Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 18:54   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Assuming the Price of this new Pajero is around 25 Lakhs. And we know that the price of Fortuner is 22 Lakhs.

1. Keeping the brand image aside for a while is the new Pajero worth the 3 (or 5) Lakhs extra?

2. What all do you get for that extra?

3. BTW, is it right to compare Pajero with Fortuner or the other way around?
Spec wise the extra 3Lacs is worth it provided that it comes with the 3.2L DID engine with Auto transmission. Also the Mitsu does come with better brakes, Audio system etc. and it wont feel like you are sitting in a vehicle that costs half the price. (Fortuner & Innova have almost similar looking interiors.)

The Pajero sport is no way related to the original Pajero/Montero. Just like the Fortuner the Pajero Sport is based on a pick-up so they pretty much compete against each other.
Old 4th March 2010, 07:41   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I think they key will be how it is priced against the Fortuner and Endy. I think only a handful of die hard Mitsu fans and maybe Fortuner haters will pay a premium over the Fortuner for the Pajero Sport. By the time this thing is launched the initial Fortuner hype would have died down and waiting periods will be reasonable.

Though I am no fan of Hindustan Motors, we need more competition in this segment as manufacturers have been really milking the Indian consumer in the 20 lakhs SUV segment.
Old 4th March 2010, 18:29   #48
BHPian

Pajero Sport has been in market for a long time, especially in the US. I think the model what we see here was launched a few years ago in the international market. Looks like Mitsubishi is in a confused state in India, if they introduce pajero sport in 20 L bracket, they will have 3 vehicles in the same bracket (current Pajero, Outlander (diesel/oct '10)) and then pajero sport. Its unlikely they would kill the current Pajero which is assembled here with some good amount of localization (increased margins).

so only option for them would be to price it higher, about 23 to 25L, which would take them in to xtrail territory. btw. Nissan is planning to assemble Xtrail by end of the year in Chennai to reduce the taxes and market it more competitively.

IMHO, they should kill the current pajero and market the pajero sport as upgraded pajero in the same price bracket and then they can effectively compete with Fortuner. Interiors are much better but ride is harsh compared to Fortuner(Overdrive mag Mar '10)
Old 4th March 2010, 18:48   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknair View Post
IMHO, they should kill the current pajero and market the pajero sport as upgraded pajero in the same price bracket and then they can effectively compete with Fortuner. Interiors are much better but ride is harsh compared to Fortuner(Overdrive mag Mar '10)
Alternatively, Mitsubishi could consider pricing current Pajero 2-3 lakhs below Fortuner. And introduce Sport to compete with Fortuner.

If localization is high in current Pajero, this should be ok for Mitsubishi?
Old 4th March 2010, 20:15   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Alternatively, Mitsubishi could consider pricing current Pajero 2-3 lakhs below Fortuner. And introduce Sport to compete with Fortuner.

If localization is high in current Pajero, this should be ok for Mitsubishi?
I think this is a great approach. Price the current Pajero 2.8 to fight the Ford Endy at about 18 lakhs and use the Sport with the 3.2 DID to fight the Fortuner. But frankly this is all wishful thinking. I expect these Bozos at HM to screw this one up royally.
Old 4th March 2010, 21:55   #51
BHPian

Quote:
but ride is harsh compared to Fortuner(Overdrive mag Mar '10)
I don't know what OBERDRIVE is upto but as far as the ride quality is concerned, Pajero's ride quality is much better than Fortuner. I seriously doubt that the upcoming Pajero SPORT will have any inferior ride quality when compared to the current version they're selling in India.
Old 4th March 2010, 22:05   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I think this is a great approach. Price the current Pajero 2.8 to fight the Ford Endy at about 18 lakhs and use the Sport with the 3.2 DID to fight the Fortuner. But frankly this is all wishful thinking. I expect these Bozos at HM to screw this one up royally.
Yeah, I felt while I was typing that this is wishful thinking. All I want is some serious competition in the 15 Lakh SUV category.
Old 10th April 2010, 19:35   #53
BHPian

I spkoe to the Mitsu dealer folks yesterday, here is some news...
* Looks like they have firmed up plans for launching Pajero Sport and it would replae the current Pajero in the same price bracket.
>>problem is Hindustan Motors is not moving their feet fast enough
>>there is a good chance Mitsubishi may go it alone in India soon, as part of thier strategy, they have stared to open thier own showrooms (in Mumbai they have 3 now). Plans are to open one in Bangalore very soon.

Evo was originally planned for a launch in April, thats also in limbo at the moment.

Mitsu folks are completely denying the Outlander diesel story in Overdrive mag.

In summary, landscape is as confused as possible...
Old 10th April 2010, 23:16   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
I don't know what OBERDRIVE is upto but as far as the ride quality is concerned, Pajero's ride quality is much better than Fortuner. I seriously doubt that the upcoming Pajero SPORT will have any inferior ride quality when compared to the current version they're selling in India.
Pajero's Ride, Handling and High speed stability is much better than its current competition i.e Fortuner and Endeavour. Do not expect same level of finesse in the upcoming Pick-up truck based Pajero Sport.

How about slotting the 3.2 Di-D Engine in the current Pajero and dropping the price by a few lakhs? I like the classic Pajero looks.
Old 27th April 2010, 12:35   #55
BHPian

After waiting for 3-4 days, I was finally able to register a query (when would Pajero Sports be launched) on Mitsu's website (yes, their website was completely down from Friday last till yesterday!).

A few minutes ago I received a call from them to communicate that launch date hasn't been decided by MMC as yet. Mitsu Japan is still contemplating on when to launch it in India as a CKD. Pricing has been confirmed to be in the range of current Pajero. Also confirmed is a 3.2 DiD plant for this model.
Old 27th April 2010, 21:35   #56
BHPian

That's a good news that we are getting 3.2 diesel engine,
165 ps and 351 nm torque .
That's good decision from mitsubishi that they are not launching it with 2.5l diesel.
Test vehicle of Santa Fe was spotted today, I hope we spot Pajero Sport on test soon.
Waiting for its launch....
I hope we also get some gizmos like cruise control, traction control, optional auto box which are missing on fortuner and are must have for a 20L SUV.

Last edited by AMAN_SACHDEV : 27th April 2010 at 21:39.
Old 28th April 2010, 10:02   #57
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
>>there is a good chance Mitsubishi may go it alone in India soon, as part of thier strategy, they have stared to open thier own showrooms (in Mumbai they have 3 now). Plans are to open one in Bangalore very soon.
I doubt that they will go alone in near future.
No doubt that it is good for them to get away from the HM fools.
But Mitsubishi lacks the will or financial muscle of its competitors.
Old 28th April 2010, 11:41   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I doubt that they will go alone in near future.
No doubt that it is good for them to get away from the HM fools.
But Mitsubishi lacks the will or financial muscle of its competitors.
Mitsu's has earned profit as per the latest reports. Probably it should encourage the management to take chances in big selling markets like India.
Old 5th May 2010, 14:22   #59
BHPian

reported a querty at mitsubishi website regarding pajero sport. got a call today from chandigarh,
he said that expected launch is march 2011,
engine will be 2.5 l .
I told him that I read somewhere that 3.2 l engine will power the new pajero sport. buy he was sure about 2.5 l with manual trasmission.
Old 5th May 2010, 14:40   #60
Senior - BHPian

Last week I saw two fully undisguised brand new Pajero Sport Pick-ups on NH-2,near Durgapur.Both vehicles were running on temp WB plates.Not sure if they were bought down for testing purposes by HM-Mitsubishi or as private imports.Sorry,couldn't snap them.Here are a couple of pics from the net for reference.

New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport! *UPDATE* Price reduced to 22.56 Lakh!-2007-mitsubishi-pajero-pickup-2.jpg

New Mitsubishi Pajero Sport! *UPDATE* Price reduced to 22.56 Lakh!-2007-mitsubishi-pajero-pickup-3.jpg

Edit:The vehicles I saw were single cab pick-ups.

Last edited by AyAn! : 5th May 2010 at 14:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks