Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:04   #1
BHPian

New INR 2.5 Lakh Small Car: Nissan To Partner with Ashok Leyland ?

Name:  NissanNuvuConceptCar.png
Views: 54196
Size:  277.3 KB

Nissan has revealed at the Geneva Motor show 2010, that it is contemplating to produce a ultra low cost car on a JV with Ashok Leyland, proposing an attractive price tag of this mini car between Nano at the lower end and Swift at the upper end.

“We are studying the possibility of tying up with Ashok Leyland and some other manufacturers in China and Indonesia for a small car project,” Carlos Ghosn was quoted as saying to Indian reporters at the Geneva Auto Show.

What we might guess,the car might be similar to Nuvu concept revealed previously.

The two companies had formed a JV – Ashok Leyland Nissan Vehicles Pvt Ltd – in which the Ashok Leyland has 51 per cent stake and the rest is held by Nissan, to manufacture LCVs. The two firms had announced three JVs in 2007 for making LCVs, powertrains and developing technology, and gearing up a plant at Pillaipakkam near Chennai, ideating a total investment of Rs 2,300 crore.

Nissan finds India, enthralling to new low cost base and scotch orchestrating skills. As according to the Executive Vice President Colin Dodge of Nissan, Volkswagen or GM or Ford could not afford to produce Nano-like cars unless they have a JV with local firms already stipulated to low cost production. He also added, the Japanese and Europeans have lost the ability to go back to basics and engineer a low cost product for the masses.

Nissan is also a fellow partner along with Bajaj and Renault, to bring about a cheap car that is yet to kick off from their ideas into production.
So, soon we might expect a battle among Nano and it’s new rivals, but we are safe and lucky to get small cars with a good value for money.

Source :
New INR 2.5 Lakh Small Car: Nissan To Partner with Ashok Leyland ? | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:18   #2
BHPian

It is a pretty good move. IMO, they are not expecting to sell more than 100 a month. This is like a '10 avatar of Reva. I don't understand the concept behind partnering with Ashok Leyland. Both in terms of brand name, products developed and other aspects are miles apart.

Well, if Renault could partner with Mahindra, why can't Nissan with Ashok Leyland...!!
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:51   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is one ugly looking car. Looks like it is made out of jelly. If the production version of this car looks like that, they will have a hard time selling even 10 of those every month.

Indian Consumers can have much better looking cars at the 2.5 lakh range than this ugly duckling.
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:29   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow, that reminds me of the dough that my mom prepares before making chappathi. Cant there be one straight line atlest.
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:38   #5
BHPian

The long back news was that a similar small/budget (~1L) car would be manufactured by Bajaj Auto and marketed by Nissan in India.
Also, I remember reading in today's daily (THE HINDU) that Nissan partnering with AL only for some commercial trucks, not for small cars !

IMHO, car design is unique and people had a similar thought/comment (or worse) when Maruti 800 was launched around 2 decades back. I remember it was called Soap box ?

Prem.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:06   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Usually, when you partner with someone, you do so for a core competency. What is Ashok Leyland's competence in small cars? Or rather, for ANY car? Zilch

First Mahindra, then Bajaj and now Ashok Leyland. Mahindra was no more than a local tour guide for Renault, Bajaj we don't know and a marriage with Ashok Leyland is suspect. I think Renault is going to end up sleeping with everyone in the Indian automotive landscape, but end up with no successful offspring.

Why can't they choose one partner and make that relationship work? Atleast to me, this dilly-dallying shows a lack of focus. At the same time, in the small car market, Maruti, Hyundai, Tata and Chevy are razor sharp
Old 4th March 2010, 10:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

Extremely ugly looking car.

Also, what brand perception do we buyers have after a JV with a truck major like Ashok Leyland??

But the end line is that the car looks outright ugly. PERIOD!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks