Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Maruti Swift VDI ABS 174 33.92%
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium 339 66.08%
Voters: 513. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 23:43   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, great thread! and great debate! But didnt anyone notice the below disparity??

1.3L(69bhp) and 1.4L(75bhp) -- Actual figures are vice-versa; 1.3L --> 75bhp & 1.4L - 68bhp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Want to know how would Swift compared to Figo performance with their respective 1.3L(69bhp) and 1.4L(75bhp)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) How can one conclude that ? Figo is nothing but old Fiesta, and its crash rating are similar to what Swift has scored.
And Figo is yet to prove itself here.
The fit and finish might be better in Figo, but I dont think that as far as safety goes, Swift has major disadvantage.

Above that, the Figo is based on older platform, not the latest.

2) This is Ford's own engine, where as the diesel in Swift if from Fiat. Suzuki did pay a lot of money for license. 1.4 has less turbo lag, but is not better IMO. The overall performance and driving pleasure just because of engine would be more in Swift.
From the figures we have, IMO, Swift is better performer with equal or better FE and equal safety.

3) We are not aware of the spare parts price of Figo.
with all due respect to aaggoswami... how many people buy a car based on their platform? I can vouch NOT at least 70-80%! we are talking abt VFM hatchbacks here which cater to the average Indian people who need a decent performance car + reliable one + good mileage! So as far as they hv a car which runs without creating much of a fuss for around 50-60 K kms, they should be happy than bothering about the age of the platform and chassis.

On the safety front, when they have similar crash rating doesnt the extra features provided in Figo makes more sense - That too at almost the same price point?

Owning a swift D, i have many times admired fiesta for a great acceleration from 0 though the engine has 7 bhp less [and I think ford weighs more].

On the price front, I have seen a lot of posts in t-bhp itself saying Ford has got the spare parts prices better in the recent past [especially after the launch of Fiesta]. so things should not go wrong with Figo as well.

Adding to it, I have noticed that the brakes of the swift is the COSTLIEST [I read its 3000/- mentioned in the spare parts list in a service centre] of the entire Maruti family [would not take Vitara into account]! So are we saying Maruti is cheap to maintain?

Lets see how Maruti counters the Figo launch! We are going to have some serious fun in the automotive sector.
Old 12th March 2010, 00:25   #32
BHPian

@ ramsagar

Thanks for the info man... Indeed very useful...can u do the same with the other hatchbacks in place of swift?
Old 12th March 2010, 08:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avinash_R View Post
@ ramsagar

Thanks for the info man... Indeed very useful...can u do the same with the other hatchbacks in place of swift?

My pleasure. Yes it can be, but the price of other hatches doesn't fall into same price point of top end Swift & Figo. I felt it doesn't make any sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Guys, great thread! and great debate! But didnt anyone notice the below disparity??

1.3L(69bhp) and 1.4L(75bhp) -- Actual figures are vice-versa; 1.3L --> 75bhp & 1.4L - 68bhp!
Thankyou. Pardon me for disparity.
Mods:Can you pls do the same. I don't want to get flamed each & every time.
Old 12th March 2010, 10:48   #34
BHPian

Having used cars from both manufacturers (ikon TDCi now and WagonR earlier), I can say for sure that Ford service is not at all costlier.

Figo is the clear winner here, except one big point - resale price. That is something purely driven by market perception and no one can beat a Maruti there, especially diesel. One year old Swift diesels are being sold at close to initial on-road prices!!

Think that is one of the biggest decision points going in favour of Maruti cars. I am sure of Kerala atleast.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:08   #35
Senior - BHPian

Figo sirs, if not for anything, atleast for the safety equipment and rattle free build quality.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:17   #36
BHPian

Figo for me. For the points in ramzsys 's post above and a decent engine. The fiesta engine performs well in cities and is not a bad performer on highways either. The engine simply is not inferior on road unlike in paper. Going by the Ford custom, handling will not be bad.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:32   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I voted for Swift VDi ABS. Figo is very new to the market. I would rethink about this poll probably one year down the lane to see the cost owning a Ford is a equal to the cost of owning the Swift VDi.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:48   #38
Team-BHP Support

The Swift shall continue to sell in more numbers due to its wide spread dealer and service centre network

Ford has its work cut out and it is responding, lets see how this unfolds

for me--
Handling--almost equal in handling department
Ride--Figo has the edge in ride
Engine--both seem equal as far as FE goes and the engine characteristics of Swift may not suit the most of the buying junta though Multijet shall be impressing enthusiasts.
Build quality--Figo

I personally prefer the Ford Figo TDCi Titanium over MS Swift Vdi and it is a winner by a hair's breadth in my case as i feel Figo is a better car overall

OT--For 1.2 liter petrol, i would pick Swift Zxi

^^please correct me if i am wrong somewhere

Last edited by Sheel : 12th March 2010 at 12:49.
Old 12th March 2010, 12:58   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
OT--For 1.2 liter petrol, i would pick Swift Zxi
please correct me if i am wrong somewhere
K-series Eng. rocks in 1.2L category in the present market.
Should say its unbeatable.

Last edited by Ramsagar : 12th March 2010 at 12:59.
Old 12th March 2010, 13:31   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) How can one conclude that ? Figo is nothing but old Fiesta, and its crash rating are similar to what Swift has scored.
And Figo is yet to prove itself here.
The fit and finish might be better in Figo, but I dont think that as far as safety goes, Swift has major disadvantage.

Above that, the Figo is based on older platform, not the latest.
You haven't included the safety feature of abs and airbags available on FIGO which is not available on Swift. This is a major factor while taking safety into consideration.

as for crash rating, the crash done for swift are equipped with airbags and stuff which is not the case in VDI. So i would say, FIGO has better chances of saving you than swift under same condition(hard to replicate). Remember, i am just talking about Titanium and VDI. if you bring in FIGO EXI or ZXI without airbags and abs, i would say both are at par, but not in this case.

swift is also supposedly now an older platform as its new version is coming soon. using an older platform doesn't make FIGO a bad option.

just my 2 cents, you are free to disagree.
Old 12th March 2010, 17:28   #41
BHPian

I would go with Figo, better city handling and yes Ford's VFM. it has better space for rear seat and boot.

Don't think there would be much deviation in spares as most of the parts are localized.

Only advantage i see for Swift is A.S.S.
Old 12th March 2010, 20:31   #42
BHPian

Figo leads in diesel version. So many times, I have seen some enthusiastic guys just ripping Fiestas /Ikon TDCI like anything, when signal turns green. No match for 0-60 kmph and in gear acceleration in 2nd & 3rd .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
K-series Eng. rocks in 1.2L category in the present market.
Should say its unbeatable.
Absolutly right! Infact the K-series engine has been slightly tuned for better pickup in Dzire.
Old 12th March 2010, 20:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

This is such a great thread. I was actually pondering upon this for quite some time . And finally decided to go for the swift diesel.
My decision was backed by reasons like:

1) easy maintainability
2)Mileage advantage (small margin but still)
3) sweeter looking car atleast for me
4)Better engine and performance
5)modifications available
6)cost of ownership and servicing
Old 12th March 2010, 21:39   #44
BHPian

I would go for Figo mainly due to the waiting period Swift has created but at the same time it won't fetch much.Figo and Swift are more or less equal when you compare both.
We have to wait for few months to know the actual winner. A new Swift(2nd gen) launch might make the competition tough.
Old 12th March 2010, 22:07   #45
BHPian

Figo

Figo hands down !
In fact, Figo TDCi is the best diesel hatchback for me.

Points in favour of Figo:
1. Excellent build quality (rattle free)
2. Best drivability & maneuverability (Own a fiesta which is the best handler, so i am rest assured)
3. Extremely Refined, Frugal Engine
4. Good & comfy interior space
5. Large Boot
6. Feels like a big car, handles like a small
7. Superb pricing
8. Great features (ABS + Airbags + Bluetooth Music System)

Mods: Can we have an extended poll here? Comparison of all the diesel hatchbacks - Figo vs Swift vs Ritz vs Punto vs I20 vs Polo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks