Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 21:43   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Someone please post the pics and confirm this.
There are actually 2 Mercs. 1 CLK convertible and 1 W203 modified to look like the CLK.

All normal scenes use the CLK...and the action and chase scenes where the car gets smashed, they bring out the W203 which has a chopped roof, blanked out rear door handles and aftermarket Taiwan (CLK) tailight stuck on. You can still see the seam of the rear door however.

Last edited by Mpower : 7th November 2010 at 21:55.
Old 7th November 2010, 22:26   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The Mercedes in Robot is a CLK allright. It cant be a chopped C class as the car is a definite 2+2 seater. But at the same time its a bit odd. IMHO i think its a pre 2003 CLK where the grill and the rear lamps were borrowed from the W210 E class. The car in question may have been face and tail lifted. The front grill remains of the older gen CLK but they have incorporated the lights from the newer gen (post 2003) C class. (the grill in the said car stands out whereas the CLK of this year would have a gentle sloping smooth bonnet lines incorporating the grille. So also the rear lights are from the newer CLK which resemble the ones from the W211 E Class. I think i noticed this flaw in the car. I cant find picture on the net, maybe someone can find and post them. I remember one distinct scene where Rajnikanth drives the car and screeches to a halt exposing the front, side and the rear of the car.

Someone please post the pics and confirm this.

Another thing is that they have some kind of kit on the car on the front bumper and on the rear door, some kind of bulging air dam or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
There are actually 2 Mercs. 1 CLK convertible and 1 W203 modified to look like the CLK.

All normal scenes use the CLK...and the action and chase scenes where the car gets smashed, they bring out the W203 which has a chopped roof, blanked out rear door handles and aftermarket Taiwan (CLK) tailight stuck on. You can still see the seam of the rear door however.
Never saw the car so intricately.Thought that when they are spending crores the car would be a single and genuine CLK. The number plate read TN 09 BB 1111 in scenes where it was legible.
Do they use different number plates for the different cars?
Old 8th November 2010, 00:24   #78
Senior - BHPian

There was one genuine CLK for sure. Don't know what the other merc was, originally. One thing I noticed was that it had only one wiper for the front windshield. Here are the two different 'rears' shown in the movie. Both cars were plated as TN 09 BB 11.

Here's the CLK cabrio,(2nd pic) which sported the same alloys.
Attached Thumbnails
Interesting cars seen in recent Bollywood Movies-mercedesbenzclkclasscabrioletrearfullscreen.jpg  

Interesting cars seen in recent Bollywood Movies-mercedesbenz_w211_black_amg_style.jpg  

Last edited by DRIV3R : 8th November 2010 at 00:25.
Old 8th November 2010, 08:02   #79
BHPian

In Three Idiots movie Chatur shows the pic of brand new lambo which is the phased out Diablo.
Old 29th June 2011, 18:14   #80
Senior - BHPian

re: Interesting cars seen in recent Bollywood Movies

Interesting cars seen in recent Bollywood Movies-i375694.jpg

Interesting cars seen in recent Bollywood Movies-tr015824c11.jpg

All of you are either blind or need to hand in your automobile enthusiast badges revoked

It's a BYD F8 for god's sake ! Those air scoops before the rear wheels are a dead giveaway
greenhorn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 19:01   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

@greenhorn, no wonder you are a distinguished teambhpian, thanks a lot for this,always wondering why it didn't match up or make sense. Now it really makes sense.
Actually shame that no one else has found this earlier.
Old 29th June 2011, 20:08   #82
BHPian

In the yesteryear Malayalam movies, the kidnapper's vehicle of choice was the Maruti Omni.
I cant count in how many movies I have seen this kidnapping manoeuvre -

1. Slowly & silently line up the car some 30 meters behind the victim
2. Look at the target and confirm identity
3. Gun the engine (preferably with wheel-spin and smoking tires) and head for the unsuspecting target
4. Screech to a halt beside the victim, as the car is stopping, the sliding doors are already opened
5. Before the victim even has a clue what is happening, powerful arms reach out and grab him/her into the car. (preferably followed up with chloroform to subdue the target)
6. Sliding door slammed shut and the car races away!

Nowadays the Omni has almost disappeared from the limelight
Old 29th June 2011, 21:30   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah, it was the rage all through the late 80s to the whole 90s and subdued with the arrival of the MUVs, now mostly Sumo,Qualis,Tavera,Scorpio which does the role.
Guess it was the same all over the Indian film industry, not only mollywood.
Remember that my mother used to say that Omni was briefly banned in Mumbai,Delhi due to use by the underworld, don't know how much of that is true.!!!
Old 29th June 2011, 22:19   #84
AVR
BHPian

Quite the opposite of what was discussed in this thread happened in a Feroz Khan movie where he pretty much totals a brand new Merc in a scene. Got to give it to him for maintaining authenticity by not having any transitions into ambassadors or anything else. I believe he actually used a new one.

Anyone remember the movie?
Old 29th June 2011, 22:58   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Was watching Jillunu Oru Kaadhal [Tamil] a couple of days back, where Suriya works as a Maruti engineer [mechanic]. In couple of scenes, he drives a fully loaded red swift from office and reaches his home in a red swift which has black ORVMs !!
Old 29th June 2011, 23:05   #86
Senior - BHPian

In all the shakeela movies that I've watched, no matter what bike is on screen, the sound is that of an RX 100
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2011, 23:58   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Quite the opposite of what was discussed in this thread happened in a Feroz Khan movie where he pretty much totals a brand new Merc in a scene. Got to give it to him for maintaining authenticity by not having any transitions into ambassadors or anything else. I believe he actually used a new one.

Anyone remember the movie?
That would be Qurbani. Where he smashes up a pristine W115 for the scene. Sad sight that is.

Funnily, that very car is claimed to be for sale, i wonder how!! (on closer inspection, the numbers are different!!)

mercedes 115 of QURBANI film of AMJAD KHAN - Delhi: Cars in Delhi at Quikr Delhi

If it werent for the mad car destruction frenzy in bollywood in the 70's and 80's we would have had so much more classics in the country!
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2011, 10:12   #88
Team-BHP Support

That scene is a rip off from "The Driver" starring Ryan O'Neal. In that case, they use a Merc w108
Old 30th June 2011, 10:40   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
If it werent for the mad car destruction frenzy in bollywood in the 70's and 80's we would have had so much more classics in the country!
Agree with you a lot,they seemed to have lots of cheap import on hand to do such and that too at a time when car ownership was a lot lesser, and nowadays even with much higher number of cars you don't get too see such chases or car crashings on films.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That scene is a rip off from "The Driver" starring Ryan O'Neal. In that case, they use a Merc w108
Roger that, ripped from classic "The Driver", if am not wrong, a 80s Rajni film also had the same 'merc destruction' scene.
Old 1st July 2011, 14:34   #90
Senior - BHPian

GamesGoblin, Not only is this true in Malayalam movies, but also true in real life. During the late 1980s and early 1990s, the Omni was THE vehicle used for kidnappings by the ULFA and friends during the insurgency years in Assam. Also, the RX100 was the "shoot-kill-disappear" bike by the same gang. The reason for the success of the Omni as a kidnap vehicle was exactly its ability to perform the manoeuvres you just described. Also, the sliding doors REALLY WORK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
In the yesteryear Malayalam movies, the kidnapper's vehicle of choice was the Maruti Omni.
I cant count in how many movies I have seen this kidnapping manoeuvre -

1. Slowly & silently line up the car some 30 meters behind the victim
2. Look at the target and confirm identity
3. Gun the engine (preferably with wheel-spin and smoking tires) and head for the unsuspecting target
4. Screech to a halt beside the victim, as the car is stopping, the sliding doors are already opened
5. Before the victim even has a clue what is happening, powerful arms reach out and grab him/her into the car. (preferably followed up with chloroform to subdue the target)
6. Sliding door slammed shut and the car races away!

Nowadays the Omni has almost disappeared from the limelight

Most Viewed