Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2010, 15:49   #121
BHPian

Wow! Maruti Gypsy sales figure are worth to look at. Sales figures of 282 in February is a great number. I am sure many of the BHP'ians have contributed a lot apart from the government orders.

However Xenon seems to be quite low at just 35-40/month. Hope it picks up.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
1. It is visible that Jazz isnt doing great numbers. What would be appreciated from readers is an insight on "Why" it isn't doing good?
karpusv, same is being discussed in another thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ard-honda.html

Not sure how you would qualify the discussion though, which oscillates from Honda bashing to Honda loving. Consensus (at the moment) is that Jazz is over priced.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:04   #123
BHPian

Good to see Punto's sales picking up drastically. Seems people have started understanding the value Punto offers. Now, everything lies in the hands of Fiat to maintain the upward trend. There are still so many issues in A.S.S which doesn't look good for the company at the moment. They should have waken up already, but still carrying their lethargic attitude which is not a good sign!

Fiat, are you listening? Your job doesn't end in making good cars, it's about how long you can keep the car good.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:06   #124
Senior - BHPian

1. It is visible that Jazz isnt doing great numbers. What would be appreciated from readers is an insight on "Why" it isn't doing good?

Simple. Price. Unless Honda decides to do a very good price revision, the Jazz is as good as walloped. The brand name alone cannot resurrect the model. Indians have become wiser. At that price, there are plenty of good sedans and so any person looking for a first car in that bracket, would also want a proper sedan.

2. Palio sales have come down to just 2 nos. What does this mean? Has it got to do something with the product or the company?

Too old in the tooth. Palio has been in the market right from the time Fiat has had its second run. Had its share of initial ownership issues. Either kill the car or renew interest by bringing in the latest versions sold worldwide. New interiors are a definite need.

3. Alto still does awesome numbers inspite of many new cars. Why is it so?
Cheapest car of the lot (discounting the M800). Definite graduation for a bike/scooter owner to a first-time car. Especially among salaried (government) employees.
Old 10th March 2010, 16:46   #125
BHPian

@sbraj
@discoverwild

The examples given by me were just an idea.
What I'm trying to say is that many replies to the sales figures are just reading out what is already readable in the table.
Example:
Some random quote says "Sales of Honda civic are XXX or Sales of Maruti Ritz is XXX units"
Yes. That is visible in the table itself. But This type of reply doesn't add any value. Does it?

All I'm requesting is to give insights and your perspectives on what could be the reasons for that.
Old 10th March 2010, 17:09   #126
BHPian

Thanks Karpusv for the numbers. I think there are some interesting observations from my side.
A. Maruti
1. Swift + Dzire seem to be taking a steep growth curve. Despite onslaught from several models, these 2 cars seem to be only growing. Clearly this is an indication of the fact that the newer players are actually widening the market size rather than cannibalising sales of existing market leaders. Manza sales is not available but I can only surmise it to be in the range of 3-4k which probably is almost an incremental sale as other C segment cars have also grown. Clearly newer models seem to be bringing in newer consumers (probably frequency of car replacement is also fast increasing) along with incidence of multiple car ownership.
2. VVT +AT seem to have revived the sales for SX4 to an extent. Not sure what % is from AT but I guess that was a smart move from MSIL to get additional sales. 1500 seems to be the new normal for SX4. With the introduction of the diesel this may probably reach 3K for SX4.
3. Ritz has probably settled to an avg of 5.5K units a month. Pretty decent numbers. What will be interesting to see the Petrol sales and the extent to which it may get affected by Swift. But I guess there are always consumers who would prefer a family hatchback over a sporty Swift.
4. Eeco + Omni is almost 11k. The Versa refurbishing was a masterstroke. The VFM play has worked. What is interesting is that despite the Eeco, Omni is seeing a growth. This implies that probably there are greater walkins to Maruti for an MUV leading to an increase in overall volumes primarily driven by the Eeco launch
5. Alto is the undisputed leader due to its great mileage, low cost of ownership and compact size. A Star however is hovering around the 3k mark. Maruti seems to be happy just exporting this model I guess. However, what seems to have worked well has been the engine transplant for Estilo. There seems to be a clear increase in numbers from the earlier 2.5 to 3K.

B. Hyundai
1. i10 is going strong. at around 14K units it has displaced wagon R at the 2nd position. Clearly this is a case of good value for money proposition. Great interiors, good engine, good ***, attractive AT and engine options are the primary reasons why i10 seems to be doing so well. Along with Santro, they constitute nearly 75-80% of Hyundai's overall sales. The i10 diesel option will only strengthen their position in the B segment
2. i20 is the best example for being able to sell premium hatch back at Sedan pricing. Clearly consumers see great value in terms of features, safety, looks and engine options in i20 making it the benchmark for all other premium hatch back aspiring manufacturers. Honda Jazz needs to take a leaf out of the book of Hyundai.

C Tata
1. The entry Segment is now having the Nano consistently clocking around 4K units. It is just a matter of time when this will replace Alto as the new cart topper. I now see a lot more Nanos on the road. Hope Tata is able to maintain quality levels as volumes increase and sort out niggling issues. The Indica range has also settled at 11k. I can't understand why we are not able to get the split between Indica and Vista. But my guess is that despite offering so many options in Vista (Safire, Tdi, Quadrajet), Vista will probably be only around 5-6K. The rest will be Indicabs.
2. Manza has worked well for Tata. The Indigo range that use to sell around 4-5K has now swelled to 7.5K.Nobody can deny the fact that Manza is up there at the top in terms of VFM. The huge space and comfort levels, great features and fantastic pricing are the key to this. If only Manza was better looking and Tata's *** better, it would have overtaken Dzire.

No more patience to look at other Mfrs. Hopefully some one else will chip in

Last edited by nurni76 : 10th March 2010 at 17:17.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:13   #127
BANNED

Some trends I noticed:

1. Honda is losing grip in all segments except City. Sales of CRV, Civic, and Jazz are down, and how! Reason? People are looking for value for their money, not only brand value!

2. Maruti is gaining momentum in B, C and utility segments. Their monthly sales of sedans (DZire, SX4) as well as utility vehicles (Omni, Eeco) have crossed 10K mark. Though A-Star is still a non-performer, Estilo and Ritz sales have picked up. Alto sales may have affected by Eeco. Otherwise, no chance for reduced numbers for Alto when the company's sales numbers are the highest.

3. Hyundai has 3 (and only 3) sure shots - i10, i20 and Santro. Other models are struggling. Verna sales are down to 1500 levels from earlier 3K level, even with a Diesel option. Compare that with SX4 - same numbers with only Petrol model.

4. Logan is down and out, so is the Mahindra-Renault tie-up.

5. Chevrolet Spark and Beat are hits - clearly, people have fallen in love with the 3-year free service offer!
Old 10th March 2010, 20:25   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
3. Alto still does awesome numbers inspite of many new cars. Why is it so?
Cheapest car of the lot (discounting the M800). Definite graduation for a bike/scooter owner to a first-time car. Especially among salaried (government) employees.
There's something more to the Alto than just the sum of its + points. Compare it to the Eeco, for instance. While both are available at around the same price, the Eeco has a larger engine, more power, better headroom, better visibility, bigger passenger space (even though it has the same width as the Alto), a massive luggage space and better options (5 or 7 seat options). The only feature that Alto scores is that it (the LXI version) has power steering, while the Eeco does not have one. Despite the potential success of the Eeco, I still see the Alto right on top for quite some time.

A short while ago, Tata began comparing its Indica with the Alto in the press and tried to impress upon the people that the Indica was a far better car (in most specifications) than the Alto, especially since the Indica (petrol edition) was available at the Alto price. That too did not work and the sales of the two cars speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurni76 View Post
3. Ritz has probably settled to an avg of 5.5K units a month. Pretty decent numbers. What will be interesting to see the Petrol sales and the extent to which it may get affected by Swift. But I guess there are always consumers who would prefer a family hatchback over a sporty Swift.
I'm surprised that the Ritz has not done better. I have found it more spacious, bigger in size, with better features (split rear seat, etc) and certainly less claustrophobic than the Swift. And yet, the Swift sells more than twice the Ritz. I can only assume that the messed up rear end of the car has something to do with its sales.

Melvyn
Old 10th March 2010, 20:47   #129
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I'm surprised that the Ritz has not done better. I have found it more spacious, bigger in size, with better features (split rear seat, etc) and certainly less claustrophobic than the Swift. And yet, the Swift sells more than twice the Ritz. I can only assume that the messed up rear end of the car has something to do with its sales.
In my opinion, Ritz sales will pick up to a 7-8 K levels, but only after some time.

But, if Maruti can give Ritz a rear design as that of the Suzuki Liana (shown below), the Ritz would have been a super hit from day one, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
February 2010 sales thread EDIT : Vasudeva's report on page 7-800pxsuzuki_liana_rear.jpg  

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th March 2010 at 20:49.
Old 10th March 2010, 20:58   #130
BHPian

I agree that the Ritz's numbers are a little puzzling. One would have imagined that the Ritz should have cannibalized Swift sales to some extent, but look at the results. I guess this is partially due to the K12 engine being transplanted to the Swift.

I also suppose most buyers consider the Swift more desirable of the two. The fact that the Ritz sales half the numbers of the Swift must tell something.

Its encouraging to see the i20 doing well as well. I wonder how the addition of the Figo and Polo will affect the market sales figures in the coming months.

Overall, looks like the good days are back for the auto industry. But with post-budget implications, a lot remains to be seen.
Old 10th March 2010, 21:08   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
In my opinion, Ritz sales will pick up to a 7-8 K levels, but only after some time.

But, if Maruti can give Ritz a rear design as that of the Suzuki Liana (shown below), the Ritz would have been a super hit from day one, IMO.
The Liana has a nice rear-end and is certainly more appealing that the Ritz's backside. I wonder why this car was not made available in India?

I too agree that the Ritz rear should be modified to make it look more appealing. Maybe, Maruti could even consider adding a boot to the Ritz. Not only will it give the Ritz a different (and maybe, a more acceptable look), it could also cater to the huge waiting list for the Dzire. The Ritz C-dan (given the benefits of the Ritz + a boot) could well turn out to be a popular car. And the customer would have yet another model and option to consider from within the Maruti fold itself.

Melvyn
Old 10th March 2010, 21:16   #132
BHPian

swift is devouring ritz. ritz diesel was anyway not popular, only the petrol was selling due to k12m, now that it is available in swift, potential ritz petrol buyers would opt for the swift petrol instead. i expect the ritz downward trend should continue along with rising numbers for swift.
Old 10th March 2010, 23:18   #133
BHPian

Thanks Kapusv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
2. Palio sales have come down to just 2 nos.
The two proud owners of Palio, please announce yourselves. I have a feeling those two must be Team-BHPeans
Old 10th March 2010, 23:50   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuboid View Post
swift is devouring ritz. ritz diesel was anyway not popular, only the petrol was selling due to k12m, now that it is available in swift, potential ritz petrol buyers would opt for the swift petrol instead. i expect the ritz downward trend should continue along with rising numbers for swift.
Hope this is your personal opinion, I would like to have some sales data for Ritz petrol and diesel models. Things are different in different cities - come to Mumbai you'll find most of the Ritz are petrol, but you go to Pune where peoples choice are just otherway - most of the Ritz are diesel. I have compared Oct'09, Jan'10 and Feb'10 sales data of all the hatch backs. In 2010 Ritz sales figure has increased above 5000 units/month, here I just want to mention that other than Ritz there are only 6 models that have been crossed 5000 units/months boundary - Alto, i10, Wagon R, Swift and Indica (including Vista and all other varients). If sales figures talks, then Ritz has done extremely well (considering the presence of much popular Swift in the almost same price bracket) than everyones faviourite Punto (Feb'10 - 1423), i20 (Feb'10 - 4910), Getz (Feb'10 - 672), Jazz (Feb'10 - 233), Fabia (Feb'10 - 673), Beat (Feb'10 - 4431), Spark (Feb'10 - 3378).

People has problem with the looks of Ritz, still it manages to sell above 5000 units/month and at the same time Swift sell also increasing every month - the data clearly indicates they are not competing with each other. If there is no Ritz, I don't think Maruti will able to convert those 5000 units to Swift. I would say cleaver marketing strategy.

@ romeomidhun - No doubt Spark is a good car, become even more popular because of it's attractive pricing and 3 years free service offer. Does Chevy offer really offer free servicing for 3 years - I guess NO. They will give you six coupons, every time you go to service station you have to hand over one - so if you finish six coupons in one years time you are gone for a toss. Spark numbers are declining (4231 - Oct'09; 3477 - Jan'10; 3378 - Feb'10). I guess Chevy has it's own market/customer segment and with the launch of Beat Spark is loosing the base. Yes, Beat is now at the peak stage, we have to wait for few more months to see the saturation point. Like the case with i20 - its sales hovers between 4000-5000 units/month for last 5 months.

Interesting thing - now i10 (13833) is the new silver medal winner, Wagon R has slipped to 3rd place with 12827/month, but Swift is very close with 12341/month. May be this month Swift will become the bronze winner. Feb'10 data shows among the 15 top selling models 7 are from Maruti. Maruti still rocks.

I feel sorry about everybody's favourite Fiat - in the month of Feb sold only 2 Palio, GP is selling only in the range of 1200 - 1400 units/month, Linea figures coming down, sold 3 Fiat 500. Perfect example of how a good product gets ruined because of bad marketing policies. May be Fiat is a preferred brand here in the forum but people's choice is different.

Thanks Karpusv for the data.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Sales Data.xls (47.0 KB, 399 views)

Last edited by gaddiwale : 10th March 2010 at 23:58.
Old 11th March 2010, 00:00   #135
BHPian

Thanks vasudev and Karpusv
I would see that 3 series is taking the lead from c -class which was in lead while E class was down ,but now E class is taking the lead from 5 series .I would also notice that 7 series sales has dropped much it was around 45-50 along with S -class . I think new launches has made S-class to sell more than 7 series.
BMW should launch new variants in 7 series to take back the sale.

Most Viewed