Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 22:21   #1
BHPian

Veyron, Lotus and Aston Martin coming to India!!

According to autocar March issue the veyron will be launching in India soon and will be priced at 16 cr thats correct 160000000/- . It will be launched in left hand drive only! Apparently DGFT has given it permission cos of the amount of tax that can be collected from the sale of each veyron! Also coming to india is astin martin and lotus brand. Hope they price the lotus elise well. It would be awesome in the 3 series bracket
Old 27th February 2010, 08:41   #2
BHPian

16 cr...!!! Isn't that like EXPENSIVE. I think foreign companies sees India as a hunting ground to make some money. For example, a Volkswagen Touareg costs about 21 Lakhs in the US. When the same car comes to India with lesser features, it costs close to 60 Lakhs.

I do understand the "Tax" part of it. But 40 Lakhs..!!!! Are you kidding me. You would be surprised when you see the actual cost of most of these cars. Now it is Bugatti.

Well, I am going to console myself by telling Indians are too rich and we can afford to "BLOW" some Green --- BUT when you think over it, you know we are robbed in the dark -- and we talk about it. The Ironic part is, it is noone but us to blame for this. We put ourselves in this situation.

We have all the required potential to start a company that is better in all ways than any biggie that is currently in the Indian Market -- because we are Indians. But, we choose not to. This is because, we see anything with an Indian tag as a below standard. It is this stereotypical thinking that makes way for foreign companies to loot you of your money. Think about it.
Old 27th February 2010, 09:28   #3
BHPian

^I can see where this thread is going to go

Wouldn't it be cheaper to import a second hand Veyron?
Old 27th February 2010, 10:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
16 cr...!!! Isn't that like EXPENSIVE. I think foreign companies sees India as a hunting ground to make some money. For example, a Volkswagen Touareg costs about 21 Lakhs in the US. When the same car comes to India with lesser features, it costs close to 60 Lakhs.

I do understand the "Tax" part of it. But 40 Lakhs..!!!! Are you kidding me. You would be surprised when you see the actual cost of most of these cars. Now it is Bugatti.

Well, I am going to console myself by telling Indians are too rich and we can afford to "BLOW" some Green --- BUT when you think over it, you know we are robbed in the dark -- and we talk about it. The Ironic part is, it is noone but us to blame for this. We put ourselves in this situation.

We have all the required potential to start a company that is better in all ways than any biggie that is currently in the Indian Market -- because we are Indians. But, we choose not to. This is because, we see anything with an Indian tag as a below standard. It is this stereotypical thinking that makes way for foreign companies to loot you of your money. Think about it.
16 Cr is definitely very expensive!
But remember the import duty is about 160%. So the actual pre-cost is about 6 Crores.

The Veyron retails for 1 Million Euros in Europe which is about 6 Crores.

Also I read somewhere that each Veyron costs about 5M Euros to make and Bugatti loses money on selling each car, but they do it because it is a technological marvel.
Old 27th February 2010, 11:00   #5
BHPian

Hmm... I never understood the logic behind such high import charges. Can someone educate me a bit more on it?

Thank you MileCruncher for that info on Bugatti.
Old 27th February 2010, 11:31   #6
BHPian

Dude, As far as i know, nobody's gonna take that car. Its completely unpractical for driving in india. it isn't like a lambo or a ferrari. 160000000 or 16 crore is not being worth paying for it. Take my word. the maximum number going for sale in india is 2. Not more than that.
Old 27th February 2010, 11:54   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

2 things:
- USA is LHD. When a car is imported into India, it is always RHD - therefore from a European/Asian country rather than an American company. Given how the euro/asian currencies are, as well as the prices of cars in those countries, we are technically paying marginally extra and not exhorbitantly extra - that is after we include import duty.
Eg: A VW Toureg might cost 21,000 pounds in UK - now multiply that by the exchange rate and then add the duty
- The duty is 104%, not 160%.

One way to console yourself for the expensive cars - lesser traffic! Imagine if a lot more people could own cars given the infrastructure.
Old 27th February 2010, 12:02   #8
Senior - BHPian

From Bugatti Veyron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

The Veyron features an 8.0 litre W16 engine — sixteen cylinders in two banks of eight cylinders, or the equivalent of two narrow angle V8 engines mated in a "W" configuration.

The transmission is a dual clutch Direct-Shift Gearbox computer-controlled automatic with seven gear ratios, with magnesium paddles behind the steering wheel and a shift time of less than 150 milliseconds.
A replacement transmission for the Veyron costs just over $120,000. It also features fulltime permanent four wheel drive, using the Haldex Traction system. It uses special Michelin PAX run flat tyres, designed specifically for the Veyron to accommodate its top speed, which reportedly cost $25,000 US per set.[12] The tyres can only be removed from the rims in France, a service which reportedly costs $70,000. Kerb weight is 2,034.8 kilograms (4,486 lb).[12] This gives the car a power to weight ratio, according to Volkswagen Group's 1,001 metric horsepower (736 kW; 987 bhp) figures, of 446.3 bhp per ton.
The Bugatti Veyron has a total of ten radiators.

* 4 radiators for the engine cooling system.
* 1 heat exchanger for the air to liquid intercoolers.
* 2 for the air conditioning system.
* 1 transmission oil radiator.
* 1 differential oil radiator.
* 1 engine oil radiator.
The car's everyday top speed is listed at 350 km/h (220 mph). When the car reaches 220 km/h (140 mph), hydraulics lower the car until it has a ground clearance of about 9 cm (3.5 in.). At the same time, the wing and spoiler deploy.

Technological marvel indeed.

Last edited by sdp1975 : 27th February 2010 at 12:04.
Old 27th February 2010, 14:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
Hmm... I never understood the logic behind such high import charges. Can someone educate me a bit more on it?

Thank you MileCruncher for that info on Bugatti.
The logic is simple. Take the A8. Retails for about the equivalent of about 32 lacs in the US. Imagine, if premium cars were made so cheap in India, every single person with a C-class would be driving an A8 or higher.

In a country of a billion, with infrastructure still developing and petrol highly subsidized, it would be morally wrong to let the free expansion of the car market go unchecked.

As a petrolhead, it is frustrating, and i share your sentiment. But import taxes do their job in keeping our roads semi-motorable.
Old 27th February 2010, 15:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually those import taxes are there to encourage local manufacturing.

Our stupid sarkari babus will not think so much of the roads being clogged or anything.
Old 27th February 2010, 15:52   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The Veyron retails for 1 Million Euros in Europe which is about 6 Crores.

Also I read somewhere that each Veyron costs about 5M Euros to make and Bugatti loses money on selling each car, but they do it because it is a technological marvel.
I don't think so that any company will lose 4 million by selling a car.
I am not going to believe until the car company offically announces.
I think government will also not allow a LHD to be imported legally which will cause a huge issue.

For example say you pay extra tax to you bring a LHD then many will buy from Dubai and pay that extra tax.I am saying dubai because this where the car prices are cheap when compared to others.
Old 27th February 2010, 15:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam9557 View Post
Dude, As far as i know, nobody's gonna take that car. Its completely unpractical for driving in india. it isn't like a lambo or a ferrari. 160000000 or 16 crore is not being worth paying for it. Take my word. the maximum number going for sale in india is 2. Not more than that.
The aim of the Manufacture is 2 or 3 cars in a year. The Veyron is just gonna be aimed for the super rich who want an exclusive snob car standing in their garage. I know of two people who wanted the car and would buy it, if it does come to India.

If you think a Ferrari, Lamborghini or even the R8 are practical cars in Most part of India please do talk to owners or better still get someone to take you for a drive in them. Yes but if you compare these to the Veyron then they are far more Practical for our roads.
Old 27th February 2010, 16:13   #13
BHPian

16 Crore for a car. I understand its a Veyron but still.

Good to see that Aston Martin and Lotus are coming to India. Also if you guys haven't noticed, it seems like VW does have a penchant for selling cars at a loss, first it was the Veyron and now there are reports that every Polo in India is made at a loss of 84k.
Old 27th February 2010, 16:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
I don't think so that any company will lose 4 million by selling a car.
I am not going to believe until the car company offically announces.
Well if you google you will get the above info. One such article from Bugatti Veyron
Quote:
The Bugatti Veyron first made its appearance back in 1999 at the Tokyo Motor Show as a concept car, but it wasn’t until 2005 again at the Tokyo Motor Show that a full production model was first shown. It has been reported that even though the Bugatti Veyron sells for about $2,000,000 US the actual production cost is well above this figure.
So why would Volkswagen build a car that loses money? Because the car was developed as a test bed for future technology and as an exercise in engineering so it remains to be seen weather Volkswagen will make money if the technologies in this car will be used in future mass produced vehicles.
Apart from that it was announced by Jeremy Clarkson on one of the Top Gear Episodes as well. Don't remember which but it was announced.
Old 27th February 2010, 19:27   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam9557 View Post
..And who are those two lucky persons going to be?

Most Viewed