Team-BHP - Do you fall easily to new launch hype/euphoria
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Do you fall easily to new launch hype/euphoria (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/76691-do-you-fall-easily-new-launch-hype-euphoria.html)

Thought of starting this thread after some observations regarding new car launches.

What i see is that broadly there are two categories of buyers:

Category 1. Those who latch on to any new car launch like hot cakes, because of the novelty factor and the hype surrounding it. Unfortunately a lot of times the car in the long run does not do quite well, and these buyers are the ones who suffer the most. But as i said, this does not happen always. (Please note i am not taking into consideration pre launch-reviews in media/internet but actual performance of the car in the market).

Category 2. Then there is the other category of people who wait for the car sales to settle down after the initial euphoria is over, make judgment in accordance with various long term reviews and discussing with friends/colleagues/general perception and only when the vehicle has proven itself that they take the plunge.

Personally i belong to category 2, but sometimes i do think that a certain level of "uncertainty" excites the kid in me and tempted to latch on to a newly launched car without worrying if the vehicle has proven itself or not.

Would like to know in which category YOU find yourself in. :)

Tricky thread. As you mentioned everyone IMO falls onto 2nd category but sometimes they like first category also. It is very difficult to say which category. If long term is the question then it is 2nd category. If new car you are looking for then 1st category

LOL.

Was in Category 1 till June 2002, when i bought my Enfield Thunderbird. stupid:

Have been in Cat 2 since then. Bought my Getz Crdi in Sept 2009 *after* they stopped production and sales lol:

With a string of new launches, this topic actually crossed my mind this morning when one of my colleagues asked me for a hatch recommendation. He had first shortlisted Punto, Jazz. Then comes the Beat, Figo and the Polo. It can't get crazier. Then, we decided to wait for some more time to check on some real-time ownership reviews. Seriously, it is tempting to lay hands on a brand new launched car.

But I truly belong to the 2nd category. To me a product should be tested properly in the market not only by the manufacturers but also the customers. I would even go further and look for a used car since its been tested and has passed the run-in period to be ripped in all its glory :D

Voted No. Although not looking for a car right now, however, had I not been a member of TBHP, I would have fallen prey to these gimmicks. I had recently discovered my passion for cars, LOL!. But now, I would surely wait for an official review in TBHP before investing.
The novelty factor is very time bound.

Somebody has to buy the car first. We can't always be waiting for others to buy it and review it. And since car buying decisions happen within a specific time frame for many i.e. I need the car by the next month, the decision isn't easy.

Do you buy that new unproven car that seems better but in reality is not as good a car in the long run?

Or do you buy that proven product and end up spending your money on an inferior model despite having a chance to choose the other?

I have wanted to buy every car that was about to be launched by looking at the scoop pics and the discussions that followed. :D

But I am still sticking with my 9yr old M800.

That probably makes me fall into category 2. But one gets tempted by initially.

Same thing is happening to me now.
I am very happy with my swift VXi.
Very much tempted to buy the new Ford figo diesel titanium.
I can't buy a sedan because of parking space in my apartment:Frustrati
But being a T-BHPian better sense will prevail and I will fall into the second category.:)

Although I've voted yes, the two cars I have bought in the last six months have come home very close to their launch. Do I see a trend forming? Ha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjaykk (Post 1764804)
I have wanted to buy every car that was about to be launched by looking at the scoop pics and the discussions that followed. :D

But I am still sticking with my 9yr old M800.

That probably makes me fall into category 2. But one gets tempted by initially.

me too, same here.

But i am also in NEW third category. Sometimes I criticize the newly launched car, rather go on a fault finding mission :D

I talk "blah blah" or go "ga ga" over new car launched, after some days, wait for new car launch again cycle repeats.
Whatever new car comes, time being happily driving Zen :)

It is not about falling easy prey to hype. For me, its about
1. First few to own the car - gives such great exclusivity(for a brief period), you get curious looks, people walking up to inquire. I basically love the attention.
2. Buying the latest available in the market. I would generally not buy something thats been out in the market for 2 - 3 yrs now, unless there isnt anything new coming up in that segment or if its an urgent buy.

If I like the car, the brand, I would put my money on a newly launched car - hype or no hype for it. Ex - Cruz.

hmmm IMO everyone (including me) who is looking for a long term car would like to be in the category 2.

having said that i was just wondering which category I would fit in when a car, that is, tried and tested abroad gets launched in India at a much later date than its foreign counterpart.

Everyone gets excited about upcoming launches but when it comes about owning a new product guess people like to play safe unless its suzuki or a honda.personally i am on the verge of booking a new hatchback,to choose between figo or polo.the 2 being developed on well proven platforms and have recieved good reviews in europe(polo, old gen fiesta) i wouldnt be too much bothered about buying a new product.This wont be reccomended for a first time buyer though.

All that matters to me is the CAR, i dont care a bit about its commercial success.

Do you take the road not traveled at all? You're the buyer of the latest car. I think there're certain kind of people who buy the latest models for various reasons. Doesn't always mean hype influence. If the model works in the market, you've got an additional boost on your judgment and even if it doesn't, you've been the owner of a latest car. Win-win eh? I believe that everyone has their triggers. If that is activated, they go for the kill/buy/sell.