Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2010, 22:49   #1
BHPian

Bs-iv Implementation-car Price Hike

I read this article in ET, reproducing for information,
Double whammy for auto buyers: Pay more from Apr for BS-IV- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Double whammy for auto buyers: Pay more from Apr for BS-IV
NEW DELHI: After the Budget triggering off a price increase in all models of automobiles, prospective buyers will be in for another jolt, as the

industry is set to jack it up again in April due to the implementation of the new emission norms--Bharat Stage IV.

Following the 2-per cent increase in excise duty on all non-oil products to 10 per cent from 8 per cent, auto players have already announced price hikes of up to Rs 70,000.

Come April, the industry will see another round of price hike as auto companies will pass on the cost incurred on upgrading to new emission norms of Bharat Stage (BS) IV in 13 cities and BS III in the rest of the country.

"There will be another round of price hike by the industry in April. It is a matter of concern but necessary because of the upgrade due to new emission norms," said Mahindra & Mahindra president for automotive sector Pawan Goenka, who is also the president of Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers.
Old 12th March 2010, 08:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which are the companies that are bringing out BS IV compliant vehicles? Like the new 1.2Punto, and the figo is also 1.2. Which are the sedans on the BS IV platform? Outlander has a sticker certifying BS IV but thts it.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:04   #3
BHPian

Most of Maruti's models like the Ritz, Swift, Eeco, SX4 and all are already BS4 compliant. Figo and Polo will directly come BS 4 compliant. Most of the top end luxury cars would already be Euro 4 compliant so they dont need any special changes to be done.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:22   #4
BHPian

i don't know if this is off-topic, but what about the existing cars which are not BS-IV compliant. Will those cars need to be fitted with some extra catalytic converter or something ??
Old 12th March 2010, 10:04   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpachigamer View Post
i don't know if this is off-topic, but what about the existing cars which are not BS-IV compliant. Will those cars need to be fitted with some extra catalytic converter or something ??
No. But there may be a problem in case of transfer to other metro city.
Old 12th March 2010, 10:05   #6
BHPian

What about INDICA V2 DLE, DLS models for BS-4 treatment?
Old 12th March 2010, 10:12   #7
BHPian

I had been to tata dealership yesterday. They confirmed that Nano is going to be BS IV compliant from April for identified markets. He however, did not have any idea about price hike. Currently, Nano is meeting BS III compliance.
Old 12th March 2010, 10:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
No. But there may be a problem in case of transfer to other metro city.
As far I know this will only affect new cars which are being registered in metros. This will not affect transfers of cars to metro.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:15   #9
BHPian

A quick query. Is Honda City BS-IV? One of the dealer in Delhi told me that BS-IV model will launched in First week on April, thats the reason we and other dealers are giving discounts. Once BS-IV City is launched, there will be a price hike of Rs25000 to Rs40000.

Is it true??
Old 12th March 2010, 11:29   #10
BHPian

Enforcement of Euro4 / BSIV regulation is set to come into effect from April 2010.
This will happen in stages though.
To start with, 11 cities will be covered under the Euro4 blanket.
Namely: Delhi/NCR , Mumbai, Kolkata Chennai, Bangalore, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad, Surat, Pune, Agra

What this means is, vehicle registered in the above mentioned cities from April'2010 onwards, will have to be Euro4 compliant.
So in order to cater to such customers, manufacturers will have to provide Euro4 compliant vehicles.

In the rest of the country however, Euro3 compliant vehicles can be sold and registered.

Therefore, regulations pertaining to Emission compliance are applicable to manufacturers and not directly to the customers.

With respect to existing vehicles (Euro3 or Euro2), there is no mandate till date, in India which requires customers to make their existing vehicles compliant to the new emission norms.

Delhi is the only case where comercial vehicles more that 15 yrs old (or is it 20) are not allowed to ply in the city.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbareilly View Post
A quick query. Is Honda City BS-IV? One of the dealer in Delhi told me that BS-IV model will launched in First week on April, thats the reason we and other dealers are giving discounts. Once BS-IV City is launched, there will be a price hike of Rs25000 to Rs40000.

Is it true??
then what about other cars, like the fiesta, ikon, cedia etc? will they stop selling them?

is it that the manufacturer cannot produce these cars or cannot sell non BS IV compliant cars in the said metros?
Old 12th March 2010, 11:41   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
then what about other cars, like the fiesta, ikon, cedia etc? will they stop selling them?

is it that the manufacturer cannot produce these cars or cannot sell non BS IV compliant cars in the said metros?
They cannot sell non BS-IV compliant vehicles in the said metros. AFAIK, the only vehicle that will not be made BS-IV compliant is the M800
Old 12th March 2010, 12:12   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adits View Post
They cannot sell non BS-IV compliant vehicles in the said metros. AFAIK, the only vehicle that will not be made BS-IV compliant is the M800
Apart from M800, I think even GM Tavera is not going to be Euro4 compliant till end of this year. So they too will not be able to sell in the mentioned 11 cities.

There are many vehicles to add like Mahindra Commander, Jeeps and others. However, most of their sales is in cities apart from the Tier-1 cities. So wouldnt make much of a difference.

As far as price of the Euro4 variant goes, last yeas Mahindra launched the Scorpio Vlx with a Eu4 engine and priced it only 10k more than the regular Eu3 Vlx.

So pricing is likely to be dependent on the volumes the individual models sells.
(My 2 words)
Old 12th March 2010, 12:39   #14
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed info karpusv. Hopefully many people with same kind of questions will get a quick relief after reading our reply. Since I had purchased Spark(BS-III compliant) in dec 2009, I was somewhat confused. But I am relieved now.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:02   #15
BHPian

The price hike is applicable only for vehicles which are not BS4 compliant now, and are planned to be upgraded. Recent cars are BS 4 compliant from beginning - maruti k12m/k10b, hyundai 1.2 kappa are already BS 4 compliant.

Most Viewed