get banned now. Ideas like these make tbhp what we used to love,na?
Please don't indulge in hyperbole. Why should someone be penalized for promoting methods to get to the speed limit faster On a serious note, no one is objecting to bragging about quick times in controlled environments or getting the sluggish hunks of metal referred to as 'performance' cars to perform decently. All that is being objected to is the promotion of irresponsible driving. Have you ever seen a crash at 140+ involving India's ubiquitous 'performance' hatch? I have. There wasn't much left that could be recognized as human.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:04   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
First, the reporter indulges in breaking the speed limit just because he is driving a powerful car (the Ford Endeavour Automatic). The route taken, along NH1 up to Ambala, has a speed limit of 90 kmph, and Abhay Desai reports "effortlessly speeding up to 140+ kmph". Even the title of the article glorifies this fact.
Doc, you are treading into dangerous territory here

As they say, practise what you preach

And this thing about FORD being responsible, and dealer selling off to unsuspecting customers, is stretching things a bit too far!

Drive Safe.

======
Excerpts from your various travelogues:
======
Quote:
I've travelled the NH2 in Bihar over the years at average speeds of 20 km/h all these years, and here I was doing 120 km/h constantly!!!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1147149
Quote:
We'd left from Delhi at 6 AM, my wife, daughter and I, and got to the outskirts of Benaras by about 7PM. Brand new Accent Viva CRDi, running like a dream, cruising comfortably at 130-140 km/h.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1149400

Quote:
the car zipped by at around 130 km/h. After 20 hours of very controlled and continuous driving, I wasn't about to give chase on city roads...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1316549
Were you doing 120+ on city roads?

Quote:
It was really, really hot outside (I believe it was 44*C), and the temperature meter started edging above its usual position once I was on the NE-1 and doing 140+ km/h with the AC full on. Backed off to about 120-130 km/h, and the needle gradually fell to normal and stayed there. Car showing its age a little, I guess, but I'm not complaining...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1327040-post34.html

Last edited by sanjayc : 1st March 2010 at 09:07.
Old 1st March 2010, 09:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I personally hate over speeding.
Pancham, coming from you, who posted the thread below, readers will sure take the advise seriously

Quote:
190 km/hr..hit the divider..7 somersaults..learnt the lesson of my life
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1684087
Drive Safe.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:27   #23
BHPian

The companies who make ads like the ones for SX4 (man in every gentleman - thanks for the definition of manhood), Swift (You are the fuel - You will burn for sure) should learn a lesson or two from Fiat Linea ad. Even the VW ad with the spoiled kid seemed lot better than these.
Old 1st March 2010, 11:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The only thing that is pitiable is the old monk statement adding fuel to the drive, but that still doesn't mean that the said tester did actually drink and drive. And the cold beer could be for the other people in the car.
Yes, theoretically speaking, the beer could have been for others in the car. But it is media's duty to set examples, and they should not mention beer in the context of driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
There are thousands of Test Drive & Initial ownership threads and travelogues in this very forum where owners have proudly taken photogrpahs of their highest peak speed (160-190 KMPH) on a national highway and have displayed/posted in a open forum which is viewed by every one including kids.

there are several teens in the forum as members, they will also try and do the same i.e. try to break speed limits when they grow up.
I would ask all such members to see the "Accidents in India" thread. That should answer all the adrenaline rush.
Old 1st March 2010, 13:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
There is a difference between the OP's own posts and the article.

The OP is just stating his opinion on a public forum.

The Article is in a newspaper, with a much bigger and varied audience. The newspaper article has also got a much much bigger potential to influence.

Most importantly, I really dislike the article because of its very obvious references to drinking and driving. The idiot which wrote the article should not drink and drive, and even if he does, should NOT write about it publicly.

p.s. I aint no saint. I break the speed limit fairly often, although against the advice of my brain. However, I am 100% against drinking and driving. Dont do it. Dont like it when people do it.
Old 1st March 2010, 14:47   #26
BHPian

Hmm, so the Doc broke speed limit and is nay saying the journalist who clocked 140kph. Interesting. By the way, that article is the most shabby review I have ever read. Its probably a novice. We have all broken the legal speed limit on highways. Its wrong but then we just 'go with the flow'. Second, he stopped for A cold beer. Now, why did he have one while on the job? Retard. No comments there. So overall, big time FAIL article. I guess Mail Today is one of the more unheard of papers, thus such things may go unnoticed. Choice of words was poor. It did not make me feel like I was 'traveling' along. That factor was missing. So clearly, a poorly written article. But why oh why did Ford allow this is what confuses me!
Old 1st March 2010, 15:16   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Were you doing 120+ on city roads?
@ sanjayc: I love you for going through all my travelogues!!!

Absolutely not. Highways in various states did not have speed limits when those figures were done. I do not generally exceed speed limits where such limits exist. And 120+ km/h on city roads was what another car was doing, where you've quoted me!
Quote:
20 hours of very controlled and continuous driving
was what I was doing, and there aren't too many on this forum who can do that!
But then, not even 1% of the people who read that article read my travelogues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
But it is media's duty to set examples, and they should not mention beer in the context of driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
There is a difference between the OP's own posts and the article.

The OP is just stating his opinion on a public forum.

The Article is in a newspaper, with a much bigger and varied audience. The newspaper article has also got a much much bigger potential to influence.

Most importantly, I really dislike the article because of its very obvious references to drinking and driving. The idiot which wrote the article should not drink and drive, and even if he does, should NOT write about it publicly.

p.s. I aint no saint. I break the speed limit fairly often, although against the advice of my brain. However, I am 100% against drinking and driving. Dont do it. Dont like it when people do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hmm, so the Doc broke speed limit and is nay saying the journalist who clocked 140kph. Interesting.
No, what's interesting is that the doc is not a journalist setting examples for other people to follow. And I aint no saint either!
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

alot of car manufacturers are moving toward promoting "break the rule and rule the world kind"

Did you saw the new Chevy Cruz ad, waited all the time till light was green and revved up when it turned amber. Pretty insane. Is this what you should be doing?
Old 2nd March 2010, 21:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
alot of car manufacturers are moving toward promoting "break the rule and rule the world kind"

Did you saw the new Chevy Cruz ad, waited all the time till light was green and revved up when it turned amber. Pretty insane. Is this what you should be doing?
I am glad someone openly protested about it at the launch too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
...and then Oopsy Daisy Time

The forthcoming TV ad,

Three dudes walk in and buy a Cruze with a platinum card after seeing the featured. Cruise and pull up at a traffic light near an Endeavour. The Endeavour windows roll down. A few Sikhs playing Bangra. A drag race results, usual gaali exchange at 100 km/h, and some dangerous driving.

Ad ends, I am about to stand up when an old man in front rails at them - “what an earth were you thinking? You are contravening the Motor Vehicles act!”

Ashim starts on about youth image etc but Balendran twigs on and cuts him off saying we will discuss this. The ad is not released yet.
GM didn't reconsider/discuss the ad anyway, as it appears.

And I really hate the SX4 ads too.

Edit: Not the car Rajiv, just the ads!
Old 2nd March 2010, 22:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
And I really hate the SX4 ads too.

Edit: Not the car Rajiv, just the ads!
No worries sir ji, even I do not like SX4 ad, first you cut sharp to a car, and second to a beautiful lady in that, that's not man at all . And drive like crazy

Last edited by rkbharat : 2nd March 2010 at 22:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks