Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2010, 14:55   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Hello Bhpians,
I bought a Honda jazz about 2 months back.i noticed a distinct rattling sound from my Left boot area.we couldn't exactly locate it.i reported it to the dealer,and for some time the drive was smooth.Now again i hear the irritating noise,especially when i drive in unrubberised roads/a little bad road.i informed the dealer again,and his reply to me was"to drive for two more days,and then to tell him,exactly from where the noise is,and he would rectify it!".now if i knew from where the sound is,i would have never called him! Anyway i am giving it to the dealer tomorrow.let us see.Has any other Jazz owners noticed any rattling sound?
with regards
Even I also heard the same sound when I did a TD of Jazz. In fact when I heard it for the first time, I was seating in the left of back side of the car and the sound seemed to be coming from the rear left suspension.

Last edited by rutvij : 15th March 2010 at 14:57.
Old 15th March 2010, 16:04   #182
Senior - BHPian

Well first of all I too believe that Jazz is overpriced but Sid's comparison of Jazz with i20 or Punto diesel is not valid and the sales rep. could have defended the same.

If you look at Honda as a brand, I'm talking about Honda in India, its a premium brand and their petrol cars are priced similar or higher then other's diesel cars with similar specs.

e.g.
ANHC => Ford Fiesta Duratorq SXI
Civic => Chevrolet Cruz
CRV => Fortuner/Endeavour/Captiva

If I were the sales rep. this would be my answer!!
Why a costly Jazz?? I would say cause its Honda, its got better petrol engine compared to the competition, (leaving alone Ritz/Swift 1.2 K-Series as IMO they are B segment cars where as Jazz is B+), has better fit and finish, more space, Honda reliability, Low on ownership cost (long run), got 5 Star safety rating same as i20 in EURO NCAP so I should not worry about 6 airbags right?

Why not i20? Well cause its Hyundai!! Is Hyundai = Honda as a brand? I would say NO not here in India at least and there are already so many i20's running on the road. I want to own something different isn't it? Exclusivity

Why not Punto diesel? cause its Fiat and everyone know what it means when someone says he owns a Fiat!! I mean the brand image. And then comes the interior fit & finish which is virtually not there!! I own one and I'm very happy with it but for other reasons .

OT: By the way I got survey call from Fiat, and when they asked me if I would go for another Fiat? I said YES, until I find any other car fulfilling my list of must have and good to have in a car.

Why not Figo? or Polo? You must be kidding comparing these 2 to Jazz.
Old 15th March 2010, 18:18   #183
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYSO View Post
Well, Civic isnt doing too well, considering that it is 3rd in a market of only 3 or 4 players (Civic, Corolla, Cruze, Laura?0
You forget that the Civic also has a cheaper sibling : The Honda City. In the eyes of a regular car buyer, the Honda City (and I agree) is 90% Civic at 75% of the price. Want proof:

Civics average sales until Mid-2008 (for the previous 12 months) = 1,301 per month

Civics average sales immediately AFTER the launch of the ANHC (for the next 12 months) = 463 per month.

Its immediate competitor - Toyota - does not have a cheaper sedan that retails at 3 lakhs rupees less. Plus, Toyota offers a Corolla in the stripped down variant which is very popular with hotels. In the eyes of the C segment sedan buyer, there is definite overlap between the City & the Civic.

Quote:
Accord is also doing badly considering it is doing last 2nd in a market segment with only 2 players (Superb, Accord ----- not counting Camry since it is priced much higher).
Again, don't go by market position only. While the Accord has lost its lead in the 20 lakh segment, it is maintaining the SAME average sales per month. In fact, February @ 299 cars sold is the second best month for the Accord in the last 12 months. I don't see how the Accord is doing "badly" at all.

A car doesn't have to be the segment topper to be successful. Else, we'll have only 4 - 5 real success stories in the market.

Quote:
And then how many City owners over-pay for the car itself? I tend to believe (knowing many City owners) that they pay for the social status that comes with owning the car.
I don't think they are over-paying at all. The City more than pays for itself in the ownership experience, and in the long run. We've discussed this to death in other threads, please search.
Old 15th March 2010, 19:52   #184
BHPian

Aam Janta Ya Daam Janta...?

My two cents...

Everybody does their homework at some level before investing their green stacks of valuable paper.

IMO Jazz lacks in a marketing strategy and a complete disaster on behalf of their customer targeting radar. Whom do we want to sell this hatch to? Aam Janta? Ya Daam Janta? Certainly "Daam Janta" is the call they made.

Honda did it with the CRV as well. Rs. 22 Lacs for a PETROL 4x4, I added Rs. 3 lacs to it and got me a DIESEL 4x4 Pajero. Jazz turns out to be just a bully snarling it's money seeking missile at a much smaller target (Daam Janta) who will fall prey to a 'premium' hatch.

Well for the Aam Janta like us we're well flared with a variety of cost effective counter measures (Other hatch options) in the market.

It's just not the pricing anymore. IMO Jazz just bloops the overall appeal bubble to the naked eye and to top it up the pricing doesn't help lather 'n froth the soapy solution of our hatch market. Jazz is something more than a hatchback in Honda's point of view. But on an Indian plate full of hatches there is something more the end user wants for the extra premium.

For the love of the 'premium' tag ... with a 1.2 i-VTEC under the bonnet and the seven sacks of money demanded...it is simply blasphemy for most Aam Janta. Sure, I can get a 1.8 S used Civic for a couple of sacks more now wouldn't I? Honda probably didn't calculate their own mid-range products assesment value in the seconds/used market while placing the Jazz in the right spot. Either let Aam Janta buy the 'THOROUGHBRED' used product or place the new product such that people will opt for your new hatch . But, don't ever confuse them with the pricing.

In India, when the first launch is a failure it is very difficult to turn around and convince the customer for the second revamped launch. Hope Honda has some magical drawing board that can turn a sling into a rocket launcher!
Old 15th March 2010, 21:15   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
... got 5 Star safety rating same as i20 in EURO NCAP so I should not worry about 6 airbags right?...
Both the 5 star rated models of jazz and i20 have the side curtain airbags. Its not that the i20 got 5 stars with 6 airbags and the jazz got the same 5 stars with just the front two airbags.
Old 15th March 2010, 22:21   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Both the 5 star rated models of jazz and i20 have the side curtain airbags. Its not that the i20 got 5 stars with 6 airbags and the jazz got the same 5 stars with just the front two airbags.
Oh yeah, my bad. Jazz with front airbags got 4 stars. Thanks for correcting me
Old 15th March 2010, 22:39   #187
Senior - BHPian

Euro NCAP - For safer cars | Honda Jazz

Anyway, not sure where the thread itself is going.

Last edited by srishiva : 15th March 2010 at 22:40.
Old 15th March 2010, 22:51   #188
Senior - BHPian

Rattling issues.

Two guys have complained about rattling sounds in brand new Jazz'es. How come no one has anything to say about this? Are we blind to this because it is a Honda? A whole forum is devoted to rattling sounds in Swifts but we are silent about Jazz rattling. Why?
Old 15th March 2010, 22:55   #189
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You forget that the Civic also has a cheaper sibling : The Honda City. In the eyes of a regular car buyer, the Honda City (and I agree) is 90% Civic at 75% of the price. Want proof:

Civics average sales until Mid-2008 (for the previous 12 months) = 1,301 per month

Civics average sales immediately AFTER the launch of the ANHC (for the next 12 months) = 463 per month.
Ehh.. I never thought of it this way.. I always thought that Civic sales went down (from average ~1300 to average ~450) on the launch of the new Corolla Altis (from average ~350? to average ~900?) in Sept 2008. But indeed, you have a point. ANHC was also released in Sept 2008. However, I am also not clear why the NHC iVTEC didnt eat into Civic sales (why only the ANHC iVTEC eats into Civic sales)!

Anyways, you are just saying that ANHC is a more desirable buy for Indian customers than Civic. Which is also what I was saying ---> that Civic is not so much a desired car in the Indian auto market!

Quote:
Its immediate competitor - Toyota - does not have a cheaper sedan that retails at 3 lakhs rupees less. Plus, Toyota offers a Corolla in the stripped down variant which is very popular with hotels. In the eyes of the C segment sedan buyer, there is definite overlap between the City & the Civic.
i20 already beats the Jazz hands down.
Will it be fair to use the same logic to say that i20 would beat Jazz even way farther, if i20 (petrol) didn't have a cheaper sibling (i10) with which it even shares an engine?

Quote:
I don't think they are over-paying at all. The City more than pays for itself in the ownership experience, and in the long run. We've discussed this to death in other threads, please search.
I don't think the average City customer goes by such analytical / quantitative reasoning while buying; rather they go to a large extent by "social reasoning" ---> maximise social prestige / social aspiration to break out of the bottom 80% (hatchback) market (which is the characteristic of C-segment in India, IMHO).

Anyways, I was primarily trying to say that Honda's premium pricing is not reflected in the desirability that Indian auto market has for Honda cars (except City) ---> and this is reflected in Honda's inability to sell in the Indian auto market. So, Honda has to come up with new strategies.
Old 15th March 2010, 23:18   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Even I also heard the same sound when I did a TD of Jazz. In fact when I heard it for the first time, I was seating in the left of back side of the car and the sound seemed to be coming from the rear left suspension.
Hey, I have also bought a new Honda Jazz and face the same rattling sound - left side of the boot. I called the honda guys to check it and they confirmed the sound. They checked all the small openings in the car, but could not find anything amiss.

they now want the car in the garage to have it checked out thoroughly. I am currently short of time and hence did not drop the car. But I am actually a bit unnerved to hear that others are also facing this problem. These are the kind of things that you do not expect when you pay 8+ lakhs for a car and especially if its a honda. Were you guys able to sort it out? Please guide me so that I can approach the honda guys accordingly.
Old 15th March 2010, 23:21   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Two guys have complained about rattling sounds in brand new Jazz'es. How come no one has anything to say about this? Are we blind to this because it is a Honda? A whole forum is devoted to rattling sounds in Swifts but we are silent about Jazz rattling. Why?
Its cause there is hardly anyone "Authorized" meaning owning or knows someone who owning one to confirm the same
Old 16th March 2010, 00:14   #192
BHPian

JAzz is a very nice /well put together car expect for the price ! It ticks many boxes for a urban buyer be it the interior space,drivability,FE .
GTO do u think the jazz would have sold more if it was offered with more features say like the i20 .?
People who have bought the i20 asta petrol would have defenitely had the jazz in their minds but would have bought the former when they compare the features.
IMO if it had 6 airbags , a better ICE, sunroof , alloys and foglamps at the same price, Jazz would have sold double what it has now !
Old 16th March 2010, 12:05   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude
Hello Bhpians,
I bought a Honda jazz about 2 months back.i noticed a distinct rattling sound from my Left boot area.we couldn't exactly locate it.i reported it to the dealer,and for some time the drive was smooth.Now again i hear the irritating noise,especially when i drive in unrubberised roads/a little bad road.i informed the dealer again,and his reply to me was"to drive for two more days,and then to tell him,exactly from where the noise is,and he would rectify it!".now if i knew from where the sound is,i would have never called him! Anyway i am giving it to the dealer tomorrow.let us see.Has any other Jazz owners noticed any rattling sound?
with regards
There was a rear left side sound in my Jazz also, but only perceptible to the rear seat occupant in bad roads. Also it was not consistent.I got it checked by Honda Service which checked the vehicle thoroughly. They checked the rear seat, adjusted the rear left door - then took me for a test drive on a bad road stretch.
I haven't / the rear occupants haven't complained of any noise since then - even on my trip from Dehradun to Chandigarh which included bad roads hilly terrain ,et all.
Will now pay special attention to any irregular sound and inform when it comes.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:36   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh
Launched some variant called select edition or something and do you want to know what exactly you get in this 1) Mud flap 2) Parcel tray and 3) New design alloy wheels.
Does this Select edition come at an even higher price or the existing price ? Also, while the alloys is good and even the parcel tray is understandable, mudflaps ? Isn't that something that comes standard on all cars ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amulu10
do u think the jazz would have sold more if it was offered with more features say like the i20 .? IMO if it had 6 airbags , a better ICE, sunroof , alloys and foglamps at the same price, Jazz would have sold double what it has now !
While the i20 surely is selling well, how many of those are the top-end version ? Pretty less, I would think. I don't think features or the lack of it is stopping Jazz sales. Price is the factor here, and the limited differential between the Jazz and the City prices.
Old 16th March 2010, 12:59   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Does this Select edition come at an even higher price or the existing price ?
From the honda site, the select edition comes at around INR 10000 more than the base version.
Seems like a good deal to get alloys.

Btw, the Honda Jazz has become all the more pricier. Ex-showroom in Mumbai is now 7.56 which was earlier 7.43 - Honda Car Prices India | Own a Honda in India | Honda Car costs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks