Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Maruti Swift VDI ABS 174 33.92%
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium 339 66.08%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 16:22   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshurao View Post
I personally got the swift just for the sheer pleasure of driving compared to any other car available in the market in that segment in 2007. Things are changing now.
They sure are changing! I started off wanting to buy a Swift for that pleasure and fun to drive factor, found it missing, and found exactly that thrill in Figo. Not for nothing they say Ford cars are among the most fun-to-drive, with the sharp and responsive steering.

So.. to a guy who regularly goes above 120kmph, Swift (or Punto) is definitely a better choice. But to a guy who rarely or never does those speeds, but wants plenty of thrills driving at normal speeds, Figo is the better of the two. In short, to each his own

But IMHO Figo wins because of the sheer value-for-money factor!
Old 5th August 2010, 16:37   #137
BHPian

Thats right folks.. Its an awesome car.. Tried my hands on Ford Figo last week and i am really impressed.. Its a mini Fiesta..No wonder why roads are filled with Figo's nowadays..

But - My only worry about Figo is about the fact of both Fiesta and Figo running on same diesel engine..Because, i own a Fiesta.

Cant help nowadays - smaller hatch have more/equal guts like the sedans. May be i should think of getting my car petted
Old 5th August 2010, 19:22   #138
BHPian

I have owned a swift for 2 yrs (35k kms driven) and now i own a Fiesta 1.6. I have test driven the figo. This is based on my experience with all the 3 cars.

Its Figo all the way. Its simple. Figo is way cheaper, provides more features, comfort, build quality and handling than swift. Both provide almost same FE. Coming to maintenance cost, i am spending same amount of cash on maintaing my Fiesta 1.6 as much as i was spending on my swift (Around 2.8k per service including upholstery cleaning). I am sure Figo maintenance cost will be cheaper.

AC in Figo works better than Swift. The swift is a dud machine with AC on. The cooling effect is also not that effective in swift. Takes longer time to cool the cabin.

The Only 2 places where swift has an upper hand is
1. A couple of more Horses
2. Numerous service centers.
Old 6th August 2010, 15:15   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque123 View Post
The Only 2 places where swift has an upper hand is
1. A couple of more Horses
2. Numerous service centers.
Mileage i suppose is also very good, if one is getting 19+ in city conditions, then it is really nice.
there might be very few cars with such mileage.
Old 19th August 2010, 00:48   #140
h.k
BHPian

a swift is fun to drive and its a maruti at the end of the day so you are much safer. and best part of all this is that u get a great value for money when selling it or re sale value is very high on a swift, the maximum that one loose is about Rs 1lak after using it for 4 yrs, thats swift for you my boy. cheers.
Old 19th August 2010, 10:48   #141
Senior - BHPian

Both cars are good for sure. But Figo is very new compared to Swift. So let the time decide who is the winner.

Also once New Swift is launched, all Figo fuzz will go down. So lets wait for few months to see who will end up on winning note
Old 19th August 2010, 11:03   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.k View Post
its a maruti at the end of the day so you are much safer.
How is it much safer if it is a Maruti ? If you are talking about the after sales part, then I have had first hand experiences with both. I would rate them at par. Ford has come a long way forward in serving it's customers and I have to say that Maruti has gone a long way backward.

Once the new Swift is launched, most probably the Figo will lose it's charm. But whether Swift will retain the fun to drive factor in it's new avtar is yet to be seen. If it does, then it will be a st back for the Figo.
Old 19th August 2010, 14:30   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Also once New Swift is launched, all Figo fuzz will go down.
do you have any news when will the new swift be launched and what will be the additions in the newbie apart from the recently launched k series for petrolheads
Old 19th August 2010, 17:06   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt View Post
do you have any news when will the new swift be launched and what will be the additions in the newbie apart from the recently launched k series for petrolheads
Whatever i have read till now about it, New Swift will try to solve all the flaws it has.
1 It will have more legroom at rear.
2 Improved interiors & quality of it.
3 More refined handling & performance.
4 More styling.
5 Better build (hopefully )
Old 20th August 2010, 09:14   #145
Senior - BHPian

and when it is expected to hit down the roads, because if it coming soon, then i can further extend my purchase date.
Old 20th August 2010, 11:18   #146

figo

after much deliberation i finally booked a figo for dad. it will be delivered in a week
we decided to go for petrol in the end. two factors made me change my mind about buying a diesel. one was the poisonous emissions, and the fact that the diesel prices may be decontrolled soon. i heard that indian government is seriously considering methods to deter the large number of diesel car sales in the country.
one thing that i cannot fathom is that why people still think Maruti after sales is good. my family have been Maruti loyalists in the past, having owned 5 Maruti cars over last 20 years. but we decided to buy one tata car this year (nano) and one ford because of the deterioration in the quality of Maruti service centers. because of the large number of Maruti sales and the blind goat-herd faith of Indian consumers, they have just stopped caring. the quality of service or the courtesy towards customer are not high on their agenda. and their mentality-shift was one very big aspect for my decision.
Old 20th August 2010, 12:31   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by utpal View Post
deterioration in the quality of Maruti service centers. because of the large number of Maruti sales and the blind goat-herd faith of Indian consumers, they have just stopped caring. the quality of service or the courtesy towards customer are not high on their agenda. and their mentality-shift was one very big aspect for my decision.
Sad to hear that ... But it must be problem with your dealer only. I get above expected service here in Pune from Maruti dealer Chowgule. They are the best & there workshop is too good. Recently i serviced my Dzire from them, they gave me in express delivery that means servicing was done in less than 4 hours will all things like washing. They also polished the interiors included in service. Change the tyres for rotation. They also provide free AC cab from show room to service station every half hour through out the day. Also the responsible person called me after 4 days to confirm if i am happy or not. Also someone from service center called to reconfirm it. What else you want?

Anyways congratulation on your purchase. In petrol but i will always prefer Maruti Swift.
Old 21st August 2010, 11:44   #148

wow.. that is an unheard of quality of service. here in the heat of ahmedabad, the Maruti dealer did not even have AC running properly when i went to meet the sales guy. and the guy just handed me the price-printout and mumbled something half heartedly about the car. he just did not seem to have any interest in trying to sell.
Old 21st August 2010, 21:46   #149
BHPian

Go for Figo

I own a Swift VDi which is 53K run and 3 years old.
Wanted to replace the old hard Zen D in the family and have shortlisted another Swift and Figo Diesel. Test drove Figo and impressed with it's space. It is much much more space for rear passengers and bigger boot.
However I am not impressed with it's dashboard display and pick up. That's ok for me. I have done a comparision of spares and service costs between these 2 and found Figo is cheaper than Swift.

Booked a Figo today and will get in 5 days...how cool it is compared to 3 months waiting period. Also it is much cheaper/more value for money for on road cost.

So opt for Figo
Old 22nd August 2010, 22:00   #150
BANNED

[quote=sam_sant2005;2012740]Its still all the same buddy even after that 3 yrs! I took Swift D last month just giving in to the 'thrill' factor. [I had TD'd Figo TDCi thrice, Punto D once, Vista D Once and finally Swift D!]Figo TDCi too again is 'just any diesel' engine. Nothing so special about it (other than a/c, comfort and driving position). Swift is peppy, is lively, it THRILLS.

/quote]

I really do not understand how the Swift would have been peppier than a punto or a vista D . I can tell you that the Figo engine is not "just any diesel engine " . The figo diesel engine is much better designed , refined than the Swift engine . The engine has no noticeable turbo lag , easier to drive in the city and it is as fuel efficient as the swift .

Most Viewed