Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2011, 15:46   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Interesting cars seen in recent Bollywood Movies

To be fair, it's not just Bollywood that makes these gaffes. "The Road to 9/11" was a two-part ABC telefilm, much hyped (initially) by the channel as being THE MOST authentic depiction of historical events unfolding up to the Twin Towers plane-crashes of September 11, 2001. I don't know if it was ever shown in India- I watched it almost-live in Singapore.

The "most authentic" claim took a severe beating (in my eyes) when all the street shots featuring Kenya and Pakistan showed LHD vehicles driving on the right! I asked my friend, if they can't get that right do you really believe the rest of it (so-called deep insights into Al Qaeda and the CIA and what not!)

My friend looks at me and says, that's not such a big deal- the rest of it is probably true!

Where's a fellow BHPian when you need one!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2011, 16:14   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The "most authentic" claim took a severe beating (in my eyes) when all the street shots featuring Kenya and Pakistan showed LHD vehicles driving on the right! I asked my friend, if they can't get that right do you really believe the rest of it (so-called deep insights into Al Qaeda and the CIA and what not!)
.........where's a fellow BHPian when you need one!
Most of these documentaries do not look at such matters as most of them do not know a thing about cars and in this aspect to the Americans except UK,Japan all the rest of the world should drive on the right side,which they say is 'right'.
But they look at the subject more than the setting. Even the car focused Fast and Furious shows unexpected cars coming up in unexpected locales.
Old 1st July 2011, 22:39   #93
BHPian

This is one hilarious thread.

I saw Robot recently. In some scenes, its a real CLK. And in some, its a pre-2005 C-Class with its roof chopped off.

Another goof up is in the movie Life Partner where Fardeen Khan drives a Jag XK Convertible on the air-strip while racing with the plane. At the end of the runway where the handbrake turn is done, the car transforms into a Nissan 350Z that looks TOTALLY different from a Jag.

W.O.W.
Old 1st July 2011, 23:06   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya666 View Post
This is one hilarious thread.
I saw Robot recently. In some scenes, its a real CLK. And in some, its a pre-2005 C-Class with its roof chopped off.
@greenhorn had already told that it was a BYD F8 and not a proper Merc.
Old 2nd July 2011, 00:03   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
@greenhorn had already told that it was a BYD F8 and not a proper Merc.
Oh. I seemed to have missed that.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:06   #96
BHPian

Wow, I am always pleasantly surprised at the threads on TBHP.

And I thought I was the only one pointing out flaws and faults as a kid to everybody around during movies.

Two that I remember right off the hat are:

1. The opening scene in 'Tashan' where the red car being driven by the male protagonists Saif and Akshay goes over a cliff. The car on the road was different and even ad different regn plates than the one going over the cliff.

2. Amitabh's bike in Shahenshah changes from a Bullet to a RD 350 but only for a song with Meenakshi Sheshadri; still remember all the smoke billowing from those two exhausts.

Many more, like the one e.g. pointed out for Housefull's Lancer etc., most movies which are shot on location abroad and need touch-ups or add-ons locally or later are plugged in with similar looking India cars or even sorry looking regn plates.

Now I know the place to jot them all down.
Old 12th July 2011, 22:26   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
To be fair, it's not just Bollywood that makes these gaffes. "The Road to 9/11" was a two-part ABC telefilm, much hyped (initially) by the channel as being THE MOST authentic depiction of historical events unfolding up to the Twin Towers plane-crashes of September 11, 2001. I don't know if it was ever shown in India- I watched it almost-live in Singapore.

My friend looks at me and says, that's not such a big deal- the rest of it is probably true!

Where's a fellow BHPian when you need one!
Dude, out there the 9/11 part is most important. While dealing with such a serious topic, would someone really bother about such trivial details or attempt to please auto enthusiasts?!!!

Last edited by Jayabusa : 12th July 2011 at 22:27.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:09   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Dude, out there the 9/11 part is most important. While dealing with such a serious topic, would someone really bother about such trivial details or attempt to please auto enthusiasts?!!!
But if it was authentic as it seemed to bring out then they would have shot it in Pakistan or Kenya or at least made sure that the set would resemble the original place.
What if to show some ordinary place in the USA without any landmarks they filmed in Australia with American looking or neutral Japanese cars, but with the traffic RHD?
Old 1st August 2011, 23:56   #99
Senior - BHPian

Watched Delhi Belly recently and was quite intriqued by the red hatch that Irman drives.

First glance I did not recognize it but it looks like a Gen1 Santro with Gen2-type1 M800 headlight lights (sealed beam) and gen1 Scorpio tailiights.

I wonder whats the point of this exercise and if anyone else is doing this on the road.
Old 2nd August 2011, 00:26   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Watched Delhi Belly recently and was quite intriqued by the red hatch that Irman drives.

First glance I did not recognize it but it looks like a Gen1 Santro with Gen2-type1 M800 headlight lights (sealed beam) and gen1 Scorpio tailiights.

I wonder whats the point of this exercise and if anyone else is doing this on the road.
Was wondering the same thing.

And the best part is, it was *supposedly* a new car!
Old 27th August 2011, 17:53   #101
Senior - BHPian

Re: Interesting cars seen in recent Bollywood Movies

Watching 'Thank You'. When Sunil Shetty is caught by his wife Celina Jaitley in a hotel room in Canada, he gets out of the hotel, gets into an orange-red Laura/Superb (could not recognise) from the right side and drives away after crashing into an Audi while reversing.
Until now I did not know that Skoda sells cars in Canada, that too RHD ones!
Old 27th August 2011, 18:14   #102
BHPian

Quote:

Since the whole point of having the car in the movie was to ridicule it, it was quite natural that they did not want to use a real car. Particularly a car that is available in the market.
burnt. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2011, 11:48   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Was wondering the same thing.
And the best part is, it was *supposedly* a new car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
Since the whole point of having the car in the movie was to ridicule it, it was quite natural that they did not want to use a real car. Particularly a car that is available in the market.
It was probably to avoid any controversies with Hyundai. Additionally, if you remember, the Hyundai Santro ad campaign features SRK.
Old 29th August 2011, 17:51   #104
Senior - BHPian

Happened to watch 'AISHA'. Noticed a red 'Thar' like jeep at the rafting spot. Upon close inspection, it seems like a imported Wrangler.

Also noticed that that the yellow beetle driven by the gal is 'LHD'. Wonder how (and why) it made it into the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
Since the whole point of having the car in the movie was to ridicule it
Not sure about this. The car didn't look funny at all. To someone not into cars, it just looks like a old Maruti 800. They could have just used a Maruti instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
It was probably to avoid any controversies with Hyundai. Additionally, if you remember, the Hyundai Santro ad campaign features SRK.
OK, this makes sense, although I wonder if its really such a big deal? Plus I'm sure Aamir would love to take a dig at SRK.
Old 30th August 2011, 09:16   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
OK, this makes sense, although I wonder if its really such a big deal? Plus I'm sure Aamir would love to take a dig at SRK.
Check this out:

Link 1

Link 2

They did consider legal action. Not really sure if there was any further news out of this affair.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks