Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 23:41   #1
BHPian

Ford Fiesta Hatchback for India ?

After Figo, is Ford looking to bring in Fiesta Hatchback to India ?
Courtesy : Wheels unplugged dated 6/march/2010

Ford Fiesta Hatchback for India ?-5902.jpg

It seems Ford is not ready to rest on its laurels with the soon-to-be-launched Figo in the small car segment. Of late, there is a lot of buzz in the auto industry circles that the Indian arm of the American auto giant is going up a step further in the compact car segment by rolling out the new generation Fiesta hatchback which is already available in the European markets.

Ford Fiesta Hatchback for India ?-5904.jpg

Even though Ford India has not officially announced it, the company had earlier indicated it would launch a new product every 12 or 18 months. If launched in the Indian market, it would be pitted against Honda Jazz, which is positioned in the same segment. It is widely believe that Ford would like to manufacture the proposed model with a high level of indigenisation. A blogsite claims that Ford is currently involved in early vendor identification for the project, which it is betting will bring in much needed volumes.

Ford Fiesta Hatchback for India ?-5905.jpg

However when the spokesperson was contacted, she denied to offer any comments. She stated, “At the moment, we are just focussing on Figo. And as a company policy, “We don’t comment on our future product launches. What I can tell you right now is that we don’t have any near-term plans to roll out Fiesta hatchback. As and when, we firm up our plans, we will make an announcement.”

It is to be mentioned that Ford’s overseas Fiesta model is one of the most successful small cars sold in the world, with over 12 million units (in seven generations) sold since its launch in 1976. The Ford Fiesta is a front wheel drive subcompact/supermini car manufactured and marketed by the Ford Motor Company and built in Europe, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Venezuela, China, India and South Africa. The model is marketed worldwide, including Japan, Australasia and the Americas. Starting 2010, the sixth generation (Mark VI) Fiesta is also available in the United States (starting January) and Canada (starting March), making it the first Fiesta model to be sold in North America since 1978–80

Name:  5903.bmp
Views: 9172
Size:  38.6 KB

(sorry for the unclear images)

Last edited by bnzjon : 6th March 2010 at 23:47.
Old 6th March 2010, 23:53   #2
BHPian

I guess Mustang.101 mentioned that both Fiesta 2010 and Fiesta 2010 Hatchback are in the pipeline and can be expected by 2010 end or 2011 Q1.

Figo will be at the heart of the hatchback segment while Fiesta 2010 hatch will be a premium hatch offering from Ford. I guess it will be positioned alongside i20 or between i20 and Jazz.

IMHO, both Fiesta 2010 hatch and sedan are very exciting and well acclaimed models and can take Ford to much greater heights in the Indian market.
Old 6th March 2010, 23:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

frankly i don't think so this will happen.
the hatch looks ages ahead compared to our fiesta.
What i feel ford will do is.
release the new sedan version of the Fiesta and gradually release this hot hatch.
or
like all other companies(almost all)
release this hatch with a new name and an added price tag.
Old 7th March 2010, 00:36   #4
BHPian

hmmm. Not another thread for this car please!!! There are so many threads on the forum regarding the topic.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ing-india.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...d-testing.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-revealed.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ce-online.html

Most Viewed