Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2010, 10:02   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyro View Post
Everyone is saying that Honda got the pricing of Jazz wrong. Isnt it possible that the manufacturing cost is so high that this is best price they can offer. Will they deliberately kill a product by over pricing it. This is just a thought.
There is a premium which companies that have a 'brand' command over a price that would make the sale of the car profitable.

Each company has its own idea of how much premium it can command (or not command - For e.g., there is one bullock cart disguised as a MUV and called a Rhino. They'll not sell a single piece if they command a premium over competitors like Chevrolet Tavera, old Qualis'es and bullock carts. They have to take a cut in their profits to sell cars).

Honda has a skewed perception that it can command a huge premium and it can get away. The only thing that happened now (with Jazz) is that it got away, beaten black and blue - Serves them right. They had many incentives to price it lower in Indian context - Length < 4m, they specially made a 1.2L engine to get advantage of excise cuts, cut down on features (alloys, FATC etc)

Merc used to command a huge premium without providing many features before BMW and Audi came to India (Merc had a C180 without alloy wheels). Now, look at how quickly they bring the new cars, the gizmos they add and how they price it!

Honda has had a run without competition for long [City, CRV, Accord - Civic had a old Toyota for competition] - Previous city took a beating (that coincided with the end of its lifecycle) when SX4 was launched. However, ANHC truly has no competition when it comes to space, Engine power, refinement etc is considered. True, it lacks it features but Indian customers do not value gizmos that much (most of them!) - I hope VW Vento beats the cr@p out of ANHC (some people (like me) love the drama of an able newbie beating the bully on top)

Btw, I got an SMS yesterday telling that Jazz is available for 6.87L (50K off price) from Sundaram Honda. It is time for price corrections! (My post on Honda strategy has been discussed too much ) - Kneel, kneel, Sir Honda! (and eat a Bonda!) - Though art in India, aaaannnddd we'll teach you a lesson! Somebody's gonna hurt real bad... (a.la Russel Peters)

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 19th June 2010 at 10:05.
Old 21st June 2010, 11:57   #332
BHPian

Here is the latest ad of Honda Jazz in today's Times of India offering discount of 55,000/- on 1st Anniversary. This ad is similar what had appeared in Pune. They are talking about Jazz's Anniversary and not of the dealer.
[IMG]file:///F:/Desktop/Jazz%20Ahmedabad.png[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Honda JAZZ, FEB-2010 Sales 233. What's the way Forward for HONDA ?-jazz-ahmedabad.png  

Last edited by rutvij : 21st June 2010 at 11:58.
Old 21st June 2010, 12:16   #333
Senior - BHPian

Honda should surprise us even more (How about loading the car including a different engine). Keep up with surprises Honda ! People will start buying when it matches their expectations and they can find value in the offering.
Old 21st June 2010, 12:43   #334
Senior - BHPian

It says "over 3 million cars worldwide". I would ask "How many in India"? Did they manage 3000, barring the honeymoon period?
Old 21st June 2010, 13:02   #335
VMG
BHPian

Checked up with Sundaram Honda, Chennai. 55k discount not for Select model; it applies to only other models;
Insurace free for select model 8.30 OTR; othere models after discount 7.85 OTR; I fell it is still very expensive.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:08   #336
Senior - BHPian

Anyone notice that the ad has "Rear Parcel Tray" mentioned as a feature?

It is a standard feature on all hatches 3 lakhs and above. Honda stung by "you are el cheapo" criticism?
Old 21st June 2010, 13:30   #337
Senior - BHPian

Moreover frankly even if they manage to bring down the price by say 60K also, I dont think unless it is marketed well it would make any difference.
I have seen lot of people who appreciate the vehicle, yet they strike it out as an option right from day one, thinking it of being expensive.

Dont think if they keep changing the price its gonna make any difference. It has already earned the reputation of being too expensive.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:48   #338
BHPian

I don't know enough to agree or contradict the general sentiment on Honda Jazz and other cars in India, but I can tell you, Honda build their cars really well. Honda tops reliability indexes in the UK, and their cars usually better spec'ed are almost always more reliable than all premium German brands and they are streets ahead of the Ford/Fiat/Renualt models - in Europe anyway. How's Honda reliability in the harsh Indian roads?
Old 17th July 2010, 11:34   #339
Senior - BHPian

I've got a price of 7.25 on-road from Landmark Honda. some freebies like floor mats, polishing, protectors etc etc are thrown in for free. I might trade the plastic toys for a sun film though.

I hope the prices dont fall further.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 17th July 2010 at 11:37.
Old 17th July 2010, 17:00   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I've got a price of 7.25 on-road from Landmark Honda. some freebies like floor mats, polishing, protectors etc etc are thrown in for free. I might trade the plastic toys for a sun film though.

I hope the prices dont fall further.
Is this for regular version or selection version. In any case its a great price... Go for it.

BTW you must have cross checked with Emerald Honda what is their quote.

Last edited by rutvij : 17th July 2010 at 17:03.
Old 17th July 2010, 18:26   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
How's Honda reliability in the harsh Indian roads?
Honda and Toyota are very reliable in India. We have not heard of engine failures in either brands. Both skip features and command a premium over the competition. Hyundai is very close to them in terms of reliability. Feature-wise, this Korean brand beats all Japanese and European counterparts.

Ford has improved gradually over a long period in India. They are now focusing very hard at being a mass player and most steps seem to be in the right direction.

Euro brands are extreme, either they are reliable till you die or they are terrible enough to kill you. Currently, BMW and Mercedes recent ownership reports seem to be favorable in terms of reliability. Skoda... I suggest you use the search option.

As GTO always mentions "GOD bless competition". It has helped many manufactures to rethink on their offerings, price and not rely on badge value alone.
Old 17th July 2010, 19:29   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Is this for regular version or selection version. In any case its a great price... Go for it.

BTW you must have cross checked with Emerald Honda what is their quote.
I am very much tempted to get the illuminated scuff plates or whatever they are called but am afraid to lose them. Emerald Honda price was about 7.40. Somehow the salesperson at Emerald Honda tried desperately to speak in English even though he sucked at it. We used Gujarati to facilitate him which he didnt realize. I wasnt surprised when the Honda sales person said

'Sir, VW is small compare to Alto.Jazz and Corolla Same'

'Sir, I give you my card. My number is international. I have travel 8 countries and I am salesman of the year. Call me after 4 years and I will get you best resale on your Jazz.

'Honda Jazz was the first small car launched in India. Maruti copied the design and launched. Indian company dont know how to make cars.'

'Sir, Honda is low on maintainence. Our client bought 3 polo car. The car is at workshop for 6 months and parts not available. I give his number also.' I never got the number.

All this drama was at Emerald Honda. Fortunately at Landmark Honda I was spared the trouble and had a better experience.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 17th July 2010 at 19:30.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:57   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I am very much tempted to get the illuminated scuff plates or whatever they are called but am afraid to lose them. Emerald Honda price was about 7.40. Somehow the salesperson at Emerald Honda tried desperately to speak in English even though he sucked at it. We used Gujarati to facilitate him which he didnt realize. I wasnt surprised when the Honda sales person said

'Sir, VW is small compare to Alto.Jazz and Corolla Same'

'Sir, I give you my card. My number is international. I have travel 8 countries and I am salesman of the year. Call me after 4 years and I will get you best resale on your Jazz.

'Honda Jazz was the first small car launched in India. Maruti copied the design and launched. Indian company dont know how to make cars.'

'Sir, Honda is low on maintainence. Our client bought 3 polo car. The car is at workshop for 6 months and parts not available. I give his number also.' I never got the number.

All this drama was at Emerald Honda. Fortunately at Landmark Honda I was spared the trouble and had a better experience.
I used to own a honda and had very pleasant experience with Landmark Honda. Their sales as well as service staff is well mannered and have good knowledge of what they are doing. My previous Honda had gone for 3 major accidental repairs and at no point of time I had felt that I was at wrong place.
Old 19th July 2010, 20:46   #344
BHPian

I think I pretty happy understanding that the sales have fallen down for Honda. It's an ideal situation & a win for indian customer, & a reply back to Honda as an education for them to keep their pricing correct. They've been selling cars on outrageously high prices for that brand name. Not saying that the cars are not great, it's just that the pricing is way too incorrect.

Way to go indian automobile consumer!
Old 21st July 2010, 14:06   #345
Senior - BHPian

For those looking to book Jazz, Honda Alloy wheels are available for 10 grands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks