Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2010, 20:41   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

4 days since the thread was started;Only 45 posts?

Compared to the interest Beat, Polo, Figo generated, this is lukewarm! I don't mean the Test Drive or Price scoop threads but even their respective picture scoops generated lot of interest.

I personally don't like the looks of the Micra, esp the rear. Ritz got company!
Old 5th March 2010, 20:59   #47
Senior - BHPian

The front styling looks cute to me. Particularly the headlights. But doesn't the car feel a lot compact in dimensions? I am talking about the green one in the first page. If the interiors are better packaged and put under 4L bracket then they could have a winner in their hands.

Frankly I feel this cannot be in the league of swift/punto/Ritz. Should be more in Santro/WagonR/Spark category.
Old 5th March 2010, 21:14   #48
BHPian

I personally don't like this new version. The older version of Micra was way better. My wife used to love it and was planning to buy one on its Indian launch. But now she is disappointed when I show her the new Micra pictures. The older version is more cute, it was big, more spacious and it looks like beetle.

This is more like A-star. I think they want to go for more smaller cars. They are anticipating smaller cars to grow in the world economy. That's why you hear so much about Nissan small car projects (with Bajaj and now with Ashok Leyland). I am sure they are looking for 3.5-4.5 price range in India (for petrol). I have read somewhere they are looking for 80% export market and 20% for Indian market. So its more focus on export rather than indian market.
Old 5th March 2010, 21:20   #49
BHPian

Did the car seem really small from the outside, or was it just me? They should place it directly against the Beat & i10. Some nice service plans like the Chevy & lots of options viz. auto & engine options would help. I'm really doubtful the car will be specced or built as promised due to the cost-cutting. But, if they plan to launch a hatchback, they had better roll up their sleeves & do some homework. It'll take quite some time for the general public to be responsive to the brand & vice versa.
Newer companies should always launch more than 1 car when entering in a new market IMO. It send across the message that they're serious & they're here to stay
Old 6th March 2010, 11:09   #50
Senior - BHPian

I feel the lack of interest is mainly due to the premium tag attached to Nissan and the lack of service centres in sufficient numbers. After all you can't expect a hatch owner to be driving 200 kms to get his car serviced. Even in a metro city like Chennai, AFAIK, they have only one showroom.

Last edited by longhorn : 6th March 2010 at 11:10.
Old 7th March 2010, 18:29   #51
BANNED

Another reason for the low interest is due to the 3 cylinder engine. People will buy a Ritz than a Micra !
Old 8th March 2010, 09:37   #52
BHPian

Actually, it has been technically proven that 3-cylinder engines of the same size are more fuel efficient than 4-cylinder engines. That is the reason why the shift is now towards 3-pots. BMW will also join this field as they have announced the 3-cyl hybrid in their Vision Efficient Dynamics concept. The only problem is with the NVH which most of the companies seem to have brought under control
Old 8th March 2010, 14:45   #53
BHPian

The car is actually much bigger than it looks, judging by the camouflaged versions seen around chennai city at night. Its extremely silent as well and 5 people seated inside looked quite comfortable and not cramped at all.

As for sales and service, there was news that by the time the car is launched in June, the number of dealerships will have increased rapidly. i think figures of 25 to 30 were quoted if im not mistaken.

Another point to note is that carlos ghosn is claiming a huge FE of 26kmpl. i dont think a ceo will make wild claims to the press without solid proof that the car is capable of that much if not more.

Finally, Nissan is known for its quality, reliability, features and fit&finish. So according to me, this is going to be the next BIG small car for india. Cant wait to check it out at a dealership.
Old 8th March 2010, 14:57   #54
BANNED

is it on display in the dealerships? I would like to see the car personally too! I have been waiting for nissan small cars for god know how long
Old 8th March 2010, 15:09   #55
BHPian

I actually like Nissan quite a lot. I used to own a Nissan Maxima some years ago and it was a really nice car - overall quality, engine and transmission. I am hearing conflicting views of if Nissan will introduce their CVT in India. I sure hope they do.
Old 8th March 2010, 15:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by good.car-ma View Post
...Another point to note is that carlos ghosn is claiming a huge FE of 26kmpl. i dont think a ceo will make wild claims to the press without solid proof that the car is capable of that much if not more.
I just hope its not like Bajaj's claim of 100 kmpl for their bikes which give around 60-70 kmpl. And while we are on the topic of 3 pot engines, suddenly the move started by Maruti of 3 cylinder one litre engines like K10B seems to have caught on like wildfire. This will give better FE but the down side is lower refinement levels. This is acceptable in the lower B segment, but people who are paying a 'premium' (read above 5 lakhs) may not be too happy with this.

Last edited by longhorn : 8th March 2010 at 15:25.
Old 8th March 2010, 15:44   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
This will give better FE but the down side is lower refinement levels.
The car seems pretty silent from the outside, hard to tell that the engine was even running. Others who have seen the test car at close quarters might back me up on that. As for the same experience while driving, we;l have to judge when its available to test drive i guess.

Read an article that there would be a diesel variant (tuned Logan engine shared with partner renault) but the CVT seems to be a topic for debate and no one seems to be able to predict which direction the company will take for india
Old 8th March 2010, 16:03   #58
BHPian

I can think of Nissan Micra only as a second car exclusively for city drive in lieu of my Honda Activa. Suddenly Tata Nano ( which I tried and got back the refund ) turns out to be an ugly frog!

Let it roll out and perhaps I may become car-borne all the time. Bye-bye two wheels.

Last edited by Ponmayilal : 8th March 2010 at 16:06.
Old 8th March 2010, 17:28   #59
Senior - BHPian

I respect Nissan for taking the initiative for making India as a global base especially for such an important model in the company's portfolio. We Indian's benefit from an up to date international design and the cost benefits associated with the export volumes.

Honda take note!!!
Old 9th March 2010, 09:09   #60
BHPian

Nissan most probably will be bringing the manual version only for now..The CVT might come if they find enough demand for the same..As far as Fuele fficiency is concerned, this might just snatch the tag from the A-Star (if not the Nano) as India's most fuel efficient small car. If Nissan put the K9K in the Micra, then that could be India's most efficient diesel small car as Arai now quotes
Closed Thread

Most Viewed