Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2012, 15:54   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

re: New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport! *UPDATE* Price reduced to 22.56 Lakh!

This is what it looks like (from Mitsubishi India website)

New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport! *UPDATE* Price reduced to 22.56 Lakh!-pajero-sport.png

Microsite link. Haven't been able to open it properly, probably because of the traffic?

Edit: Funnily enough, the news isn't updated on the media releases section of their website

Last edited by noopster : 12th March 2012 at 15:57.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 16:18   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
You are right, it will never catch up to the Fortuner and with the new Endevour also in the horizon, god save it.

It will be like the Cedia
Note that its a CBU as of now? they might be able to bring down the price by 3-4 lacs once it switches to CKD mode. I am sure they will try for CKD as they are heavily bent on this as this is the last and only hope for HM to survive. So down the line ( may be next year) we might find sport and fortuner at the same price.
good for all of us
Old 12th March 2012, 16:23   #183
Senior - BHPian

Had it been about 2.5L cheaper it certainly would have made a dent in this growing SUV market.

What is the rationale of pricing it over the current market leader?
- Is Mitsubishi a bigger brand name than Toyota?
- Is Mitsubishi better known brand in the off-road market than Toyota?
- Does Mitsubishi offer better service network than Toyota?
- Is it cheaper to maintain and run than a Toyota?
If the answers to the above are NO, then I fail to understand the reasoning of this pricing.

Some comparisons that I found from its site -
- Antiquated NON touchscreen music system with a CD player instead of DVD -
- No bluetooth -
- No HID headlmaps or headlamp washers -
- Additional Intermittent rear wiper +
- No Indicators on side view mirrors -
- 3rd Row flattens flat +
- Only one manual 4x4 variant available -
- 2.5 L engine (There is no replacement for displacement) -
- Great looking Rear +
- Antiquated roof antenna -
- Larger MID +
- Some parts cloned from Fortuner (Side mirror folding controls e.g.) -
- Rear Drums -
- NO VSC -

Last edited by dkaile : 12th March 2012 at 16:43.
dkaile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 16:32   #184
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport at Autonova Motors, Ahmedabad. The car is BIG. As per the dealer the price and formal launch is going to be today evening in Delhi. The dealer also quoted that each dealer is only going to get only about 10 cars till Oct 2012. And the estimated 30 Lacs OTR is a ''subsidised'' price and by end of 2012 Mitsubishi might launch the same in CKD with no changes in price. The new pajero has nice electric seats too. The built quality gives a feeling as if its made to last a life time.

Also the SA stated that SFX and Sport both are going to be sold side by side with an avg price difference of approx 5 Lacs.
Old 12th March 2012, 16:40   #185
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pajero Sport Launched

Just checked their web site (http://www.pajerosport.in/) does not seem to be completely ready hence downloaded the pdf brochure to take a look at specifications. Was surprised to see this

Brakes Front - 16" Ventilated Discs
Brakes Front - 16" Ventilated Drum-in-Discs

Now what is this Drum-in-Discs business? anyone has any idea?

At 23.53 Ex Showroom New Delhi make it about 5/6 L more expensive then Fortuner. What is the customer getting extra as compared to Fortuner?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 12th March 2012 at 16:43.
Old 12th March 2012, 16:54   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo
Very nice, but I fail to see why anybody should buy it at even 22.5L as the Fortuner 4WD MT sells for 21L ex- showroom. The SFX BS4 is nearly 60k more than a Fortuner, but then that's a true and real P-A-J-E-R-O. But a premium for the new Sport over the Fortuner is hard to justify, IMHO.
Could you please share your initial views of the vehicle since you have driven it. How is the ride and handling compared to fortuner? How is the seating space and seats and how does it perform when pushed hard. Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 17:15   #187
BHPian

Going back a mere 6-7 years, the Pajero was THE highly talked about SUV and had all the respect too.
Most of you will agree to have drooled over / quoted the Pajero as an example for being the definite SUV in the Indian Market, (well, in the said price bracket - of course). And relatively the SUV market was dominated by the Safaris & the Pajeros.

No doubt, this car is coming from a very strong lineage of many years & still carries the 'oooh Pajero' factor.

To be honest, the new age SUVs in Indian Market, e.g. the Fortuner, The Captiva & the Endeavour; have spoilt the customer in the Rs.20L price bracket.

IMO, Mitsubishi being aware of this market, wants to encash on the lineage, rather than the VFM.

During the period of the initial launch/ 1st batch of these cars, I wont be surprised to see people flocking to lay hands on the Pajero Sport. But the interesting thing to see would be - what after the 1st wave of the flock? Will the 'Sport' keep HM busy for a long time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
, the trick is to "introduce" the car as a VFM option and hike the price based on the demand and get better margins. The "Fortuner" case study should have been enough as a proof.
When I read this, the thought of what XUV did, during its 1st batch launch, struck me. But I think HM / Mitsubishi cannot afford to do such a thing - specially since its a CBU.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 12th March 2012 at 17:18.
Old 12th March 2012, 17:21   #188
BHPian

I guess it will be worth waiting for the CKD. I am not sure how much of a price drop it will mean but I guess anything between 17-19L ex-showroom should be awesome.

I just hope HM and Mitsubishi fix the dealer network issue.
Old 12th March 2012, 17:24   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Just checked their web site (http://www.pajerosport.in/) does not seem to be completely ready hence downloaded the pdf brochure to take a look at specifications. Was surprised to see this

Brakes Front - 16" Ventilated Discs
Brakes Front - 16" Ventilated Drum-in-Discs

Now what is this Drum-in-Discs business? anyone has any idea?

At 23.53 Ex Showroom New Delhi make it about 5/6 L more expensive then Fortuner. What is the customer getting extra as compared to Fortuner?
Drum in Disc means Disc Brakes. Rear discs always have an auxiliary drum which is used for the parking brake.
reignofchaos is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 17:58   #190
BHPian

Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Brochure for India
Old 12th March 2012, 18:05   #191
Senior - BHPian

I thought that DVD player would have been Standard across all the variants, but instead it is MP3 player in a 20+L vehicle. Unjustified.
Old 12th March 2012, 18:29   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile

Some comparisons that I found from its site -
- Antiquated NON touchscreen music system with a CD player instead of DVD -
- No bluetooth -
- No HID headlmaps or headlamp washers -
- Additional Intermittent rear wiper +
- No Indicators on side view mirrors -
- 3rd Row flattens flat +
- Only one manual 4x4 variant available -
- 2.5 L engine (There is no replacement for displacement) -
- Great looking Rear +
- Antiquated roof antenna -
- Larger MID +
- Some parts cloned from Fortuner (Side mirror folding controls e.g.) -
- Rear Drums -
- NO VSC -
lesser turning radius +
Lesser width +
More power/ torque +

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
- Rear Drums -
Isn't it all discs. Manual says drum in discs which is nothing but disc brakes. Right?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by noopster : 12th March 2012 at 21:18.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:35   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Note that its a CBU as of now? they might be able to bring down the price by 3-4 lacs once it switches to CKD mode. I am sure they will try for CKD as they are heavily bent on this as this is the last and only hope for HM to survive. So down the line ( may be next year) we might find sport and fortuner at the same price.
good for all of us
Lets hope so that they go the CKD way soon else it would be a pain to maintain it (not withstanding the cost).

I know a Montero owner who has suffered on account of slow shipment of parts from Japan as none are available here on demand.
Old 12th March 2012, 19:39   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it all discs. Manual says drum in discs which is nothing but disc brakes. Right?
just to clarify. read this:
Drum-in-Disc parking brake system - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

Correct me guys if I am wrong that drum-in-discs are nothing but disc brakes with drum used for hand brake.

Quote:
lesser turning radius +
Lesser width +
More power/ torque +
to add few more:
all disc brakes +
better wheel base +

Sport might be at par or slightly better on paper but it looses out on pricing. suddenly overpriced fortuner is looking VFM now.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by noopster : 12th March 2012 at 20:16.
Old 12th March 2012, 20:32   #195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Going back a mere 6-7 years, the Pajero was THE highly talked about SUV and had all the respect too.
Most of you will agree to have drooled over / quoted the Pajero as an example for being the definite SUV in the Indian Market, (well, in the said price bracket - of course). And relatively the SUV market was dominated by the Safaris & the Pajeros.
No doubt, this car is coming from a very strong lineage of many years & still carries the 'oooh Pajero' factor.
Actually there is not much of a lineage in this case. This car just have the name ‘Pajero’. The latest of the original Pajero is already available in India - the Montero. So yes, probably they are trying to see if the name sells (going by the CBU route).
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed